Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2008

Impulse bought Team DS

Well, Monday night, after a great ride this weekend, pulled the trigger on a TEAM DS. I have been watch CL for a while (San Diego), and haven't seen anything that has jumped out deal wise. I have been riding a Haro Werx 7 for the last year or so, if you don't know, it's a 7 inch travel freeride/dh bike. I put some holyrollers on it for better rolling resistance, but it's still a pig at 42+ or whatever it is. But I've been out there XCing it anyway.

I came across BD on here with the Motos, though I hit the jackpot. Wrenching on bikes is not an issue at all, i wrench on motorcycles, boats, cars etc. all the time... I was looking in the 1K used price range, but then I start crunching, and see that the Team would be the best way to not want to upgrade/replace parts unless they break. This of coarse leaves the frameset as a potential, if it's a complete bad fit, will have to look into it (shouldn't be though).

This will be the brand new bike I've bought since I was in elementary school, it's in the mail, should be here by Monday. Hope it fits, rides, and comes in undamaged condition. Should have thought about it some more, but I always get anxious, and have been looking on and off at as FS XC for some time, this seems like it is as good a deal as any. Don't really see many used XTR FS bikes at 2K. Mind you this bike has a questionable wheelset and crankset, along with the smaller items like chain, cables, etc.. Still seems like a steal. Can't see how the frame can be that much different than all the other similarly styled framesets out there, looks like an Ellsworth Truth knock off really, also looks similar to the KHS team, etc..

Will keep you all posted and hope to become a part of the Moto mtbr community.

BTW, how hard is it to get bearing for the frame? The derailleurs are on the site. And looks like it's a good idea to put the BB and headset off to grease, did they resolve the dry grease-wise builds of these bikes?

Thanks, sorry about the long read, figured I should get something out here. Have been trolling around here for the last few days like crazy trying to get info and justify the completely impulsive purchase of the bike. I was trying to get the bike here by this weekend really, oh well. Can wait til Monday... :-)

mtbr member
    So which bike was that? This one? http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...ntom_teamX.htm

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Yes sir, having some last minute jitters about the bike, but all things considered, should be great. The fact everything is new, it s huge plus compared to buying some superlight or something with a bunch of miles/hours on it... All new, no wear yet, no leaky suspension (hopefully)... etc... Can't wait..

mtbr member
    Yeah, that's a nice ride! I definitely want to hear about it, because I'm thinking about getting a FS 26" to compliment my Cliff 29er. That one looked like a pretty good upgrade, and should handle all the big drops I avoid with the hardtail. If nothing else, the components on that frame are tits.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Will keep you all posted for sure, a seasoned rider buddy at work is going to help get the suspension dialed in and such... It was just hard to put down the 2K for a sight unseen bike.. Will get some pics and such taken once it arrives.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    BTW, simple wikipedia search shows who (Kinesis) manufactures these frames, apparently they may frames for Trek, GT, Jamis, K2, etc... Pretty interesting

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motob%C3%A9cane

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kinesis_Industry_Co._Ltd.

These frames should be exactly the same in terms of quality.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Getting excited now, checked UPS and the bike is ahead of schedule. It was rescheduled to Monday from Today, back to today, "out for delivery". Hopefully someone will be home to sign for it... Excited am I...

S*it Happens!
    Being impulsive is good!
    -_0
    _ `\<,_
    (+)/ (+)
    Like life…the trail is unpredictable...

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Yeah, i guess, way to get things moving...

Looks like it just arrived at the house (early ups arrival), can't wait to go home and get er' up and running after work.... hopefully going for a test ride in the morning if i can get it ready in time (beerfest at the Padres game tonight ...

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I have a buddy that has this bike and he loves it. He let me ride it around a bit and it felt fine for the 5 minutes I got to ride it. Personally I would swap out the handlebar, seat, and tires but those are personal preference items anyway. Congrats on the purchase.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Well, got the bike on Friday. All is good so far, did go on a ride on Saturday, but not with the new bike. Didn't come with pedals and didn't really have time to get it ready in time so took the other bike instead.

Thought the forks compression valve was completely dead, turns out to have been a completely out of wack adjustment on the remote control. Would not lock out initially. Will try to get the sag set today with a buddy at work.

Only issue was the lack of pedals, I went with some crank bros mallets. We'll see if they send some out to me, waiting for a response from them about the pedals...

So far so good, looking forward to the first ride. Already go a computer too (strada)...

I'll post some better pictures soon...

http://i984.photobucket.com/albums/a...2/IMG_0883.jpg

http://i984.photobucket.com/albums/a...2/IMG_0867.jpg

Pimpmobile
    Mar 2010
    That bike is listed as not shipping with pedals.

Nice one though!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Oops, thanks for catching that, guess i was looking at the Pro when i saw the pedals.

This bike is real nice, should last quite a while. The carbon derailleur looks fragile though. Sizing seems great, does have a high stand over height.

mtbr member
    Looks like a nice ride! Any idea about the weight of it?

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Thanks for the compliments.

Not sure, will weight it tonight. Feels pretty light for sure, the pedals i got are a bit heavy, and the seat in terrible comfort wise (i need to get some real bike shorts i guess).

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Hey, if you like it, maybe I get one and they'll be a couple of MB's running around SD.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    For sure, SD is a good place to ride for sure, I'm just now really getting serious with riding. Just weighed the bike with a digital health scale (probably not the most accurate, but does go to the 10th of a pd), it is showing 26.6 pds with some crank bros mallets 1s (510g for the pair), some lights, and a cateye strada. This is a medium frame looks like it should be right around 25 pds without pedals, very respectable.

Went for a quick 6 mile street loop tonight, and so far so good. Will put it through some motions this weekend with some real riding.

