mtbr member
    Oct 2011

Just bought a Fantom Team DS

I just picked up a 2013 Fantom Team DS on sale. I was riding a really old, really tired 2000 Gary Fisher Tassajara. The bike was getting so run down that it was taking the enjoyment out of riding. I saw the price for the leftover 2013's at bikesdirect and decided to pull the trigger and get back into riding again. I am hoping to get the bike tomorrow and have it out this weekend.
    2013 Motobecane Fantom Team DS

Patapsco Peddler
    Aug 2011
    That's Awesome. I was rocking a 98 GT Pantera before I got my moto. The newer technology alone made a huge difference in my enjoyment again. Ride every chance I can now!!
    Pain heals. Chicks dig scares. Glory Lasts forever. - Shane Falco

My YouTube Video Page: https://www.youtube.com/user/skibum616/videos

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    I just got my Fantom Team DS too! So excited!

Can anyone recommend a LBS around Jersey City that doesn't loathe BD and would do an honest, professional job assembling it?

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Honestly, it's a matter of bolting the front rotor to the wheel, attaching the wheel to the fork, and bolting the brake caliper to the fork. A total of like 8 bolts which it took me all of 15 minutes in my dining room to get it assembled. The derailleurs and everything already seem to be set right so very little adjustment is required.

A couple of things to watch out for:

1. In an effort to save weight, motobecane uses a 10 speed cassette from a road bike and it has 11-28 gearing. This is not ideal if you plan on going up anything fairly steep. I noticed i was having trouble climbing hills and thought it was because I was out of shape, but then i saw the 11-28 in the specs. I AM out of shape, but the gears dont help. I already purchased a new 11-36 cassette to swap in.

2. The tires are some super lightweight, skinny, low rolling resistance, treadless things that really offer no traction in anything but dry hard-pack. I unboxed the bike, saw the tires, and bought a set of 2.25" Maxxis ardents before I even rode the thing because you could tell they will suck in all but ideal conditions.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    I'm not really concerned about not being able to assemble the bike - I've seen the instructions and it seems really simple.
    However, I can't true wheels, adjust derailleurs (perfectly), or lube every single part of the bike, nor do I know how to check if that was already done properly. That's my main concern.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I put my 11-36 cassette on this weekend and then got my 2.25" Maxxis Ardents on last night and its a whole new bike

mtbr member
    May 2014
    I just got mine yesterday Fantom Team Full suspension. Very easy to put together only three different hex wrenches 30-40 min taking my time. Wheels where straight and spokes tight everything was put together at the factory correctly. It's looks very well made as good as any big name company. The only things I thought could be changed and it's all personal preference would be..... the tires too skinny and have no tread, the gearing replace the cassette to 11-36, Change to an adjustable seat post clamp and the grips everyone has there favorites. People say the stem and handle bars are crap but they feel good to me. I'm very happy with this purchase at $1599 it can't be beat period!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Just bought a Fantom Team DS-img_2545.jpg  

Just bought a Fantom Team DS-img_2550.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2014
    I bought one as well. 2 weeks ago. I bought the large and changed out the stem for a shorter one and put on a riser bar. Feels perfect now! BUT, I warn you... I already crashed and bend the front rim. Those rims are not setup for much all mountain riding. I knew this but I do all types of riding so i took my chances. I will just upgrade rims at some point. The rim is currently being "fixed" well enough to keep riding. Also, the Elixir 9 brakes will be sold soon and I will buy XT's.

I woudl buy again in a heart beat.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Long live the 26er! Bike upgrades are done and I love this thing, I just wish I could ride it more than I have. Got a BBG bashgaurd, XT 11-36 cassette, 2.25" Maxxis Ardents, Stan's tubeless, adjustable seat clamp and new grips. Everything else is good.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Just bought a Fantom Team DS-img_2814.jpg  

Just bought a Fantom Team DS-img_2816.jpg  

Just bought a Fantom Team DS-img_2817.jpg  

Just bought a Fantom Team DS-img_2818.jpg  

Just bought a Fantom Team DS-img_2815.jpg  

Just bought a Fantom Team DS-img_2813.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Nice!! I changed the tires, seat post clamp, shorter stem and riser bars. I love it. I am now waiting for my XT hydos to come in to replace the Elixirs.