mtbr member
    Dec 2007

How do I really get warranty service?

I have owned 5 Motos. I still have 4 of them. Sort of. One I sent back for a warranty evaluation. On July 9th I was riding my Fly 9357. I noticed a creak that started during the ride. After the ride I inspected the frame and saw cracks developing around welds at the seat and top tube junctions.

I contacted bikes direct and they told me to send the complete bike to Florida to be evaluated for warranty, The email said to give Chris a couple days to do the eval.

I spent $174 to ship the complete bike quickly to them by FedEx. In hindsight it was really stupid to spend so much money on shipping the bike by air. It has now been 23 days since they received the bike and 11 days since I have heard anything from them.

Last email I received said they were really busy and would get back to me soon. That was 11 days ago.

Now, I have really enjoyed my Motobecane bikes and I believe they are top quality. All bikes can have problems. I don't blame cracks on poor quality, but this kind of warranty service is extemely poor.

Anyone know of a way to speed up the process?

Maybe being a squeeky wheel here on the forum might speed it up. I'm hoping.
    Cycling - What else is there?

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Try sending a PM to the bikesdirect mtbr account. I know you can do that if you find a thread here that they have posted and you can click on the name and send a PM. See if this link works:

http://forums.mtbr.com/private.php?do=newpm&u=306041

It seems to me you would have been better off just buying a new frame. The Fly frames are not too expensive.
    2012 On One Whippet 650b
    2012 Santa Cruz TRc 650b
    2014 On One Dirty Disco
    2010 Soma Groove
    1987 Haro RS1

Bushwacker
    I think Moto is one and the same as Cycle Spectrum. Did you send it to one of these locations http://cyclespectrum.com/page.cfm?PageID=12 ?
    If so, I'd call them and ask them why the are not responding to you. How long does it take to look at a cracked frame, 5 minutes? Post updates...
    When I'm not windsurfing, I'm mountain biking

Former Bike Wrench
    If it makes you feel any better, I waited 4 months for a replacement Iron Horse frame in 2003...4 FREAKIN' MONTHS and never got any responses to my e-mails or phone calls. It just showed up one day.

In an interesting twist of irony...the box it arrived in had a typo...it read IRON HOSER

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker72
    If it makes you feel any better, I waited 4 months for a replacement Iron Horse frame in 2003...4 FREAKIN' MONTHS and never got any responses to my e-mails or phone calls. It just showed up one day.

In an interesting twist of irony...the box it arrived in had a typo...it read IRON HOSER
    But if I had to guess, you did not have to send your ENTIRE bike in to Iron Horse. Sending the frame is one thing because it is broken anyways. But to have to be without all the usable components so that you cannot even build up another frame is bad. I understand they do it because they need to inspect the bike for abuse, but it still sucks.
    2012 On One Whippet 650b
    2012 Santa Cruz TRc 650b
    2014 On One Dirty Disco
    2010 Soma Groove
    1987 Haro RS1

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Thanks for the suggestions. I have PM'd bikesdirect. I'll update when I know if it has helped speed up the process.

Ya, I think I should have just bought a new frame. Actually I should have just sent it ground for $65. Apparently there is no need to hurry. I actually have a large 9357 frame that is slightly used. The one I sent back is a Med. If I had the components from the bike I sent back, I could build up the large frame. I can actually ride either frame since I'm 5ft 11.5 in. tall. I just prefer the smaller frame.

Long Distance MTB
    Nothing to add, just interested in the result.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    This update is long overdue, but perhaps better late than never.

It did take a long time to get concrete contact with bikesdirect. After PMing bikes direct I did get a quick reply. I learned of a family emergency that took Mike away from business stuff and that slowed down the process. I believe customer service would have been faster without the family issue.

Another thing that slowed the process is they looked for my purchase records, but could not find them. Not too surprising since I bought the bike almost 4 years ago.

They also didn't think the frame break was caused by a manufacturing defect. The break was at the top tube/seat tube junction. They thought I had run the seatpost with the minimum insertion line above the top of the seat tube. That is absolutely not the case. I had installed a longer seat post than the 330mm that came with the bike, but it was installed with a lot of seat post still down in the tube and not above the min. insertion mark. The seat was higher than the 330mm seat post would have allowed. I agreed that the extra leverage could have caused the crack. It was explained to me that adding a different seat post is considered a bike modification and technically voids the warranty. That creates some confusion in my mind as to how good a warranty is that can void it for that. What if I need a little wider handlebar? Can I add it without voiding the warranty? I didn't get into that discussion...

So, I was basically told that I had voided the warranty, but the bottom line was that bikesdirect would actually do what I asked them to. If I wanted a new frame they would have sent it. He did say he didn't know if they had a replacement avail. That could have been problematic if I had chosen that option.

I chose to have my complete bike sent back to me at their cost with some new cables/housing and two new tubes. I would also get a discount on a bike purchase I have been planning for this fall. I haven't made that purchase yet, but will soon.

This whole process took about 8 weeks. I could not ride the bike in three races I entered, but I got my broken bike back in time to build up my large 9357 frame (that I got locally from a friend) and take third (overall) in the Widowmaker Hill Climb (3000 ft in 4.9 mi.) at Snowbird Ski Resort, here in Utah. My son took first overall in the race on his 2005 Fly 9357.

The large frame does actually feel a lot larger than my med frame. I do prefer the med frame, but my legs are apparently a little too long for a medium. The fork steerer tube was also barely long enough to use in the large frame. I couldn't use any of the headset spacers. I hadn't even thought about the increased length of the head tube on the new frame, but it has worked out OK. My rebuilt bike weighs in at 23 lbs 4 oz. Almost stock---changes are:
    1. a little wider aluminum handlebar
    2. Thomson Masterpiece 330mm seatpost
    3. Kenda Small Block 8's
    4. eggbeater sl pedals
    5. Performance lunarlite tubes.
    The large frame weighed 2 oz. more than my med frame at 3lbs 14 oz with headset and bearings.

I'm basically happy with how everything turned out. I do wish it had transpired more quickly, but understand that family comes first in life, not customers. If a future need for warranty coverage comes up, I won't be in a rush to send in my complete bike. Moto frames are too inexpensive to be spending lots of money on shipping costs, like I did.
    Last edited by guapo1; 11-02-2008 at 07:29 AM.

tcufrog02
    Quote Originally Posted by guapo1
    It was explained to me that adding a different seat post is considered a bike modification and technically voids the warranty. That creates some confusion in my mind as to how good a warranty is that can void it for that. What if I need a little wider handlebar? Can I add it without voiding the warranty? I didn't get into that discussion...
    That's dumb. I, personally, would have gotten into that discussion. That sounds like a conditional warranty...not the right way to guarantee a product in my book.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by guapo1
    I do wish it had transpired more quickly, but understand that family comes first in life, not customers.
    No, it's a company and customers should always come first. It's a nice attitude, but a company that puts clients second is a company that doesn't last. Did you get your $ back for the three races you signed up for or the air shipping cost? Yes, their prices are the best but this is why they have to be so low. It's almost like buying off of ebay.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by RogerDoger
    No, it's a company and customers should always come first. It's a nice attitude, but a company that puts clients second is a company that doesn't last. Did you get your $ back for the three races you signed up for or the air shipping cost? Yes, their prices are the best but this is why they have to be so low. It's almost like buying off of ebay.
    I worked in retail for 15 years and yes, I believe the customer is king and should come first. In this case, an unexpected family injury, I will cut bikesdirect some slack.

Once I PM'd Mike, he did respond quickly. Once he shipped my bike back it took 12 days from Florida to Utah. UPS ground is very slow over long distances because the loaded semi trailers are shipped by train most of the way, not truck. I did not get any of my shipping costs back and I did have a backup bike that I raced in the races I had entered. I much prefer to race a HT bike, but my FS Kona is full XTR and pretty light, so it worked out OK for the three races. I took 2nd place twice and 3rd place once. I may have done better racing the HT, but my finishes were still respectable.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    The only issue I have had was handled at the store. Was not a broken frame just a bad bearing but was repaired free while I waited and the bike is nearly 2 years old.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Sorry, just trying to delete quote.