Got the overall sag setup, about 25-30 in front, 25 in the back, need to play with the compression and rebound a bit, but had a pro buddy do the quick bounce and set ritual. Also want to see what the 5 inch on the rear will feel like, but seeing there 120mm (4.72in) up front, 4 inch in the rear with better leverage for the shock with my 190 pd frame may be a better fit. Will bring an allen wrench and a pump on the next ride to experiment for sure.

After we get some miles clocked in, should get a better feel, I'll document the first real ride and keep you all posted. Looking at tires soon, but will see what these can do. Heck, this my first set up with clipless, coming pretty natural, aside from the one time I forgot I had them on, kinda fell over. Very cool, already want to put some on my beater road bike. I am a noob for sure, but used to do a lot of dirt jumping in the past (20 in) and ride sport/dirt bikes religiously.

Anyways, not real complaints yet, just do think it's strange the sub-section of the frame has a place for v-brakes, which don't appear to come with even the lowest DS fantom model. Maybe these frames were bought in a huge bulk deal for cheap, or it just costs that much to change the forms, blueprints for the builds at the factory. This thing flies compared to my Haro Werx7, can't wait to get on some dirt, did go like 1/2 mile through a neighboring canyon so far... Go Team Moto...

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Well, did a 5 miles loop going through a nearby trail (Florida Canyon) finally. Bike performed great, one gripe is the sizing. I read that the frames were a bit on the big side, but seems that I have to put the seat up to the limit to get good pedal reach. Thinking a large would have fit better (I'm 5'11 190pds). Saw some riser carbon bars at Performance today, they should help with some of the fitment issue.

The pedaling seemed a bit rough for some reason today, I think it may be due to me being tired/weak maybe. Guess I'm used to the werx7 with the hollyrollers, they seem to roll better, although they do slide a bit. These klimax lites do okay, think it may be the geometry of the bike maybe?

I just starting going clipless, which definitely make the pedaling more efficient, which could have tired me also, I like to keep the momentum up for sure.

All and all great impression so far, definitely soaks up the bumps, easy to hop over stuff, and the bars are definitely way too skinny. Will pick up the bars tomorrow along with some grips and give that a go, will feel much better I'm sure. Can always get bigger seat post, but it does feel good right at the max.

Will let you know how the next ride goes, this was just a tester, and will do some real riding possibly tomorrow morning, by next weekend for sure. Very still and solid ride with plush suspension, will try to get it dialed in better, all in time. Can say that this first clipless ride has got my calves sore for sure, new muscle usage with the up strokes. Love the clipless, hope to get many a mile with the bike. Worst come to worse, I'll find a killer frame to build up if need be. Will keep you posted...

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Finally got out on a real ride today, simply amazing. I was the leader of the pack most of the ride being used to riding the much heavier haro, this thing is dream. Lighter than all the other bike in our group, and cheaper than many. Very happy with the puchase now, did have to tighten some things up and such, expected. This thing flies over eveything, even getting some air, soaks it all up. Very impressed a++++. Sizing is okay, I'm in the middle of med large, but with the longer bars, neck up all the way, perfect fit. Stand over height is ideal, just maybe a hair short wheel base wise... Got moto!!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Forgot to add, the front tire does have to go, a bit slippery, everything else A+++ Did a good 13 mile loop, what a blast, wanted to keep going another 13...

mtbr member
    My impulse is actually telling me to press on the purchase button for this bike. So how has the bike been holding up? Also is there a shock pump included with the bike, or will I have to get one? This will be my first full suspension bike without any coils in the shocks. And I just want to have everything needed to set it up and start riding.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    The bike doesn't come with a shock pump, but they are real cheap. The topeak mini or whatever it's called works great and is cheap (30 or something bucks at performance). The bike is holding up great so far, the only thing I've changed so far were the bars, the stock ones are a bit short, and the bike is a tad small, so i wanted riser bars too. But the bike is came completely ready to go.

All you have to do is basically put the bars on, pop the rear brake line in the frame. Put the front brake rotor, put the front wheel on, then put the front brake caliper on. The trick with the caliper is to put it on loosely, then pump and hold the brake lever as you tighten the bolts to center it. You will need a small torx for the front rotor, can get them at autozone etc..

I suggest making sure you are the getting the right size, I am very happy so far, great bike. It should keep me content for years to come. Still haven't seen anything used on craigslist or pinkbike that seems like it would have been a better deal. The component set is great, and the frame is fine. The standover height is up there, but not an issue for me. The standover is perfect, I like the have the seat really high, thus it barely fits with the stock post, but is still below the limit now, initially thought i wanted it higher.

Keep us posted if you do decide to get one. BTW, customer service does respond via email in a timely manner and they are very polite. In my initial thoughts that I was missing pedals, the frame was too small, etc. They were more than considerate. Explained to me how to return the whole bike should I want to go up a size, but I felt after looking at standover height etc, that the medium is probably the best fit.

Bike rips, can't wait to get out this weekend on a real ride again.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    wow! the bike sounds great! can't wait for mine to come. the problem is, there are no info on delivery. been waiting for it badly!

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    You should get a confirmation email the next day. I too was very excited about getting the bike. I ordered it on Monday night hoping it would show by Friday, and it did, one business day ahead of schedule. I got scared initially with the archic website redirection to paypal at first, and no confirmation email from them directly. But did get a tracking number next day. I wonder if they'll let me help update the website, I do some web design at work (jk). I'll look at getting a new road bike from them eventually, it sure is nice to get a brand new bike, and not used of CL or whatever.. Hope you enjoy it once it comes.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    got the confirmation email but no tracking number. it's almost 10 days.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast