mtbr member
    Nov 2011

Looking at Motobecane Phantom Comp? Will a 16 fit me, and should I buy it?

Looking at this one for $600. Seems like a good idea.... I don't know a lot about bikes and this will be my first one. Is this a good buy, or is there anything else I should be considering? I don't want to go over $600, it's already pushing my budget.

They have 16s and 20's in stock left. I'm 5' 5", maybe slightly under. Will this 16" fit me fine?

Thanks... Trying to decide if I should buy ASAP before they go go out of stock.

Oh, I've GOT bike money
    Really good bike for the money. I have a friend that bought a Phantom trail DS bike about 9 months ago, and it has been a really solid bike. He rides 2x per week, including expert trails. I don't know if it's him or the bike, but he hangs with the 29ers. Only thing is the Dart fork has gone stiff recently.

Not sure about the sizing, but they have the geometry on the website, and make sure you check the standover height. This particular frame has a straight top tube, so the standover is a little high for the frame size.

Good luck!

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    i tried to order it a couple days ago and they were out of stock =/ it was a closeout of the 2010. the 2011s are $200 more which is way out of my budget. =[

mtbr member
    Mar 2008

mtbr member
    I just bought a fantom comp and im 5'7 and the 16" fit me perfectly, of course I built it to fit me from the frame up, weighs 22lbs , fox float rl32 forks, ritchey bars and stem carbon post ritchey seat running sram 2x10 and I love the damn thing, I use it to race xc.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    This bike is sweet the only upgrade needed is the chain, which I have done, the original kinda sucks IMHO. I have the same size and model you are interested in but since I am new to this forum I cannot PM xycose. If you are still looking for this bike please pm me some contact info so we can talk thanks.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    At this price is a great deal. Bought mine almost 1 year ago(for 100 bucks more) have changed out seatpost,tires and pedals ,thats it. I am just now replacing chain,saddle,grips because of wear. I am 5'6" ride a 16. The wife is 5"5 and rides it no prob. I ride 3-4 hrs.a week. For the cash this is a very good buy.