Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: I got $700....

NuB
    mtbr member
    May 2012

I got $700....

I am brand new to mountain biking. I will be riding through little technical trails, nothing crazy. Riding with my gf most of the time (she has a trek skye).

about me: Im 29 5'11 165lbs, I race motorcycles, well built and athletic (don't know if any of this helps.

I was about to purchase the 700HT after reading that it is a good bike for a beginner. My question is, would a couple extra hundred bucks be worth it to get a 29er ??

If so, that would lead me to the Fantom 29 X5 29er or the Fantom29 COMP. I really LOVE the x9......

Before all of this debate I figured i would buy the 700HT and use the rest of my saved money for a the motorcycle I want.

Any help would be appreciated.

Ti Fighter
    You can't go wrong with the 29'rs. I've had a single speed now for 3 years and the bigger wheels roll so much faster then the 26.

We just got the Fantom 29 Comp for my wife and it is a very good deal for the money. She loves it!
    09'Felt Nine Solo
    12' Motobecane FLY Team 29 Titanium

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Eruption View Post
    You can't go wrong with the 29'rs. I've had a single speed now for 3 years and the bigger wheels roll so much faster then the 26.

We just got the Fantom 29 Comp for my wife and it is a very good deal for the money. She loves it!
    It's good to hear the positive feedback on the Fantom 29 Comp.

It seemed like the perfect compromise for me, recognizing that I will *eventually* upgrade the fork, but right now I need to get back to riding and the price was right. I ordered it yesterday and I'll post my build experience and first impressions when it gets here!

mtbr member
    Gravity point 5 here...love it. Off 26, love the 29. Spend the extra dough!

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Just got my 1st mountain bike ever today... in the mail from BD. I got the 500$ 29er.

I have been doing net research for months. And I could have very well gone into a few mos worth... but they just restocked this bike and I said screw the research, it was just making the decision harder. Bc at that time I was looking at 2k$ bikes.

Just put it together, and adjusted the brakes- which took about as long as unpacking it. I got one bc my Gf rides already- and used to also ride a Trek, till I got her a Moto 500HT- which she loves.

The 19 is a large 19 with the Moto 29er, so make sure you test ride enough bikes and then note their top tube length from the website.

We only do light trails, but before I bought we did 3 straight days of trails- and I did it on an aluminum rigid 26. Just took the new for a spin... it def doesnt feel as agile, but it WAS only my 1st ride...

the 700HT looks great- either way you will enjoy your new bike.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Erup- how tall is your wife? what size did you get her?

Ti Fighter
    Quote Originally Posted by isis07734 View Post
    Erup- how tall is your wife? what size did you get her?
    She is 5' 8" and we got her a 15". It fits her perfect!
    09'Felt Nine Solo

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Good to know- do u think 5'8 is the cutoff for the 15?
    Mine is 5'9...

My 19 felt big at 1st- but after the 1st ride it felt good (6ft).

Ti Fighter
    Quote Originally Posted by isis07734 View Post
    Good to know- do u think 5'8 is the cutoff for the 15?
    Mine is 5'9...

My 19 felt big at 1st- but after the 1st ride it felt good (6ft).
    A 15" should be good for her. I can ride my wife's bike and I'm 6'. It is small for me but not to the point of feeling like I'm riding a BMX bike. The 17 would prob be to big for her.
    09'Felt Nine Solo

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Appreciate it man

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Hello all - figured this goes along with OP's question regarding $700. (I'm closer to $600)

New to mountain biking here, and want to get started. I am mostly interested in what they call the "technical" trails with all the cool obsticals/planks/bridges.

Being new, and not wanting to get crazy here money wise, I am hoping some of you could lead me in the right direction here.

Given my budget of roughly $600 max - which would be the better bike for me. The 700HT or the Fantom29 Trail.

Everything I read points to the 29er's being the way to go these days, but I wasnt sure if the the Fantom 29er Trail was too cheap of a bike quality wise compared to the 700HT which is a bit more expensive, but only 26 inches.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    The shiftere make a difference but x5 works fine. Just a little heavier. The thing that really makes a difference is between a $100 dart fork vs a $400 reba fork. Also , nicer wheel set is important. $800 gravity with reba is best deal on bikes direct imho. It is 26 tho.

sent from one of my 4 gold leafed iphone 4s's

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Just to add. I had $500 to spend. Bought the 600HT (5'11 220lbs!) and its been great! Dart2 has worked well. Although I did have to take an escape route off a trail one day and jumped about a 3-4' drop at a pretty good click, right side of the fork blew out on the landing. RockShox replaced it for free .

NuB
    mtbr member
    May 2012
    :Thats good to hear. I debating not betwen the trail ht ($599.00 - only $50.00 more) or the comp ht which is $799. Wondering if the $200.00 is worth it.......:idea

NuB
    mtbr member
    May 2012
    I decided that me being new, I should stay with a 700ht and when I get good I will save some dough for a 29er Ti. Until then..........

I BOUGHT A 700HT !!!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Good job! All is good with the 700ht!..

I had the same buying decisions to make so I too ended up with the 700ht.
    Just got it today and putting it together now! No regrets

NuB
    mtbr member
    May 2012
    Congratulations !!! LMFAO, I on the other hand, cancelled my order. I figure that if Im spending good money on a bike, I should like the bikes color the least ! So I just bought the Gravity 29er point 4 in WHITE !

Didn't want to spend that type of money but if im going to keep it for a while i figure that it will be worth it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    lol awesome man, congrats! You wont regret it. I've never regretted a dime I've put into this sport.The second I have a few thousand to throw at a nice full suspension, I'm going for it.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Congrats. Let us know how the 29.4 works out. I'm thinking about buying the 29.3.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I'm in the same boat and looking for a new 29er. I'm deciding on the 2013 Fantom29 Trail, Fantom29 Comp, or Diamondback Overdrive Comp...the only component I don't know about on the Trail is the fork (Suntour XCT V3). Any thoughts on the bikes or fork?

NuB
    mtbr member
    May 2012
    Spend the $ 200 more amass get the 29.4 gravity MUCH better forks, you won't regret it

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    29.4 gravity? I don't see that bike on BD site.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by BArider38 View Post
    29.4 gravity? I don't see that bike on BD site.
    Save up to 60% off new Mountain Bikes - MTB - Gravity 29Point4 29er Mountain Bikes

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I'm in the same boat as the original poster. I was budgeting around $500. I like the 650DS is there a reason not to get it? I'll be at $700 after tax.

I forgot to add I'm a complete noob. 6'1" 275 lbs. Looking to get into this for exercise and it was a blast when I went. I was riding a specialized 29" rock hopper. I just had problems with cornering. Also most of the riding that I'll be doing is a lot of technical/xcrountry. (Lots of switch backs and ducking under trees. Not a lot of downhill.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Double post

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast