mtbr member

I'm trying to decide between the Fantom 29PRO and the Fantom Comp. Help!

I'm trying to decide between the Fantom 29PRO and the Fantom Comp. I'm sure I'd be extremely happy with either one as they are both a huge upgrade from my GT Avalanche 3.0 but I'm having a hard time deciding between the two. Can you please give me some advice on what the real benefits are to 29 inch wheels over 26. I've never ridden a 29er before but I love the way they look and it's a given that they can handle rough terrain better but what else should I consider when deciding between these two bikes?

FYI, I ride on the street as much as I ride on dirt/trails.

I'm sure that most of you are familiar with both bikes but here are pics and specs of both anyway...

Motobecane 2009 Fantom Comp Mountain Bike

Motobecane has done the unbelievable - they have put a super-light and strong, raceable disc hardtail within reach of nearly anyone!

COMPETITION READY
    The 27 Speed 2009 Fantom Comp is specified with competition-ready components and even tougher frame but nearly as light as the one on the FLY Team '03 XC Race Bike of the Year. Please compare this bike directly against any other manufacturers $1,500+ hardtail on the market. Their bikes are heavier or not as capable.

Extremely capable
    with long travel RockShox TORA WITH LOCKOUT and UTURN ADJUSTABLE TRAVEL 85-130mm fork.
    NOTE:Add 1.5" to Standover for Long Travel Fork
    Ritchey Bar, Stem AND Post. The 2009 Fantom Comp adds to those race winning specs; an FSA crank and sealed BB, Ritchey Sealed bearing headset, sweet shifting Shimano XT rear derailleur with WTB SpeedDisc Wheelset and truly amazing Avid Hydraulic Juicy 3 Hydraulic Disc Brake system.

Avid Hydraulic Juicy 3 Disc Brakes have been rated by magazine reviews as one of the best - Way better than any other mechanical system and better than all but the most expensive hydraulic systems.

SWEET HANDLING
    Motobecane USA has really dialed in a race-proven geometry into this phenomenal ride. The handling is very responsive and yet stable. Singletrack and switchbacks are all handled with ease. Slow speed and high speed, technical and flat-out hammering, you will go faster because this bike is so darn light and capable.
    This bike is truly versatile. Put slicks on this baby and give those roadies a good scare as this is only a couple pounds more than many road bikes out there. Box Stock- you've got a superlight trail bike that can handle just about anything and anywhere. (No Hucking Please)

More details: http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...tom_comp08.htm

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Motobecane Fantom 29PRO Mountain Bike

Join the 29er Revolution
    If you have ridden one you know why you want one. If you have ever wanted to try one, this is the best deal on an XT equipped 29er bike with Hydraulic Disc Brakes and REMOTE Lockout front fork.

COMPETITION READY
    The 27 Speed 2009 Fantom 29PRO is specified with competition-ready components and has geometry based on the FLY Team '03 XC Race Bike of the Year. Please compare this bike directly against any other manufacturers $1,500+ 29er hardtail on the market. Their bikes are heavier or not as well equipped.

Extremely capable
    with long travel RockShox TORA RS318 (SoloAir) WITH REMOTE LOCKOUT AND up to 100mm travel*. The Fantom 29PRO adds to those race winning specs; a TruVativ FireX crank and External GXP BB, CaneCreek Sealed bearing headset, sweet shifting Shimano XT rear derailleur with WTB Disc Wheelset and truly amazing Avid Hydraulic Disc Brake system.

Avid Hydraulic Disc Brakes have been rated by magazine reviews as one of the best - Way better than any mechanical system and better than all but the most expensive hydraulic systems.

LIGHT WEIGHT
    This bike is lighter than most any other bike in its price range AND has much higher level parts.

SWEET HANDLING
    Motobecane USA has really dialed in a race-proven geometry into this phenomenal ride. The handling is very responsive and yet stable. Singletrack and switchbacks are all handled with ease. Slow speed and high speed, technical and flat-out hammering, you will go faster because this bike is so darn light and capable.

More details: http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...om29pro_08.htm

Thanks..

mtbr member
    Apr 2009

I was deciding between the two as well and I'm going with the 29. I have friends with 29's that say they would never go back. Now I'm just trying to decide between the 19 or 21 inch. Difficult since you can't sit on it before buying.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cementum
    I was deciding between the two as well and I'm going with the 29. I have friends with 29's that say they would never go back. Now I'm just trying to decide between the 19 or 21 inch. Difficult since you can't sit on it before buying.
    That is the one downfall to buying a bike online. I wish I could test ride the two to make my decision.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    i was in the same boat as you but different price bracket the fantom trail and the fantom29
    i went with the trail(26) because i too ride 50/50 road/dirt and i looked into the tire selection for road 26 and 29 and at the time i found one road tire in 29 it may differ now. It not matterto you but I hope this can help or I just wasted your time

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by boostedmr2
    i was in the same boat as you but different price bracket the fantom trail and the fantom29
    i went with the trail(26) because i too ride 50/50 road/dirt and i looked into the tire selection for road 26 and 29 and at the time i found one road tire in 29 it may differ now. It not matterto you but I hope this can help or I just wasted your time
    That is a good point and something that I have looked into as well. I haven't seen any street-ish tires for 29ers at all. For that reason alone I'm leaning towards the 26 inch. If I could find some decent street tires I would probably go for the 29er.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    You should still have plenty of options on the 29er:

http://www.bikeforums.net/archive/in.../t-350814.html

Bob