mtbr member
    Jun 2007

I ordered the Fantom Elite! One question.

Hey guys,

So, I finally saved up the dough and ordered my bike. I bought the Fantom Elite. Ive never been so excited for a package to come. One of the questions i have is about the pedals that come with. Gravity Dual - Stage clippless/platforms. Ive never ridden clip-less pedals, so i dont know what to expect. Are these Gravity pedals any good? I cant seem to find any info on the web at all. Which is kinda weird. I do know that i want something that i can ride clipped in, but also use as platform when i hip up some more technical trails. Any help is Appreciated. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    The pedals are garbage. Period.

I'm using them as platform pedals until I can afford some new shoes, as my current clipless shoes are very uncomfortable. Probably worse pedals than the plastic platform ones I used when I was a child.

You can't find any info because they're BikesDirect house brand, and because they're garbage.

Cartographer
    I used my trusty Wellgo platformers and ditched the clipless house brand.
    2008 Motobecane-USA Fantom Pro
    Cleveland Area Mountain Biker

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Thanks for the heads up man, I took your advice on them sucking and bought a pair of these:

The bike should be here Friday and the pedals come same day. So Excited!!

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I said one question, but I lied. I have a couple more. Okay, so I get the bike tomorrow, and I'm wondering is, of all the components on this bike, aside from pedals, is there anything you would replace right out of the gate. I have ordered new pedals already, buy I have heard some complaints about the chain. What else do you guys think. Here is a list to the components:
    http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...om_elite08.htm

Oh i guess I should add what I do with the bike. Im bike into cross country riding, I want to be able to go as fast as possible and I hate when **** breaks. I also really want to have a light bike, so if you could let me know what stuff is stupid heavy. Word!

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    You probably will lose a pound just with the pedals. Can lose another half pound with different bars, My Elite DS had the same bars and they weighed 440g. Wheel World has carbon Easton bars in 2 differet rises for $50 on closeout right now. I bought 1 of each and weighed 135 and 180g. I prefer the high rise but the low rise would work on there I think. Would look into light weight tires and tubes when you need them. Then wheels that are lighter. The rear cassette is heavy also. That seat fells good for about 100 feet then to soft and it is heavy.

Other than the pedals and bars I think I would just ride it till you need the other stuff. I love my Elite DS and have lost about 4 pounds with tires, tubes, bars, rear cassette and seat. Will get lighter wheels when I can.