Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jun 2011

Wink I discovered who manufactures all Motobecane Titanium Frames

This is probably no secret. In fact, it's something that all owners of Motobecane Ti frames know already, however unwittingly. The company that manufactures every last Motobecane Titanium Road and Mountain frame is called ORA Engineering Co. and is located in Taiwan.

Here's their website: ORA ENGINNERING CO,. LTD

I know, I know! The whole, who makes Moto frames debate and quality arguments have been ongoing for years! On MTBR.com, I've participated in more than a few myself. Here's the story behind my latest missive:

Today while pondering whether I should "go naked" & remove all decals from my 2011 Fly Team Ti 29er, I happened to take the time to carefully read the green/yellow/red & silver badged emblem on the seatpost tube for the 1st time. I already knew the silver "DB" stood for double butted, and that's a great thing for a titanium frame. I also knew that "Aerospace Grade", "3AI 2.5V" and "handcrafted" all spoke to positive qualities that a Titanium frame should have. The thing I didn't know, and only found out from a google search, is that the red music like symbol and white "ORA" are both trademarks of the titanium manufacturer ORA Engineering Company of Taiwan!

After googling ORA and Titanium, I found their website and was surprised to find all of their bikes have this trademark badge attached. The website implies that they're pretty big in Asia & supply frames and parts for many well known, "name branded", road and mountain bike companies throughout Asia, Europe, the U.S. markets. Have a look around their site. You'll find examples of their products including frames/ stems / bars /seatposts/ etc. There's photos from 2010 and 2011 bike expos, presumably held somewhere in Asia. Go to "Home" then, "Company", then "Event Photos" in the upper right side of the screen. They make some pretty nice stuff! I personally would love to get my hands on one of those Titanium seatposts in the 2010 event pics. Looking at the same batch of photos, I think the Moto Fly Ti frame is very much like the images "10 of 29" and "14 of 29". Even if you pro types can scope out some small difference that make the Moto Ti frame unique, there's no doubt, even w/o the obviousness of the trademark badge, that the entire Moto Ti lot is manufactured by this company.

I'm glad I found this site. It even show photos of their manufacturing and quality control processes during assembly. I've never seen anything like this on ,say..... Cannondale.com. Check it all out! I was even more satified with my Moto Fly Team Ti 29er purchase after looking at this site.

Btw - They have a customized, engraved, Titanium full suspension frame at the beginning of those 2010 event pics. That frame is truly the Hotness!!!! Motobecane/Bikesdirect should start mass producing that one! That would surely launch them into the mainstream!

Btw - I searched the Moto forum for "ORA" and found no entries. So, I'm thinking this may be new info to the Moto forum.

PS - Kinesis still makes all Moto Aluminium (Kinesium) frames. This forum entry refers to the Titanium frames only.

Check it out and Enjoy!!!
    Last edited by Odiggy; 10-21-2011 at 11:04 AM. Reason: spelling & syntax

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Whoever they are, they do a damn good job. My Fly Ti is well designed and well made and holds up great for three years now.

thecentralscrutinizer
    That's pretty cool. Thanks for the info.
    2013 DeVinci Leo SL
    2012 Niner Air9
    2009 SE Racing SoCal Flyer
    2003 TiSport Gman

mtbr member
    Nice find.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Very nice find. Thanks, OP. I can't wait to get my hands on a BD Ti 29er. I'm really enjoying their Ti road bike.

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    They also make the Ritchey ti breakaway frames.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the update.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011

Smile Here's photos of ORA handbuilding titanium frames and quality control

[QUOTE=mopartodd;85578I discovered who manufactures all Motobecane Titanium Frames-3-2.jpeg

I discovered who manufactures all Motobecane Titanium Frames-2-2.jpeg
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3-2.jpeg 
Views:	6272 
Size:	118.8 KB 
ID:	652961
    Name:  3-4.jpeg
Views: 15900
Size:  23.6 KB

I discovered who manufactures all Motobecane Titanium Frames-5-1.jpeg

Name:  2-1.jpeg
Views: 15312
Size:  25.6 KB84]That's pretty cool. Thanks for the info.[/QUOT

I got these photos from their website. There are more, but I wanted to try to capture the "hands on" approach these guys use during manufacturing. Also i wanted to post pics of some of the machines used during the alignment and quality control checks. I think these go a long way in quelling the argument that the Motobecane ti frame is from some cheap mass production house in China, and lacking in the quality controls the other "hi end" manufacturers employ.
    From ORA's website, they claim to manufacture for several leading name brands as well.
    Anyway, I'm headed out for a ride!

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by 92gli View Post
    They also make the Ritchey ti breakaway frames.
    By the way, here's a couple of photos of the finished product. This one is mine!!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails I discovered who manufactures all Motobecane Titanium Frames-img00092-20110924-1400.jpg  

I discovered who manufactures all Motobecane Titanium Frames-img00091-20110924-1359.jpg  

I discovered who manufactures all Motobecane Titanium Frames-img00076-20110920-1658.jpg  

I discovered who manufactures all Motobecane Titanium Frames-img00081-20110920-1702.jpg  

I discovered who manufactures all Motobecane Titanium Frames-img00085-20110920-1854.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Thanks for the link, great to know who's behind the name. I felt a lot better about my Alu 26er once I knew more about Kinesis.

Couple a questions, what size frame did you get and how tall are you? I would think that the 19" would be okay for me at 6'0" but from what I've seen some people say the 17.5" would work too. Call me skeptical

Also, how much assembly was there to do?

thanks.

CC

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by cac313 View Post
    Thanks for the link, great to know who's behind the name. I felt a lot better about my Alu 26er once I knew more about Kinesis.

Couple a questions, what size frame did you get and how tall are you? I would think that the 19" would be okay for me at 6'0" but from what I've seen some people say the 17.5" would work too. Call me skeptical

Also, how much assembly was there to do?

thanks.

CC
    I'm a legitimate Clyde at 6'4" and 240lbs! I got the XL 21". It fits me perfectly! It's the best bike I've ever owned. I also got my wife a 2011 Fantom Pro 29er. Hers is a 19".
    I assembled both of them with no problem whatsoever. A set of metric hex (Allen) wrenches and an adjustable wrench is all that's needed. In fact, I think I only actually needed the Hex set for my Fly Team Ti.
    The Fantom Pro 29er did need the most assembly between the 2 bikes, but is wasn't difficult at all. Handlebars, seatpost, and wheels are pretty standard items to remove and install on any bike. The most involved item was the front caliper of the front brake. The RockShox Reba needs to be inserted and tightened to the stem as well, but again it's really not hard to do at all. I can't imagine how mechanically "challenged" a person would have to be not to be able to do it. I read some folks reviews saying they had to take the bike in after the "manufacturer" installed the cables in a twisted manner. Fact is, it was them that put it on wrong way round and without paying attention to the cable draping.
    The Fly Team Ti is easier still as compared to the Fantom 29er assembly. The Reba fork is already installed and the headset is in a sealed cartridge. The gear triggers are already on the bar along with the front and rear brake handles. The brake rotors and seat post, front wheel and handlebar were the only other parts needing install. If some teen at Wal-Mart can manage to assemble their entire line of bikes correctly, believe me, you can do it too!
    Good Luck and have fun! It's a superb bike. Believe me, you won't be disappointed.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    [QUOTE=Odiggy;8773457}If some teen at Wal-Mart can manage to assemble their entire line of bikes correctly, believe me, you can do it too![/QUOTE]

They may be assembled, but that doesn't mean they are correct.

newfydog
    May 2009
    We have four of them. A 29er, 26er, and 2 cyclocross bikes. That ti cyclocross bike may be my favorite. It takes everything from road wheels to 26" mtb wheels with 1.9 tires (disc brakes let you swap rim size)

KMA
    T U R T L E S P E E D
    Thanks for sharing! I like this (Stainless Steel) ORA ENGINNERING CO,. LTD

Two years on my Motobecane Ti Team 29er and it's holding up fine.

If Motobecane made a sub $1K complete super fat tire bike (ie Surly Pugsley/Moonlander) I might have to buy another bike.

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by KMA View Post
    Thanks for sharing! I like this (Stainless Steel) ORA ENGINNERING CO,. LTD

Two years on my Motobecane Ti Team 29er and it's holding up fine.

If Motobecane made a sub $1K complete super fat tire bike (ie Surly Pugsley/Moonlander) I might have to buy another bike.
    A $1000 -1200 titanium frame and fork set for fat tires (Surly pug clone would be fine) - I will prepay right now.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Can we buy direct from ORA?

workin' it Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by ser182 View Post
    Can we buy direct from ORA?
    If you want well made reasonably priced Ti frame go with a Triton. See here: Triton Bikes Ti 29er ... Giving it a Try!

Really reasonable price for a well made custom Ti frame.
    Try this: HTFU

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by rockcrusher View Post
    If you want well made reasonably priced Ti frame go with a Triton. See here: Triton Bikes Ti 29er ... Giving it a Try!

Really reasonable price for a well made custom Ti frame.
    You can get the Moto fly team ti 29er frame with the RockShox Reba fork for $1100. If you can find a better deal than that for a ti frame and fork, then yes, you should get it! But good luck finding it!

workin' it Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Odiggy View Post
    You can get the Moto fly team ti 29er frame with the RockShox Reba fork for $1100. If you can find a better deal than that for a ti frame and fork, then yes, you should get it! But good luck finding it!
    My answer was in response to someone wondering if they could buy direct and why would someone want to buy direct unless they wanted something different than what Motobecane offered? Sure as hell the Motobecane won't be letting the manufacturer sell the same bike they sell direct and at an even lower price. Just like the company that makes the Specialized bikes, even if you could buy direct from them, you are not going to be getting a relabeled FSR with fox components.

So if a $1100 motobecane is good enough then go for it. If something a little more specialized is required, Triton offers fantastic deals on custom bikes. That is you call the man, he takes notes, your measurements, sends you drawings, you approve them, talk about finishes then he sends you a bike to your specifications. Similar to what Motobecane does with ORA but on a single bike scale.

If you want to know what it is like to buy from the source check out some of the chinese carbon threads. These guys make a lot of the smaller brand carbon bikes and you can buy direct from them but you aren't getting an On-One or Niner or whatever, you are getting an even more generic carbon frame, the full suspension comes with most of the hardware but you need to find a shock, and mounting bits and the proper tune. Buying direct is like buying a kit car, you need to do all the things the Brand does when you get the bike which includes checking the frame, in some cases straightening them, adding water bottle bolts, chasing and facing, etc.

So in response to you comment, yes you can get a motobecane Ti and reba for $1100 but you won't get it from ORA and it isn't a custom frame either.
    Try this: HTFU

CS2
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Odiggy View Post
    I'm a legitimate Clyde at 6'4" and 240lbs! I got the XL 21". It fits me perfectly! It's the best bike I've ever owned. I also got my wife a 2011 Fantom Pro 29er. Hers is a 19".
    How tall is your wife?
    1982, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1986, 1992 Stumpjumpers. 1995 Waterford 1200, 1999 Waterford RSE, plus a garage full of steel frames.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by cs2 View Post
    how tall is your wife?
    5'10"

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Awesome!

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ssalmons View Post
    They may be assembled, but that doesn't mean they are correct.
    Had my niece and nephew down for a weekend bike riding. Their mom pulled their bikes out of the shed, loaded them up, and off they went. By the time we got ready to ride the next day I saw just how much the kids had grown in comparison to the bikes!

So with weekend clock running, off to Wal-Mart I went..... I was able find two bikes on the rack that fit the kids well, were reasonably priced, and later to my surprise, were found to be assembled with competence and care.

So???? Maybe not all Wal-mart bike assemblers are not incompetent!
    Last edited by Odiggy; 05-07-2012 at 01:29 AM.

mtbr member
    nice find

mtbr member
    Any idea if they will release 650b frames?
    IMG Jamis Sixfifty B2
    Gone, but not forgotten:GT LTS-3, GT Zascar Expert Carbon, Look 986, Giant Anthem Advanced

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast