mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Just ordered! - Motobecane Fantom 29PRO

After trying to find a good bike locally, I just took the plunge on a Motobecane Fantom 29PRO in Silver from bikesdirect. My big bro, who is an avid MTB'er has been looking out for me and recommended I go with the 29er. Says it will be a "smooth" ride on the trails.

I'm relatively new to the world of MTB and will be entering my first Adventure Race in the next month or so. Looking forward to breaking this bike in on some trails...or maybe I will be the one broken In any case, I'm excited to get the bike after reading the good reviews here on the forum.

Future owner of a Motobecane Fantom 29PRO...
    -yallrob

Former Bike Wrench
    Picture(s) are mandatory when you get it built up. If you (or your bro) are not well trained in bicycle mechanics...pay a respected LBS to build it up for you. You don't want any breakdowns during an adventure race!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Will definitely post some pics once she arrives.

My bro is pretty well versed...he's riden in several 24 hour endurance races, biked Moab and the North Rim, etc. He and his wife have been mtb'ing for years. He has actually built several of his own frames then assembled from the ground up. He told me I had to 'earn' it before he would build one for me. I'm pretty confident he can get me up and running. He lives several hours away and I told him I would take it to a LBS to get setup and he said "No, I'll drive up and we'll put it together". Very cool - brother bonding time. Hopefully he'll bring his ride and we can hit the trails.

They both tried to get me hooked several years ago but I wasn't too interested back then. Somehow I now have the 'bug'. Maybe its the race coming up, maybe it's because I need to get in shape...but whatever it is I'm so looking forward to the rides.

Looks like the bike might ship in the next day or so. Hope to be on it Labor Day weekend!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    You're going to like the bike

P

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Thanks! From what I've read on the forums here, folks love it. Was kind of concerned at first with it being a 29er, but don't think that will be an issue since I haven't ridden a 26 in years anyway...

Just got UPS confirmation the bike will get here Monday!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    The Fantom Pro 29'er arrived last week. First impressions as I pulled it out of the box...this thing has massive wheels!

Took the bike to SC this past weekend for some help from my bro in setting her up. We took our time and got her built, then went out to FATS (Fork Area Trail System) to break her in. What a ride! This bike is smooth and fast. The wheels seem soak up the bumps nicely. The Tora shock seems to be a little spongy even at 190psi (I weigh in at about 200lbs), however it rode just fine for me. The lockout is a nice feature as well. The Juicy brakes saved me more than once and are quick/responsive with a little adjusting. Overall I'm very happy with my 29'er purchase from BD.

I also put a hitch on my '02 Beetle, along with a XPort Flatbed rack. Works very nice.

I have pics of the bike and hitch/rack setup, and will post them tonight - after I ride Blankets Creek

mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Pics of my new Motobecane Fantom Pro 29

aka übermensch
    Is it just me, or does silver seem to be his favorite color? The bike, the Beetle, and the Ridgeline...lol. Nice looking bike, have fun on it.
    08 Ibis Mojo SL
    09 Ibis Tranny SingleSpeed

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Looks that way. The Ridgeline belongs to my bro...guess it's a family thing

SALLGUD
    Good on you Rob. Your big bro and I talked about the bike quite a bit before you ordered it. I stopped by Russell's house last night to talk about your new bike. He said you had a blast on FATS.

Hope you enjoy your new steed! I was out of town when you came through, but either you'll be back here or we'll hit Blankets soon and we'll all have a good ride.

That, or you could make it a point to be at SORBA/CSRA's BikeFest in November. Lots of food and good riding. Camping at Petersburg. November 8th.

Michael

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by azdrawdy
    Good on you Rob. Your big bro and I talked about the bike quite a bit before you ordered it. I stopped by Russell's house last night to talk about your new bike. He said you had a blast on FATS.

Hope you enjoy your new steed! I was out of town when you came through, but either you'll be back here or we'll hit Blankets soon and we'll all have a good ride.

That, or you could make it a point to be at SORBA/CSRA's BikeFest in November. Lots of food and good riding. Camping at Petersburg. November 8th.

Michael
    Thanks! Yes, FATS was awesome. I especially enjoyed the ride through "the Dark Side". When I rode Blankets last week, I went down twice - once pretty hard. All part of the ride. Bike rides great though when I'm on it I appreciate you and Russell getting together to help me figure out the best way to go. I haven't been dissappointed.

Heck yeah, anytime y'all are up this way let me know and we will hit the trails. That would be great. I know of another trail called PineLog, but I haven't ridden it yet.

If I can make it, the SORBA BikeFest sounds like a great time as well.

-Rob

mtbr member
    Feb 2008

Nice bike! But one thing...

The Fantom20Pro is a cool bike. No doubt. But the one thing that worries me for you is the pedals. (smile). I can't tell exactly from the pics, but if your pedals have plastic (resin) bodies and you plan to stay with platfom/BMX style pedals, try to get some aluminum or magnesium body platform/BMX pedals. I heard some bad stories about resin body pedals breaking under load from some folks. They're just too dangerous. .Bike companies put them on bikes sometimes to keep them within a certain price range. Check the MTBR product reviews and use the MTBR search and ask the guys on the forums about a good pair of platforms.(flats) Jenson, Price Point , Cambria , Wheelworld, and danscomp.com have some good selections. Enjoy your bike Dude!---zarr Correct spindle size? 9/16
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Yes, that is one upgrade I will be doing in the not to distant future. I would like to go clipless - for power on the up stroke as well. I rode last night and had a couple of close calls when my feet came off the pedals 'cause I was trying to 'pull up' with my legs as I was ascending a hill. They seem solid, but like you say I don't want to risk it

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Your pics look better than the bike does on the website! Verrrry sweet looking! How has the bike been performing as of late? Kinda funny how the bike looks sooo big/wide in comparison to your beetle. LOL!

mtbr member
    Dec 2008

Motobecane Fantom 29PRO

I am currently riding a Fisher Sugar 03 XL full suspension bike. Been thinking about this Fantom in a 21". I'm 6'-6" with a 36" inseam. Will this be big enough for me? Will I like a hardtail after riding a full suspension? Is $795 to good to be true? Garp.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I have a 34" inseam and my 19" is a perfect fit. I thought the price was too good to be true also however I am very pleasantly surprised. This is a solid bike with high end components. My suggestion is to go ride a comparable 29er bike with similar components and see what you think. The price is well worth it. I love this bike! I put on road tires in order to commute to work and it flys like a road bike. It gives me great versatility.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008

Motobecane

Quote Originally Posted by jagsr71
    I have a 34" inseam and my 19" is a perfect fit. I thought the price was too good to be true also however I am very pleasantly surprised. This is a solid bike with high end components. My suggestion is to go ride a comparable 29er bike with similar components and see what you think. The price is well worth it. I love this bike! I put on road tires in order to commute to work and it flys like a road bike. It gives me great versatility.
    So the 21" should fit me very well then. At this price, I don't think I need to put too much thought into it. $795 including shipping for these components just sounds like a steal. Thanks for the reply!

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Team Garp
    So the 21" should fit me very well then. At this price, I don't think I need to put too much thought into it. $795 including shipping for these components just sounds like a steal. Thanks for the reply!
    I wish I could make a decision as quickly as you. I'm about a 35" inseam and 6'3" and I can't decide between the 19" and the 21". I've had people tell me both. I asked BD and they suggested the 21".

mtbr member
    Dec 2008

Frame size

I would go with the 21" for sure. My buddy just bought a 19" frame on a Fisher 29er. It fits him perfectly and he is only 6'-0" with a 33" inseam. Some things to be aware of on the Moto: It comes with a Schraeder valve for some reason...not the easiest tube to find. It also comes with a very short seat post that I had to quickly replace in order to ride. Other than that, I like it.

noob
    yallrob, I noticed you ride at Blankets. I am nearby in Kennesaw and ride Blankets a few times a month. When will you be at Blankets next? I'd like to see the Fantom Pro 29 in person as I am considering buying one as well.....

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Lightspeed
    yallrob, I noticed you ride at Blankets. I am nearby in Kennesaw and ride Blankets a few times a month. When will you be at Blankets next? I'd like to see the Fantom Pro 29 in person as I am considering buying one as well.....
    Good choice. I'm putting a Tora fork on my Motobecane Fantom29 build as soon as possible. Good bike.
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Just wondering what is the true weight for this Fanton 29Pro because I'm thinking to buy it soon.
    thanks

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    My 19in Fantom 29Pro 31lbs. Stock except 2 bottle brackets and long seat post.