Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    DynoDon

I won't be removing Motobecane decals from my bikes!!

I know the Motobecane I had for 35+ years isn't the new Motobecane, but I'm glad the name is still around, I tried to figure out why people, and dealers don't like Motobecanes, and some dealers have been downright rude, sure the dealers like to reap the rewards from the internet, but they seem to feel a threat from customers reaping a great deal from the internet. I have found some dealers that seem to be ok with the Motobecanes, at least to my face, those are the ones that get my business.
    My Motobecane suits my needs perfectly, I'm very proud of my Motobecane, infact I have another one delivering here tomorrow, a Fantom Team, Motobecane will stay on my downtubes!!!
    Motobecane was once one of the most respected names in bicycles, top of the line, hand pinstripped, pieces of art, if someone has a problem with Motobecanes of today it's their problem.
    Last edited by manabiker; 08-03-2010 at 06:26 PM.

mtbr member
    Cool you have an original.

So far the only place I see Moto haters is here, but I don't pay attention when I'm riding. My lbs doesn't care either; don't know if that was lucky or not.
    Mike
    2011 Moto Fly Pro

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    I've had mine about 2 weeks, (Fly Ti 29er) and I've had 5-6 people come up and talk to me in that time because of this bike. Kind of crazy. Most people want to really look at it and see what's wrong with, because you know, too good to be true or whatever. Fact is, there's nothing wrong with it -- at all! It's a bad@$$ bike for 2k bucks.

That being said, I still took the top tube and downtube stickers off of mine - and it looks totally pimp. Titanium just looks beautiful. Seriously, it's beautiful, like Salma Hayek or something. Would you stick a big logo across her face?

Yeah, me neither, but I did stick water bottle cages on it, so I'm not sure if the analogy holds up...

mtbr member
    In retrospect, buying a bike online (could have been anyone) was the best thing I could have done. And not just for the great value, but for the extra kick in the a$$ I needed to start doing my own work on bikes. Now that I know how easy it is to adjust derailers and do minor maintenance, it seems criminal that some shops will charge $50 for a tune up. I'm a complete novice and can clean, lube, adjust and safety check my bike in under an hour. The added benefit of being able to do all of this at home is just one more benefit. No waiting for an appointment, no driving to and from the shop to drop off/pick up the bike. No wondering if their "tech" is knowledgeable, concerned for my safety, or having a bad day.

I know some people have the cash and prefer to pay a bit extra to have a professional do those things, so I don't feel bad about not giving the LBS my business. There will always be those who would rather purchase than learn, or have service done rather than do themselves. Thankfully I am not one of those people anymore.
    "Got everything you need?"

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I really don't care what people say about my Motobecane. If i'm slower than them, it's not the bikes fault lol. If i'm faster than them, then I could care less what they say anyways. I mean sure, it doesn't have the name recognition that Gary Fisher and other brands have, but it's a great bike, especially when you consider that it's less than half the price of any other brand. It's especially great for me since I don't race, but still want a very nice bike that will allow me improve and won't hold me back (and hopefully will last for the next 10 years).

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott the Great View Post
    I've had mine about 2 weeks, (Fly Ti 29er) and I've had 5-6 people come up and talk to me in that time because of this bike. Kind of crazy. Most people want to really look at it and see what's wrong with, because you know, too good to be true or whatever. Fact is, there's nothing wrong with it -- at all! It's a bad@$$ bike for 2k bucks.

That being said, I still took the top tube and downtube stickers off of mine - and it looks totally pimp. Titanium just looks beautiful. Seriously, it's beautiful, like Salma Hayek or something. Would you stick a big logo across her face?

Yeah, me neither, but I did stick water bottle cages on it, so I'm not sure if the analogy holds up...

Yes, there's an analogy. Think of the bottle cages as a bra and the water bottles........well, you get my drift. Enjoy your Selma!

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    WOW! Props to you, you dug deep for this gem. I just ordered my first Moto: Fly team 29er Ti, I think i'll like it, and if it pisses off bike snobs with their Ipods/pads/phones/etc., winter hats in summer, etc., well, more the better. ;-) Sorry apple users, just threw that in for color, I'd take a free/cheap Ipad in a hot minute!
    -B, out!

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Yeah, I really don't get the whole thing with peeling the stickers off. If you like your bike who cares if others knock it for being the wrong brand. I participate on another board with guys who do some serious mountain biking on Walmart Deceptions and Genisis 29ers. Now, sometimes I think some of them are really bad at math, they actually have more invested in their "$200 Deceptions" than the cost of a decent Diamondback Overdrive or Gravity 29Point1 by the time they hit the trail, and still MUCH lesser components, but they claim to be really proud of their Walgooses. And yet, almost everyone of them peels the stickers off. Hmmmmm, kinda makes me wonder.

And yes, my Diamondback proudly wears its stickers and so will my son's Windsor when it arrives. No, they are not Trek/Giant/ Specialized and we are proud to be different.
    Quote Originally Posted by STT GUY View Post
    Screw the search function... you're new, ask the question(s). If anyone gets thier undies in a bunch it's thier problem.

Bushwacker
    I think most who de-badge their bike do it because they liike the way it looks. If somebody does it because they are embarassed about the brand they are fooling themselves. You'll just look silly trying to hide it when they ask who makes it. People de-badge their cars all the time because they think it looks better, pretty common.
    When I'm not windsurfing, I'm mountain biking

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Starkonian View Post
    I think most who de-badge their bike do it because they liike the way it looks. If somebody does it because they are embarassed about the brand they are fooling themselves. You'll just look silly trying to hide it when they ask who makes it. People de-badge their cars all the time because they think it looks better, pretty common.
    And if that's the true reason then so be it. Obviously everyone has the right to make their bike look however they want. Just makes me wonder sometimes though. And yes, some of the graphics on bikes are truly awful, so I can't blame everyone who does that.Mystic
    Screw the search function... you're new, ask the question(s). If anyone gets thier undies in a bunch it's thier problem.

newfydog
    May 2009
    Our best local bike shop is the local store of WebCycles in Bend, Oregon. These guys don't sneer at online bikes, they sell them. Smart guys who recognize reality and make the best of it.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Of course now the Cliff 4900 arrives and I am considering taking off at least part of the stickers. The part that says Windsor is fine and will probably stay, but the part that is supposed to say Cliff is the weirdest lettering I have seen. It is a real stretch to find Cliff in it, my son thinks it says Cli6f or something like that. Of course that's assuming we keep the bike. It arrived with a badly bent rear derailleur. And unlike Bikesdirect which fro, what I have heard will usually ship out a replacement part, the Ebay seller I bought from says they usually arrange for pick up of the damaged bike and send you another. But they have none of this bike left, so we will see what happens.

Bushwacker
    Yah, I think that's what started me on the road to de-badging. The Moto sticker looked ok but the other stickers were lame. My rear triangle was a different color which I didn't like at all so I ended up just removing everything and painting the whole frame.

Maybe you can pressure the ebay'r into exchanging the derailleur since it's the last bike they have. Seems it would be worth it for them to avoid negative feedback. You might want to make sure the hanger and frame aren't damaged tho.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Based on the Ebayers feed back score, I am pretty confident a satisfactory solution will be found. They can send me a replacement part, credit my paypal account the price of the part (around $90 for a Deore XT rear derailleur) or something else. The only issue I really have is the bike is unridable while I wait to find out what they will do. But I guess this is part of the risk of buying a mail order bike. Will post how it goes, whatever solution is reached.

Bushwacker
    Another thought, you can pick up an Alivio class long cage for around $25 for the interim till it gets sorted out. Never hurts to have a spare in the water pack in case you need one on the trail. Last weekend I crashed and jammed my derailleur into the spokes. Thought I was going to have to walk 3 miles back to the trail head but got lucky and was able to get it working again.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I am thinking I want to remove the decals when my Fantom Ti gets here. The look of bare titanium is just too awesome to cover up with ugly decals. My only concern is that the warranty but is voided if you remove the decals...

