ballbuster

Just built my Fantom29er pro

So far, okay. Weld quality is not top notch, but decent. For a buck twenty for the frame, can't complain.

Okay, I have one complaint about this frame. The seat tube bottle boss is right where the front derailleur clamp has to go. I had to install the front derailleur pretty high and use a spacer on the bottle cage. THey could have made the bottle cage an inch lower so it would all fit.

Here go the pics:

weld booger!

built!

Former Bike Wrench

Wrong type of front derailleur

Quote Originally Posted by pimpbot
    Okay, I have one complaint about this frame. The seat tube bottle boss is right where the front derailleur clamp has to go. I had to install the front derailleur pretty high and use a spacer on the bottle cage. THey could have made the bottle cage an inch lower so it would all fit.
    Your using the wrong type of front derailleur. The Motobecane 29er frame is designed for a top swing (low clamp) derailleur, not a bottom swing (traditional) type shown in your photos. There is no bottle boss interference when the correct derailleur is used (see picture).

Otherwise it looks like a nice build

ballbuster

Wups!

Too bad I don't have another cheap swap meet XTR derailleur with a low clamp!

That is kind of wacky. I've never seen a standard double diamond frame that required a low clamp. Oh, well. The derailleur is higher than Shimano specs from the top of the big ring. It still shifts well, so I'm not sure how motivalted I am to fix it.

Yeah, thanks! The build came out pretty nice. The Hope Minis are kinda noisy on this frame, but not too bad. Probably can be fixed with different brake pads. THe WTB grips I used suck, so I put on Ourys last night. Since I took the pic, I extended the Reba out to 100mm. I have a Poploc kit for it to I have not installed. Other than that, I'm pretty happy with it.

I took it out for a ride yesterday, and it railed turns pretty well, and climbing was good. I found my self wandering around a bunch at low speed, but I think that is more because I'm not that used to climbing at granny gear speed. I've been SSing for the last year or so.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pimpbot
    Too bad I don't have another cheap swap meet XTR derailleur with a low clamp!

That is kind of wacky. I've never seen a standard double diamond frame that required a low clamp. Oh, well. The derailleur is higher than Shimano specs from the top of the big ring. It still shifts well, so I'm not sure how motivalted I am to fix it.

Yeah, thanks! The build came out pretty nice. The Hope Minis are kinda noisy on this frame, but not too bad. Probably can be fixed with different brake pads. THe WTB grips I used suck, so I put on Ourys last night. Since I took the pic, I extended the Reba out to 100mm. I have a Poploc kit for it to I have not installed. Other than that, I'm pretty happy with it.

I took it out for a ride yesterday, and it railed turns pretty well, and climbing was good. I found my self wandering around a bunch at low speed, but I think that is more because I'm not that used to climbing at granny gear speed. I've been SSing for the last year or so.
    Yep, no point as long as it shifts well.

A lot of 29ers use low clamp versions to improve clearance with the rear tire. But my 1999 Trek hardtail actually had the same bottle boss issue as yours.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    what is the weight of your fantom brand new from box? Did you look at the Windsor Cliff at all?
    what size did you go for? with a 32 in inseam I am looking at the 19 but wondering if I should go one down.
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Sep 2006

thanks

I saw your reply to my original moto vs windsor post.
    retrobeast