mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Looking to buy a Moto...Under $600

A few friends recently bought motobecane bikes and love them. I'm looking for a new bike as I'd like to start riding with them regularly. I will mainly be riding on roads, some dirt trails, and occasionally (maybe 10 times a year), out on paths and what I would consider a little more "true" mountain biking.

I am asking for some advice as I'm 6' and about 235-240 lbs. I was looking at the 600 HT as a reasonable bike since I can get it for around $430. I put in the title under $600, but thats really stretching it, as I'd like to truly stay around $400. From what I read, everyone loves the fantom 29er pro, and the 700 etc but there a lot more expensive.

At my weight (i dont know if thats an issue for these bikes) and price range, is there really a huge difference from one level to the next. I hate the phrase "for your use...this will be fine"...because if I'm going to spend the money I might as well get a good bike once and be done with it. Also, what size bike am I looking at? Any input is greatly appreciated.

mpg
    mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I have the Fantom 29 and am completly satisfied. See my blog at http://motobecanefantom29.blogspot.com/

For $400 get a hardtail like the Windsor Ghost 4700. You can replace any parts that wear out on you but that may be long time for your usage.

Bushwacker
    For only $40 more, I'd get the Windsor Cliff 4900http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/..._cliff4900.htm
    It has better components and some extra granny gears.
    Last edited by Starkonian; 08-31-2008 at 08:25 AM.
    When I'm not windsurfing, I'm mountain biking

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    The Ghosts are full suspension and the Cliffs are hard tails.

The Windsor Ghost 6500 is only $419. http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/..._ghost6500.htm

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Your weight will be an issue. I believe the Dart forks have a limit of 180 lbs or so; the Tora fork on the fantom29 pro is more suited to you. I too would recommend a hardtail.

But be aware that BD does not provide any support for bikes, and their reputation on honoring the bike frame has been iffy.

Mtbr Forum Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by wearetheborg
    But be aware that BD does not provide any support for bikes, and their reputation on honoring the bike frame has been iffy.

This is flat out false

1 - We provide support as good or better than any on-line seller. We stock all parts including hangers all the time. We often sell customers replacement parts they have worn out or crashed for dealer cost. {no retailer I know of besides us will sell you a new wheel or fork that you totalled in a crash for cost - we do all the time}

2 - We stand behind warranties on every bike we sell. Some customers expect however that if something breaks it should be replaced with being inspected. No retailer or brand does that. The fact is: we give customers more support on warranty claims than any company I know of.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I can only speak from my own experience, but I bought a BD bike.

I haven't had any problems with the bike, so I don't have any personal experience regarding problems with the bike itself. I did change my mind about an order that I had already placed and paid for. BD was very accommodating, and took care of the change without any hassles, even though the mistake was mine and they had no obligation to make the switch.

They're not going to send a tech to your house when your bike shifts a little rough, if that's the kind of support you're looking for. Based on my dealings with them, I think they would take care of a legitimate problems that could be handled in a reasonable way.

FWIW-

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    You'll probably need the Tora 318 Solo Air for your weight (or maybe not if its mostly roads?)...find the cheapest bike with that part...or find a cheap one on ebay or craigslist. I was in the same boat as you: Big guy wanting to spend as little as possible...I ended up with the Fantom 29 Pro after the guru's here helped out. It's like a buck a day for a year for the difference

P

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    All...thanks for info thus far. I have looked for the fantom pro and read a bunch on the forum about them and how everyone loves them. The cheapest I see them for is $795. Anyone know where I can get one cheaper than that?

Also...someone mentioned something about the weight limit on the rockshox dart fork. I searched on google for awhile, but can't seem to find anything on it. Anyone know where to look for that. And, lets say the fork does go due to me weighing 240ish...how much would a new "good" fork cost that will last awhile?

The Windsor Cliff 4900 seems to have very similar parts when compared to the fantom 29. Minus the 26 vs. 29 argument, what really is the difference in the two. I see the windsor has that rock shox dart fork...so again, how much would it cost to replace, and am I really that much better off with a 29.

Thanks again to everyone/anyone who responds.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by cdh1881
    The cheapest I see them for is $795. Anyone know where I can get one cheaper than that?
    That's the best you will find new. They are only sold by 1 vendor (bikesdirect aka Cycle Spectrum if there is a store by you).

Google the TORA 318 fork to see the prices. You're better off buying the Pro the first time if that's the way you're going to go.

Former Bike Wrench
    I highly recommend you stick with a hardtail for your price range. Too many comprimises have to be made for full suspension at your price range. The bikes your looking at all have the RS Dart which does not have a weight limit of 180lbs. However the X-Firm spring that you'll have to purchase (they all come with the medium spring which is designed for 140-160lbs riders) is rated for 180lbs+. At 235-240lbs you are severely pushing the max spring rate.

I would recommend the Cliff 4900 if your looking at a 26er. If your willing to get closer to the $600 budget, check out either the Windsor Cliff 29er Comp or the Moto Fantom 29.