• 05-07-2010
    jtmoyer99
    Just ordered a Windsor Cliff 29.1... New Here!
    I was big into BMX until I was 16, then I got my driver's license and kind of grew out of it. I used to race, dirt jump, do street and even went to Camp Woodward two summers.

    Now 8 years later, I'm married and my wife wanted to get a bike as a way to exercise and something enjoyable for us to do together. We found her a cheap mountain bike on craigslist and I've been riding around one of my old BMX bikes! I was pretty excited to wipe the dust off and bring it out of the basement, but riding it isn't the same as I remember. It's too small and I look pretty silly on it I think.

    I looked at mountain bikes at the local bike shop, but I didn't like the shocks and gearing, and the price was way over budget. I thought about getting a BMX cruiser (24"), but then stumbled on the single speed 29ers.

    I saw a both good and bad reviews for BikesDirect.com, but most of the bad was silly stuff. I used to work on my bikes so I see no reason why I couldn't put together essentially a giant BMX bike. I know it's not the best bike in the world, but in reality I'm probably only going to be riding it up and down a gravel trail so I'm sure it will be perfect for me.

    Anyway, sorry for rambling and I'm looking forward to my new bike!

    Does anyone have this bike? Thoughts?
  • 05-07-2010
    Slee_Stack
    Sounds like the right kind of bike for you. Enjoy!

    Its safe to say that the vast majority of BikesDirect bike buyers are happy with their purchase. Post pixs after you get it.
  • 05-07-2010
    bRyAZSig228
    Congrats and welcome to the forum. plenty of members owns that bike so i'm sure they'll chim in here soon.
  • 05-11-2010
    Breitness24
    congrats many own it and many are waiting for the delivery including myself which comes on thursday!!!..
  • 05-11-2010
    Moto Rider
    Nice bike...what color did you order?
  • 05-12-2010
    jtmoyer99
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Breitness24
    congrats many own it and many are waiting for the delivery including myself which comes on thursday!!!..

    I just checked UPS and mine is currently out for delivery.

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Moto Rider
    Nice bike...what color did you order?

    I got a 19" in Matte Black.
  • 05-12-2010
    TwoHeadsBrewing
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by jtmoyer99
    I just checked UPS and mine is currently out for delivery.


    I got a 19" in Matte Black.


    woohoo! Definitely post some pics when you get it built.
  • 05-12-2010
    Moto Rider
    You know, you read all the time about BD high-end offerings. However, they have some pretty nice stuff on the other side of the scale. The bike you picked is darn nice one and so is the DeadEye for $319... sh*t, that looks like a fun bike also. My favorite just for itís total simplicity and that rockn Orange!!! It might not WoW! them at the trail head but they WoW! your wallet...:D

    http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...s/IMG_4317.jpg


    Was it the available disc brakes & color that sold you on the Clift 29.1? What ever the reason At $369 thatís another good deal.

    http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...s/IMG_3790.jpg

    Anyway, congrats.:thumbsup:
  • 05-12-2010
    jtmoyer99
    1 Attachment(s)
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Moto Rider
    You know, you read all the time about BD high-end offerings. However, they have some pretty nice stuff on the other side of the scale. The bike you picked is darn nice one and so is the DeadEye for $319... sh*t, that looks like a fun bike also. My favorite just for it’s total simplicity and that rockn Orange!!! It might not WoW! them at the trail head but they WoW! your wallet...:D

    Was it the available disc brakes & color that sold you on the Clift 29.1? What ever the reason At $369 that’s another good deal.

    Anyway, congrats.:thumbsup:

    It was pretty much the disc brakes that sold me on the Windsor over the Dawes. I also loved the matte black.

    I put it together after work. Came packed well without a scratch on it. It was pretty straight forward. I had a little problem with the disc brakes because I've never seen them before, but figured it out. Took a little over an hour taking my time.

    I didn't get to take it for a long ride, but I went up and down the street a few times and it felt great. I'm VERY pleased with the purchase. I'd also recommend BikesDirect.com to anyone. We're actually looking to get my wife a bike from them now.

    Wheels are slightly out of true, but I'll dig out my spoke wrench and fix it myself.

    Edit: I was also surprised how light it is. It's wayyyyy lighter than my old street/dirt bmx bike.
  • 05-12-2010
    Moto Rider
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by jtmoyer99
    It was pretty much the disc brakes that sold me on the Windsor over the Dawes. I also loved the matte black.

    I put it together after work. Came packed well without a scratch on it. It was pretty straight forward. I had a little problem with the disc brakes because I've never seen them before, but figured it out. Took a little over an hour taking my time.

    I didn't get to take it for a long ride, but I went up and down the street a few times and it felt great. I'm VERY pleased with the purchase. I'd also recommend BikesDirect.com to anyone. We're actually looking to get my wife a bike from them now.

    Wheels are slightly out of true, but I'll dig out my spoke wrench and fix it myself.

    Edit: I was also surprised how light it is. It's wayyyyy lighter than my old street/dirt bmx bike.

    Looks Awesome!! :)
  • 05-23-2010
    marzocchiz2
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by jtmoyer99
    It was pretty much the disc brakes that sold me on the Windsor over the Dawes. I also loved the matte black.

    I put it together after work. Came packed well without a scratch on it. It was pretty straight forward. I had a little problem with the disc brakes because I've never seen them before, but figured it out. Took a little over an hour taking my time.

    I didn't get to take it for a long ride, but I went up and down the street a few times and it felt great. I'm VERY pleased with the purchase. I'd also recommend BikesDirect.com to anyone. We're actually looking to get my wife a bike from them now.

    Wheels are slightly out of true, but I'll dig out my spoke wrench and fix it myself.

    Edit: I was also surprised how light it is. It's wayyyyy lighter than my old street/dirt bmx bike.

    I'm looking into buying this bike as well for a commuter bike so stand over height is pretty important. You said you went with the 19" correct? If you don't mind me asking, How tall are you and what is your inseam and how is the stand over height for you? This isn't as big of an issue, but what would you estimate the bikes weight to be? Thanks in advance. The bike looks sweet by the way!
  • 05-23-2010
    jtmoyer99
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by marzocchiz2
    I'm looking into buying this bike as well for a commuter bike so stand over height is pretty important. You said you went with the 19" correct? If you don't mind me asking, How tall are you and what is your inseam and how is the stand over height for you? This isn't as big of an issue, but what would you estimate the bikes weight to be? Thanks in advance. The bike looks sweet by the way!

    Yes, I got the 19". It weighs 28.6lbs according to my bathroom scale.

    I'm a tad over 5' 11" with no shoes and wear 32" length jeans. Bike fits me well.
  • 04-20-2011
    TallChris
    @ JTMOYER99: so, almost 1 year later, what are your impressions now? Still riding the 29.1, still pleased with it? I'm considering buying this as a re-entry bike myself. Thanks!
  • 04-20-2011
    jtmoyer99
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by TallChris
    @ JTMOYER99: so, almost 1 year later, what are your impressions now? Still riding the 29.1, still pleased with it? I'm considering buying this as a re-entry bike myself. Thanks!

    Still have it, although I haven't ridden much lately. We purchased a "new" 100 year old house in October and pretty much all my free time has been put into working on that. No issues, except the brakes still suck.
  • 04-21-2011
    TallChris
    Can someone tell me the difference between the Dawes Bullseye and the Windsor Cliff 29.1? I'm comparing them side-by-side and read the entire Deadeye threat on the SS forum so I'm familiar with the common issues to the Deadeye and Bullseye.

    Are the wheelsets for the Bullseye and 29.1 essentially the same?
    Thanks!