Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Mar 2012

Letter to mike, bikesdirect problems

Since mike from bikesdirect.com, his profile says he hasn't been active in a while, I thought I would post a message I sent him, in case he does not get the one I PMed.

"Hello,

I have been having major issues with my fantom pro ds since the day I got it (three weeks ago). The avid elixir brakes were broken from the start (the pistons are at a / \ angle instead of parallel, causing a whistling and constant rubbing while the bike is in motion). I have been to two bikes shops and spent two hundred dollars in labor fees and they have not been able to fix it. SRAM is not warrantying it either. SRAM said it is your guys' responsibility to replace it. Since I have been through the ringer of three weeks waiting to get my brakes working to no avail, I got too frustrated and just bought Shimano brakes which needed more labor fees to get installed. I do not know what to do with the avid elixir brakes since they are broken, and have been since day one. I have been emailing Matt but all he sends me are google links.

Next, I get constant chain suck, even though the bike has been tuned up, twice. Yes, the initial tune up, plus a second one at the advice of Matt. The only help he has been is by sending google links. At this point I think it is the crank that is causing the problem because I have been babying the gears since day one and I am not a hard pedaler at all. I use this bike on flatland roads, going up to fifteen mph. I do not know what to do about this either, since it is a warranty issue as well. None of the two bikes shops have any answers for the chain suck, since the bike is perfectly tuned. I have also spent $100 replacing the chain and cassette, hoping to fix the problem, but it hasn't worked.

Anyway, the reason I got this bike is because my specialized Allez elite, a $1500 bike, was stolen from me in broad daylight march 2nd, while it was locked with a master cable lock, the thick, thick kind. I live in Santa Barbara too, which is a safe city. Since then, I have not had a bike to ride, and I am used to biking thirty miles a day since it is my main form of commute. However, with the fantom pro ds, I have only had a chance to ride it one hundred miles, on the days that the bike shop was too busy to work on it, and it has been giving me constant problems, and I am constantly feeding money into it. My thirty day warranty with you guys is almost up, and I have had my bike four days to use.

What do I do? I have no idea what to do with my broken elixirs, which were broken from out of the box. Neither bike shop can fix it, and SRAM isn't going to pay for it either. Plus, I get chain suck every ten miles...it has happen thirteen times in my one hundred miles I have put on the bike, on flatland, no hills (Santa Barbara is not hilly, except in the mountains). The bike shops cannot fix the chain suck, and the only way I was able to fix my brake issue was to just give up and buy working brakes.

Please help me...I am not getting help from Matt other than google links and my thirty day warranty with you guys is almost up."

mtbr member
    Strange....I had a problem with my rockshox fork. Matt was great. Rockshox (SRAM) sent the part to him and he forward it to me. No questions asked.

That doesn't help you, just strange how 2 experiences can differ so greatly with the same 2 companies.

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    You sure sram said that "it's BD's responsibility to replace" the brakes ? They won't accept warranty returns direct from the consumer or send parts directly to you. I believe they meant BD has to initiate the warranty procedure.

mtbr member
    I have done several warranty and non warranty returns with bikesdirect and Matt they have always been super quick and understanding. So many brake issues (avid is really touchy) are because of setup and even "top" LBS mechanics don't really know what the heck they are doing. When you get recommended a particular brake from a shop it could be because thats the kind they know best.

have u tried posting in the brake time forum?

---
    I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?opf0fj

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by 92gli View Post
    You sure sram said that "it's BD's responsibility to replace" the brakes ? They won't accept warranty returns direct from the consumer or send parts directly to you. I believe they meant BD has to initiate the warranty procedure.
    After dealing with my lbs for almost three weeks, and them calling SRAM multiple times, they told me that it is the responsibility of the one who sold me the brakes if they were sent to me broken (SRAM and my lbs both said this). Thats how it usually is in retail. If it breaks after the dealers warranty, then it is SRAMs responsibility. I guess that's how they're looking at it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I bought shimanos because of the reviews on here, and I did post on the brake forum. Today was my first day with the shimanos, and wow. Now I know what it's like to have a working brake, so it's no excuse for SRAM to make such, excuse my French, shitty products that cause so many problems and headaches. I had two lbss look at my brakes and neither could get them right, after three separate adjustments, there were always problems, and there were always new, different ones popping up. Matt offered to contact SRAM but, I dunno, I've lost a lot of faith.

mtbr member
    Why don't you just box it up and send it back for a refund? Yeah, you will eat the shipping, but at least you aren't dumping money into a bike that has a lot of problems.
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by brf4n View Post
    After dealing with my lbs for almost three weeks, and them calling SRAM multiple times, they told me that it is the responsibility of the one who sold me the brakes if they were sent to me broken (SRAM and my lbs both said this). Thats how it usually is in retail. If it breaks after the dealers warranty, then it is SRAMs responsibility. I guess that's how they're looking at it.
    Well, thats wrong. Bikes direct didn't make the brakes. But they could have called sram and gotten an authorization to send them in for replacement. ANY shop that sells sram products can do it. Problems with elixirs are well known, its not like sram hasn't heard this before.

I just had a fork fixed by sram. The warranty repair was initiated and it was shipped to sram by a local shop, but I bought it from a dealer 300 miles away.