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jstaples View Post
    My only concern is that the warranty but is voided if you remove the decals...

Voiding a warranty because of sticker removal won't stand up legally.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I am thinking I want to remove the decals when my Fantom Ti gets here. The look of bare titanium is just too awesome to cover up with ugly decals. My only concern is that the warranty but is voided if you remove the decals...
    I'm removing the decals from the frame, rims, etc on mine when it arrives. I love the look of a bare titanium frame.

newfydog
    May 2009
    . My only concern is that the warranty but is voided if you remove the decals...
    I removed my top tube decals when they got scratched up. The frame broke. They replaced it no problem.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Fortunately a closer inspection of the Cliff showed that it was the derailleur hanger that was bent, not the derailleur itself. I was able to bend it back to working order as a temporary fix and a replacement is already on the way from the seller so I am happy with that. Very nice bike and great service from Liz Johnston, aka Chicabike on Ebay.

Unfortunately removing the stupid looking stickers on the Cliff doesn't look possible since they are very well applied and I believe have clear coat over them. No loose corners to peel from, and would apparently mess up the paint anyway, so we will have to live with it, even though it does appear to say Windsor Cli6f 4900.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by newfydog View Post
    I removed my top tube decals when they got scratched up. The frame broke. They replaced it no problem.
    Thanks! That is encouraging to hear they are good at honoring their warranty. Not so encouraging to hear about a frame breaking.

newfydog
    May 2009
    Thanks! That is encouraging to hear they are good at honoring their warranty. Not so encouraging to hear about a frame breaking.
    The frame I broke was a prototype or first run with a design flaw. The new frames featured a different weld which fixed the problem. It was a litmus test for me---when they replaced my frame with a better one I went ahead and bought a Ti cyclocross bike too.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott the Great View Post

Did the same to mine, but kept the front and downtube badges. I'm proud to be a Moto owner and glad to own such a high end bike at such a reasonable price!

Over my short time of ownership I grew to not be a fan of a bunch of decals all over my Ti frame. Ti is probably the best looking frame material a bike can be made from. It needs no paint or gloss and ,IMO, needs little in the way of decals. I was looking to achieve that aestetic when I took the decals off mine recently. But as a Motobecane owner, I also wanted to continue to represent the brand and not be seen as running away from it. So I kept the badges on the bike, stripping them down to their chrome metal to better compliment the Ti.

I think the look is strikingly gorgeous overall! It looks like a limited edition version! The chrome badges are seriously shinier than the muted glow of the Ti. The badges beg to be inspected closer! When folks see the bike they're impressed, so they move in as close as possible to try to get a look at the badges on the sly! It's pretty funny actually when I see people doing it. I think my low profile Fly Ti get those haters out there past their initial, knee-jerk rejection of the Moto name without even looking at the quality offerings of the bike. With my bike, the quality is the 1st thing they notice. They then have to get up close find out, it's Motobecane baby!!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails I won't be removing Motobecane decals from my bikes!!-20120117_094456.jpg  

I won't be removing Motobecane decals from my bikes!!-20120117_094414.jpg  

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    its good that you have the original motobecane decals on your bike power to you all (y)!

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    You just can't get a better deal thatn Motobecane. If dealers are threatened, that's why.

Quote Originally Posted by manabiker View Post
    I know the Motobecane I had for 35+ years isn't the new Motobecane, but I'm glad the name is still around, I tried to figure out why people, and dealers don't like Motobecanes, and some dealers have been downright rude, sure the dealers like to reap the rewards from the internet, but they seem to feel a threat from customers reaping a great deal from the internet. I have found some dealers that seem to be ok with the Motobecanes, at least to my face, those are the ones that get my business.
    My Motobecane suits my needs perfectly, I'm very proud of my Motobecane, infact I have another one delivering here tomorrow, a Fantom Team, Motobecane will stay on my downtubes!!!
    Motobecane was once one of the most respected names in bicycles, top of the line, hand pinstripped, pieces of art, if someone has a problem with Motobecanes of today it's their problem.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast