mtbr member
    May 2008

Just got my 600DS...

I'm pleasantly surprised with most about the new ride. The components really are the kind you'd find on a much higher price point bike from a shop. It really was well packaged and suffered no ill effects from its ride on the UPS truck (although the box was a little worse for the wear). I plan on doing some light trail riding and commuting the one mile to work each day. If you have any recommendations for an all purpose tire I would love to hear them. BTW, the matte slate is an awesome color, the pictures on bikesdirect.com do not do it justice, especially with the black rims and other black components. The welds were done very well, the "stacked coin" look that everyone says to look for was in full effect. Very tight.

I'm far from an expert, and this is my first foray into a dual suspension mountain bike. Like many have said, the rear spring is far too beefy, and I will need to replace it at some point. That's saying a lot as I am a pretty big guy, 6'1" 245 lbs (think linebacker more than big front porch...lol). Another out of the box disappointment was the seat post. Again, as I have read on other threads, it is far too long. I had to take it to the local shop and get about 4" cut off to be able to reach the pedals comfortably.

Also, I need a little help here guys. I've successfully assembled the bike with the brakes properly adjusted and the wheels rolling true. However, I have yet to get it to successfully change gears. It appears as if the cables have the proper tension. Still no changing gears. I may be missing something obvious....again, I'm far from expert and right on the cusp of novice when it comes to these things.

Help a brother out...please. I plan on posting some pics in the next couple of days.

Thanks all,

Casey - Central Arkansas

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I have about 3 weeks now with my 700DS and have changed out many components. Mainly the no name parts. If you need help with sizes, I can probably help (I think it is basically the same frame). I'm getting new wheels on tuesday so I'll post a pic of my MOTO on wednesday. As far as your problem, I believe on the front derauiller there are A and B adjustment screws. On the really super long and boring instruction guide they send along with the bike it should have all the info you need. Mine wouldn't shift from the middle ring to the big ring so I read the troubleshooting guide, tweeked it and it shifts fine.
    Last edited by AGENT_DICE; 05-10-2008 at 11:55 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I'll check that out. Thanks. As far as the bikes being similar, I'm pretty sure that whole series uses the same frame. At least the 400 through the 700 anyway. Post what you've done and where you got the components. I'd be very interested in that.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I have changed out all the Skye stuff and I added some CatEye front and rear lights because this is also my commuter bike to and from work. I live 3.5 miles from work so this set-up is perfect being that gas will be over $4.00 a gallon. I figure if I ride to and from work all this year then I should have my bike and component upgrades paid off just with all the money I saved on gas, and the killer exercise I'm getting. Anyways, I got everything from ebay pretty damm cheap compared to my LBS. A 50 to 75 percent savings

CatEye HL-EL520 w/ H-32 mount
    CatEye LD-250 (red)
    Thomson Elite Stem 15 degree X 110mm X 25.4mm
    Thomson Elite Seatpost 27.2mm X 250mm ( no cutting, perfect)
    Thomson HeadSet Top Cap
    Easton EA70 685mm Mid Rise Handlebars 25.4mm
    Vuelta ATB XRP Pro Disc wheelset
    I also bought a Camelbak Mule in graphite and black (perfect for MTB)

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Very nice. I have successfully adjusted the derailleurs...I should say almost. I can't get the front onto the biggest sprocket yet. I'll crack it though.

Did you weigh the items you took off and compare them to the new components? Is it a marginal difference or pretty substantial. I know that I'll be changing the pedals soon to something more flat and all aluminum. Maybe some Easton bars and some maybe some carbon bar ends. I like being able to change it up, especially when I get out of the saddle for climbs.

Do you think you will go to an all-purpose tire? Do you have an opinion on any of those?

Thanks again man.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Well yes on the all purpose tire. I do like the WTB velociraptors but I want to get Kenda Klimax Lite XC tire, the cheapest I've seen them is at pricepoint http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/132...te-XC-Tire.htm . When trashing then I'll slap on the WTB speedDiscs and the raptors. As far as weight, well I know it is much lighter but I do not have anything to weigh it with here at home. I'll check to see if my neighbor has a scale

Edit: I am also looking at these tires from WTB http://www.bikeparts.com/search_resu...p?ID=BPC301698
    Last edited by AGENT_DICE; 05-10-2008 at 03:58 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Just got in from a three mile ride. Baby steps. I'm surprised at how the suspension really eats up the bumps. I even went over a residential speed bump at a pretty good clip. I still need to keep tweaking the derailleurs, but they are getting better.

I measured my seatpost (after the four inches were cut off) and it's approximately 200mm. It's just right. I would like to replace it with an Easton or carbon post, but I can't find any that short. Has anyone seen any out there? Would it be bad if I removed the rivet in the frame tube? But then again, why have extra length if you don't need it? It just adds weight, albeit a negligible amount.

Hey Dice, is the Thomson stem you got an exact replacement, measurement wise I mean?
    Last edited by SpankyCSW; 05-11-2008 at 03:39 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2008

Some pics of my new ride...

Take a look.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Kneel Before Your Master
    Nice bike! That should be fun riding for you.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Yes it is an exact replacement for that crappy skye stuff ( angled degree x length x size of handlebars ) 15 x 110 x 25.4 , the Thomson stem is just a thing of beauty and I will never ever need another stem. The anodized black goes perfect with the shinny black color of the bike. As far as the seatpost goes I guess I ride a little higher than you cause the Thomson seatpost I got is a 250mm and it is the perfect size for me ( no cutting was required and no rivet removed. I got it for 40 bucks on ebay

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Just ordered some TruVativ Hussefelt pedals (nice price) and carbon headset spacers from BikeStop. I have my eye on that Thomson stem, but they didn't have the size that I was looking for. I'll rathole a little money and replace the bar and stem at the same time.

I can tell that this will be a gradual upgrading process. I love having a project going, and maintaining and upgrading this bike will be a pleasure. Still no luck finding a seatpost shorter than 240mm. I know that it is not "recommended" MTB setup to ride as low as I do, but this is more of a commuter for me, and I want to be able to put my feet on the ground without getting out of the saddle. Do you measure the post tube only, or is it all the way to the base of the saddle?

Dice, I'd love to see some pics of your 700.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I'll post some pics at the end of this week, wheels come in on wednesday. Anyways what size of Stem are you looking for cause I have an extra one, still new, never installed but it is a 5 degree x 100mm x 25.4.
    Just for your info when looking for handlebars try to get something longer. The Skye that comes on the bike are 24" and just too dam short for me so I got the 27" Monkeybars EA70, much, much better. You want to get bar ends so plenty of room there. Also it seems you are pretty much you are stuck with having to cut down seatposts or poppin' that rivet cause I haven't seen anything shorter than 250, there probably is but you must do much research. You might want to try ridin' a little higher, I'm 5'9" and I ride perfect on the 250...

mtbr member
    May 2008
    The 100mm would be fine, but I like the 15 degree rise. I don't know, I'll take a look at one and post back at you. I was looking at the 27" bars. I also think that is the way to go, especially with bar ends.

You're right about the seat post. I may slide mine up and see if I can get used to it. Or, just keep cutting 'em off.

Looking forward to the pics.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Okay here are some pics, I just got back from work so my bike is dirty as hell, ( I needed time to armor all the tires, j/k)
    Last edited by AGENT_DICE; 05-16-2008 at 09:53 AM.

Bushwacker
    I'm 225 and replaced my spring with a 600lb. It's perfect.
    See my review on my 700DS for removing tge seat tube rivet. Took about 3 minutes with no damage to the bike. I replaced the chain with a Sram chain with a quick connect link. It's so nice now to easily reomove the chain for cleaning.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Spanky you might want to get the front brake cable out of the way from the front tire, there is a place on the arc of the fork where it can be secured with a black ty-wrap (look at my first pic)......I'll post more pics of my bike this Friday with my new wheelset. I already bought the Kenda Klimax XC tire for the Vuelta rims (just for street use, commuting to and from work, etc...) When roughing it then I'll pop on the Raptors and WTB speedDiscs...Now I just need a cassette to go with my spare wheelset. I can see still spending more cash on this bike but for now I'll take it easy, I'm done with changing out components for now. Later on I'll be replacing my pedals but for now I think I've spent too much and kinda gotta take it Easy. Thank you Stimulus Check!

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I actually did shortly after I took that pic. Thanks for the heads up though. I'm not sure that's what they intended them to be used for, but they included some stick on cable guides with the 3M double stick tape backing. I put one on the lower end of the fork as you can see in the pic, and later added one near the top of the fork.