I think the shop gave you some BS to get you to buy a set of new brakes from them.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I had a BB start creaking shortly after I bought my bike. I emailed Matt and he had a new BB in the mail the same day. Haven't had any other problems..."knock on wood".

mtbr member
    And I'd like to know why bikesdirect.com doesn't have a search function on their site!

mtbr member
    I had a problem with a Shimano shifter on a road bike I bought from BD. They sent a new shifter the next day. The service was great... on the other hand I had an issue with a two year old Tora fork that I bought from Performance. Performance said nothing was wrong with it. I took it to REI to have the seals replaced and they said "something is wrong with your fork, we called SRAM and they are going to warranty this one and send you a new one". When I went to pick up the bike a couple weeks later SRAM had sent a Recon fork instead because they were out of Toras at the time. Some bike shops get it right. Some suck at service. My point is that just because one bike shop tells you that they can't help you with warranty claims it doesn't mean that it is law. Try at least three shops before you give up on the warranty claims.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    I have dealt with Matt at Bikes Direct many times. I have had nothing but stellar experiences with them. I think there must be some sort of disconnect between you guys.

That being said, Avid brakes aren't known for thier ease of setup, bleeding, or maintainence. As a matter a fact, they are quite the opposite. I gotta tell you that I seriously doubt the "talent" at my 3 LBSS would be able to work on them. It is also quite possible that they are trying to teach you a lesson for not buying local. I am certinaly not accusing them of this but it is not out of the rhelm of possibility.

I ride Avids and I can tell you that when they are on, they are unbelieveable. Brute force stoping power. When they are off, they are a pain in the ass. Shimano brakes, IMO are the gold standard. They have a better feel and dont require constant maintainence. Wish I had a set.

While Bikes Direct is a terrific vendor, it may not be the best choice for you. With several trips to the LBS for wrenching in the frist month, it may be a better choice for you to buy local. Most shops will wrench on your bike for free when you purchase it from them, which is one of the factors in the initial cost. Just some food for thought.

What ever way you end up, I wish you the best of luck.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    everything got sorted out.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Do you guys like bikes direct in general?

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by brf4n View Post
    everything got sorted out.
    Would you be willing to tell us what BD did to sort everything out?

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Solid Orange View Post
    Would you be willing to tell us what BD did to sort everything out?
    after i told them i was unhappy with my avid elixir crs, and that i spent a bunch of money at the shop trying to get them to fix it, and how the shop couldn't get sram to do anything about it, bikes direct called sram and not only got them to replace my brakes, but to upgrade them.

however, by that time i bought another pair of brakes, since i needed brakes, so i am going to be getting a new pair of brakes from bikes direct in the mail which are going to go on ebay.

about the chain suck, i just fixed that myself by removing the third ring, which i would've done anyway since the third ring is kind of useless.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by adrenalineeagle View Post
    Do you guys like bikes direct in general?
    i think after everything is said and done, bikes direct is pretty awesome. the bikes they have are amazing (i still can't believe i got the bike i got for $1600, compared to the bikes they sell in the shops here in santa barbara for 3x that price). the customer service turned out to be great too compared to other shops - there have never really been any moments in the email logs where i had a really bad feeling that i made a huge mistake.

i didn't really take too much of a gamble with them though - i just bought the bike with the best ratings on here (4.59/5). i'd say if you were going to get a bike through them, to check the reviews on here first to make sure you will not have any questions. i was lucky that my bike got mostly 5/5s on everything and a couple 4/5s.

it's kinda funny, someone at the lbs, when i was getting my bike tuned, also got a bikes direct bike, the kestral red/black road bike. it looked (and probably rode) better than any road bike they had in the shop. it looked so mean in real life! now it's only $1300, for carbon everything and shimano 105. dang.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012

Bikesdirect.com just ruined my vacations

I ordered.
    They took my money, they sent my an email that my bike was shipped, 4 days later they decided that it was not truth, that they did not ship it.
    I am living on a bike trip next week.
    I knew something was wrong about this company
    The CEO writes, that he checks constantly this forum to provide costumer satisfaction.
    I doubt it.
    BE AWARE ONCE A COMPANY LIES, IS VERY DANGEROUS.
    What a bad experience

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    too bad this post is on friday

on monday, call 904-249-2453

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by simonito View Post
    I ordered.
    They took my money, they sent my an email that my bike was shipped, 4 days later they decided that it was not truth, that they did not ship it.
    The CEO writes, that he checks constantly this forum to provide costumer satisfaction.
    I doubt it.
    What a bad experience
    Which bike model did you order?

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    I ordered.
    I doubt it.
    What a bad experience
    You created an account so, with your first post, you can get on here and flame someone?

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I ordered.
    I doubt it.
    What a bad experience
    So you order a bike one week before a trip and you believe that's enough time for shipping, assembling, tuning and the dial in?

LOL

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Based on spelling, grammar, and punctuation, I'm guessing he bought a pre-order bike and failed to read details.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by lardo View Post
    So you order a bike one week before a trip and you believe that's enough time for shipping, assembling, tuning and the dial in?

LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Winsecure View Post
    Based on spelling, grammar, and punctuation, I'm guessing he bought a pre-order bike and failed to read details.
    Yea that!

Unfortunately there is now a rant against a company that probally doesn't deserve the bad review. I will hold judgement until I hear further explanation but ALL of my experiences(yes I have many) with Bikes Direct has been exemplary!

newfydog
    May 2009
    When you pre-order a bike you get a tracking number long before it ships. It usually ships on the predicted date. Read the details before you buy.

I've got to say though, their website is busy and these details are not front and center.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast