mtbr member

How to make my flyer 29 more mountain friendly...

I bought the moto ti flyer 29 XO last summer as I got back in to biking. The moto worked awesome on my usual XC trails I rode, but I started riding more and more technical trails and it seems the bike as it was built has some limitations.

I started looking at some FS bikes but frankly I don't have the dough to spent another 2-3K for a new bike, so I decided to wait. Meanwhile I am looking for ways to make the moto a bit downhill and rock friendly. The climbing and smooth parts are pure joy, but the rocky descents are scary.

So far the only changes from stock I made were raised handlebars, longer seat post and tubeless tires - the latter helped with the bumps a bit. I also put back my flat pedals on to make it easier to bail and made a bit more comfortable on the descents.

I am also looking for a shorter stem - 70mm with a slight raise - to reduce my OTB fear and I bought a koobi enduro PRS (half off !) seat to further cut down on the chatter...

Anything else anyone can suggest to make this XC a bit more of a trail/all mountain bike?

mtbr member
    Pump the terrain? Only half joking of course. I'm sure many will agree that your bike if just not the right tool for the job. One thing you could do is get an angleset or Workscomponents headset to slacken the head angle; will help in that OTB feeling you get when things get dicey. But beyond that you might just want to scour craigslist perhaps?
    Just keep pedaling, don't stop pedaling.

AZ
    banned
    Perhaps some higher volume tires.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS View Post
    Perhaps some higher volume tires.
    Yes, I was thinking that as well.

mtbr member
    I put a Ardent 2.4 on the front and a Nevgal 2.3 on the rear and it gave a nice increase in absorption.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by elcaro1101 View Post
    I put a Ardent 2.4 on the front and a Nevgal 2.3 on the rear and it gave a nice increase in absorption.
    Wow, what size did you have on before?
    I am running spec 2.2 front and 2.0 on the back.
    I was thinking of doing 2.3 and 2.2 - but now you got me thinking.
    Does it feel more sluggish?

mtbr member
    BTW, the 70mm stem made a noticeable difference - I felt more in control and didn't feel like I was falling forward as much. The Koobi is awesome, I put it on and totally forgot it about and after ride realized I didn't even feel the seat - I guess that's the point. I really enjoy flat pedals, it must look weird to run a xc bike with flats but it allows me to try stuff I was scared to do before, knowing that I can easily bail.
    I dropped the seatpost high as much as I could without compromising my pedalin...(I hope)
    It's much better, MUCH better - my descent times have improved (tested on STRAVA)

Next item on the list - bigger tires.

Thanks guys.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by metalaficionado View Post
    Anything else anyone can suggest to make this XC a bit more of a trail/all mountain bike?
    Have you put wider bars on in addition to the shorter stem? They'll definitely put you more in control.

Learn to get comfortable in the cockpit and practice unweighting the front end. A lot of people are moving to really slack bikes for the confidence but havent yet learned the skills to descend safely and fast.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GTscoob View Post
    Have you put wider bars on in addition to the shorter stem? They'll definitely put you more in control.

Learn to get comfortable in the cockpit and practice unweighting the front end. A lot of people are moving to really slack bikes for the confidence but havent yet learned the skills to descend safely and fast.
    good point, ultimately it's about the rider

mtbr member
    I just realized. The Reba rockshox fork has adjustable travel. I am at 100mm now and could push it up to 120 mm. Is is true that head angle will decrease by 1 degree if I would do that. Has anyone else tried it. That would slacken up the angle quite a bit.

mtbr member
    I just realized. The Reba rockshox fork has adjustable travel. I am at 100mm now and could push it up to 120 mm. Is is true that head angle will decrease by 1 degree if I would do that. Has anyone else tried it. That would slacken up the angle quite a bit.
    It will slacken the head angle, seat angle, raise the bottom bracket, lengthen the wheelbase, and overall shift your weight rearward on the bike if you keep your cockpit setup the same. Not an uncommon thing putting a 20mm taller fork on the front of a bike and you can probably get away with it.

Ultimately that bike has really XC geometry so you can go to a more AM cockpit setup (wide bars, 60-80mm stem) which will give you control but there's a lot more to soaking up the chunder than just handlebars and suspension travel.

Folks were riding rigid bikes or short travel hardtails on technical terrain before full suspensions were invented and many still do so. Dont depend more suspension travel and DH cockpit setups to help you descend.

mtbr member
    Wow, what size did you have on before?
    I am running spec 2.2 front and 2.0 on the back.
    I was thinking of doing 2.3 and 2.2 - but now you got me thinking.
    Does it feel more sluggish?
    I was using 2.25 Spec Captain Controls, both F/R. Change from those to the new ones wasn't a planned decision, more a I need tires what do you have right now change. The store had the narrower Ardent, but went with the wider and has been a good choice. It doesn't seem sluggish to me, but I'm not a racer, so I may not be the best judge.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by elcaro1101 View Post
    I was using 2.25 Spec Captain Controls, both F/R. Change from those to the new ones wasn't a planned decision, more a I need tires what do you have right now change. The store had the narrower Ardent, but went with the wider and has been a good choice. It doesn't seem sluggish to me, but I'm not a racer, so I may not be the best judge.
    cool, I wouldn't mind slowing the bike down a bit -it's too fast !