The Karaoke Ninja
    Aug 2008

Just ordered Motobecane Fantom Comp DS

Hello everyone. I just ordered a Motobecane Fantom Comp DS from Bikesdirect. Here's the link to what I bought:

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...mcomp_ds08.htm

Does anyone who already has the bike have any suggestions/advice for me? Parts to be wary of, setup tips, etc? I've done some searching of this site already and will continue to do so, but any info is appreciated. Not new to mtb, but its been quite a few years and technology has changed a lot since then. Anyways, I can't wait to get my bike!

aka übermensch
    Have fun on your new Moto. Post pics of it when you get it.

2 things to upgrade/get rid of immediately:

Pedals: FREE Gravity DualStage Clipless/Platform. These are junk, get flats or clipless.
    Chain: Z9000 super narrow 9 speed. Spend some money on a new chain right away. You'll be glad that you did.
    08 Ibis Mojo SL
    09 Ibis Tranny SingleSpeed

Former Bike Wrench
    If you don't fall within the 140-160 lbs riding range (you+ filled hydration pack and other items carried in the pack) then look at getting a new spring kit for the fork
    Soft (yellow) <140lbs
    Med/Stock (red) 140-160lbs
    Firm (blue) 160-180lbs
    X-Firm (black) 180lbs+ (good to about 210lbs)

The Karaoke Ninja
    Aug 2008
    Thanks mtnbiker72 and übermensch. I weigh right about 180, so I'll definitely look into either the firm or xfirm spring kit for the fork. I've read in more than one place about that chain being the "weak link" of the bike so that will probably be the first thing I upgrade. Any suggestions? Thanks for the advice so far. This is exactly the kind of information I'm looking for. I will definitely post pics when it arrives.

Former Bike Wrench
    I've been riding for quite a while and am a BIG SRAM fan...but their chains just aren't what they used to be.

My all time favorite 9 speed chain is the Shimano CN-7701 (XTR) with either a SRAM Powerlink or ConneX link for ease of removal for cleaning. It shifts WAY better than SRAM or Connex chains (even on SRAM cassettes) and is very durable. They can often be found online for around $25 plus shipping...or at a LBS for about $38. The SRAM or ConneX links cost about $5

aka übermensch
    I'm glad mtnbiker72 mentioned the spring. I had forgotten about that. Although I shouldn't have. It took a fairly nasty spill for me to realize I needed to upgrade my spring. As far as what brand of chain you should get, anything from shimano or sram will be a vast improvement to the stock junk. Personally, I've been using a Sram without any issues.
    08 Ibis Mojo SL
    09 Ibis Tranny SingleSpeed

The Karaoke Ninja
    Aug 2008

Bike Arrived!

Alright, the bike came last week but haven't had a chance to start putting it together until today. I'll post pictures and more later. Right now though I have a question, and it may sound stupid to all of you but its been 10-15 years since I've owned a bike. Anyway, everything went together pretty easily, but it appears that the fork for the front wheel sits on the threads of the hollow bolt (that the quick-release bolt runs through) in the center of the front wheel (I'll get a picture up shortly). This just doesn't seem right? Anyone understand what I'm talking about?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by karaokeninja; 09-03-2008 at 10:13 PM.

Former Bike Wrench

You mean the Axle

Quote Originally Posted by karaokeninja
    Anyway, everything went together pretty easily, but it appears that the fork for the front wheel sits on the threads of the hollow bolt (that the quick-release bolt runs through) in the center of the front wheel (I'll get a picture up shortly). This just doesn't seem right? Anyone understand what I'm talking about?
    Those are called axles and axles are where the frame and fork attach to the hub

The Karaoke Ninja
    Aug 2008
    You're right, the axles are what I'm talking about. Done some more reading and I'm understanding everything a little bit better now. Still don't entirely get the concept of the fork sitting on threads (every axle I've ever seen was smooth) but that seems to be the way its supposed to be. Again, new to bikes, so forgive my lack of knowledge on this.
    Last edited by karaokeninja; 09-03-2008 at 10:10 PM.

The Karaoke Ninja
    Aug 2008

Pics

They're a little dark, but she's all in one piece now!

Bushwacker
    Looks nice. Post some trail pics when you can.
    When I'm not windsurfing, I'm mountain biking

Former Bike Wrench

Cup and cone hubs have threaded axles

Quote Originally Posted by karaokeninja
    You're right, the axles are what I'm talking about. Done some more reading and I'm understanding everything a little bit better now. Still don't entirely get the concept of the fork sitting on threads (every axle I've ever seen was smooth) but that seems to be the way its supposed to be. Again, new to bikes, so forgive my lack of knowledge on this.
    Most hubs that use cup and cone bearings (or loose ball) generally have threaded axles. The bearings are adjusted by tightening or loosening the cones so you need some way to do this. A threaded axle is the most simple way. Some cup and cone hubs don't have threaded axles on the ends (high end Shimano XT and XTR for instance)...but most do. Sealed cartridge bearing hubs often do not have threaded axles because the axle is press fit. So if your old bike had something like the old Bullseye hubs or Hugi hubs, then you wouldn't have threads on the axles.