mtbr member
    Aug 2008

How fragile are the SRAm X.9 derailleurs (Windsor Cliff29 Team)

Windsor Cliff29 Team seems like a nice bike, but it has teh X.9 derailleurs which many people have complained about snapping off and messing up the spokes in the wheels

56-year-old teenager
    Aug 2006
    I've bent several derailleur hangers but my X.9 rear D still works just fine.
    Work is the curse of the biking classes.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wearetheborg
    Windsor Cliff29 Team seems like a nice bike, but it has teh X.9 derailleurs which many people have complained about snapping off and messing up the spokes in the wheels
    Honestly I have never heard of this. If fact, I have never heard of any derailleur doing this which wasn't because of limit screws not being adjusted properly or derailleur hangers which were already bent.

The X.9 is one of the best derailleurs out there and it has a great reputation for being tough and reliable. I have an X.7, which is one level lower, and it has been 100% trouble free under hard shifting, rocky terrain, etc

Former Bike Wrench
    I've owned SRAM rear derailleurs since 1997, including 700, 900, 9.0, 9.0SL, X.O., X-9, and X-7 (currently) and not a single one has ever "snapped off". In fact, I have bent a few hangers from impacts to the derailleur and the hanger had to be replaced...but the derailleur still functioned flawlessly.

As a former bicycle mechanic, I can tell you that derailleurs don't just "snap off" or go in to the spokes. They are either not adjusted correctly (limit screws), have a bent hanger, have too short of a chain (and are being "big-big" cross chained), suffer a major impact, or an object like a stick gets caught up in them. They just don't spontaneously explode.