Go make a difference

How is bikesdirect.com??

Just wondering how you have found buying from bikesdirect.com. Did you have a good experience? Did you get what you ordered? Have you had to return anything and if so, how did that go?

I've heard mixed reviews so I'm just wondering.

Thanks!
    Charles Myrick
    33North Adventures | Owner
    Bike | Climb | Hike | Paddle
    New trips: Tibet & Bosnia!

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I bought a bike from them in February. Everything went smooth. Then I had to replace the crankset: I contacted them and they sent me a box with the new crank and I sent the previous one back. No problems at all and I would buy from them again.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I bought a FLY 9357 back in April. I was very pleased with the buying experience, and the fast shipping. I love the bike, it was just as advertised and it is a lot of bike for the money.

I have read some horror stories concerning warranty stuff on this forum, but when you are reading a forum you never really know the whole story. I think the vast majority of owners will tell you they love their bikes. Just keep in mind that there are a lot of bike snobs that won't give Motobecane any respect.
    2012 On One Whippet 650b
    2012 Santa Cruz TRc 650b
    2014 On One Dirty Disco
    2010 Soma Groove
    1987 Haro RS1

locked - time out
    Dec 2008

Never again

They did not want to send me a noodle, they said it was an unnecessary part. In all I paid for what I got, I should have gotten a better bike. AND... I almost got in tax trouble because I did not report my purchase when filing state taxes. Since it was an innocent mistake the state let me go. I'm not buying another bike from bikesdirect.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by choice01
    Idiot

If you buy out of state and do so via mail order there IS NO TAXES !

Don't get everyone all hyped up over nothing.

Mtbr Forum Sponsor
    They did not want to send me a noodle, they said it was an unnecessary part. In all I paid for what I got, I should have gotten a better bike. AND... I almost got in tax trouble because I did not report my purchase when filing state taxes. Since it was an innocent mistake the state let me go. I'm not buying another bike from bikesdirect.

Let me be very clear about this
    You have two posts
    You post no pictures of you with the bike
    You report two items that make no sense

Everyone on this forum buys stuff online and no one I know of has ever reported getting in trouble over sales tax.

You should not be surprised if people find your the story hard to believe

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I'm a happy customer. The bike arrived four days after I ordered it and it was packed well and undamaged. Assembly was easy, though I recommend going over the entire bike checking torque on the fasteners. I'd buy from them again.

HTFU!
    I have had my bike for approximately eight months and recently had an issue (posted in another thread). I have been treated more than fair by bikesdirect for a broken part that may be my fault in the first place. I did not even ask for such good service, yet it was provided. As far as I am concerned, as long as they are selling bikes, they have a customer for life.

mpg
    mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I have the Fantom 29 and I am very satisfied. I have been documenting my experience with the bike in a blog at http://motobecanefantom29.blogspot.com/

The bike was delievered as promised in about 5 days. I have learned to do my own maintenance from sites on the internet. I have not had any significant problems with the bike.

Go make a difference
    Ok, so tell me this...how do you find out what the frame weights are for Moto's? BD.com doesn't post anything, the Moto website doesn't post it...what are they afraid of happening by posting such info? I'm looking at one of the 29ers for a back up and a friend if mine is looking at the Nemesis tri bike but I'm not giving it another thought until I know weights.
    Charles Myrick
    33North Adventures | Owner
    Bike | Climb | Hike | Paddle
    New trips: Tibet & Bosnia!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by k2biker
    Ok, so tell me this...how do you find out what the frame weights are for Moto's? BD.com doesn't post anything, the Moto website doesn't post it...what are they afraid of happening by posting such info? I'm looking at one of the 29ers for a back up and a friend if mine is looking at the Nemesis tri bike but I'm not giving it another thought until I know weights.
    the last time i was on the bikes direct site, the bikes i was looking at had a weight posted (see below).

VERY few bike companies post weights any more. most of them would post false weights or without paint, grease valve caps... just goofy.

best way to find out what bike or frames REALLY weigh is ask other right here, on the forums.

BTW - my fly team came in at claimed weight. this from the bikes direct site.

Kinesis Kinesium Butted Aluminum 2.7lbs, 2xH2O Bosses, replaceable rear derailleur hanger

mtbr member
    You are mentally unfit to make purchases over internet.

For everybody else bikesdirect is a great deal and a good product. I like my Fly Ti.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Bought a Fantom29 Pro. No problems, bike arrived in 4 days. Had a cosmetic ding on a cable covering due to UPS, not BD...no biggie. I'll be buying again.

P

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I have Fantom Pro 29 since may. So far I'm very happy with my purchase. I'm riding very technical trails and rock gardens and the bike holds very good. BD services is also great. When I asked for stem spacer one was send immediately. When i complained about noisy rotor replacement was sent right away with new pads.

Currently I'm looking to buy road bike and it looks like BD will get my money. Can't get better value anywhere else.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    You are wrong. Many states, have 'use tax' which is specifically for making its residents pay tax on things that they buy tax-free - very specifically internet and mail order purchased. Depending on where you are in the food chain and how you file your taxes (do you file state sales and use tax returns?), yes you absolutely must claim what you buy online, including that bike from the internet. Several states including CA and NY now require you to enter how much you bought on the internet on your tax returns, so you can pay the taxes.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I bought the fantom team from them and have had no real issues with the bike aside from the seatpost which i hate (it wont hold the seat in place) but thats really a none issue I can replace that with the money i saved anyways the service and the performance has been great so good in fact that i just picked up a fly Ti a few weeks ago

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I bought a bike for my brother over the holidays and had it shipped directly to him. It arrived in about a week and he says he couldn't be happier with it.

nor
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    I like bikesdirect but I also like my own boogers.
    ron-k.blogspot.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I love my Fantom29Pro. I am so ahead of the game by purchasing this bike vs. the Specialized Stumpjumper Comp29. For starters... Rock Shox Rebas for a $1600 bike? C'mon! The rest of the components (on the Fantom29Pro) FAR outshine the Stumpjumper's. My experience with BD was outstanding! I'd heard so much hype from the LBS's and from some bone heads like (Choice01) that I was apprehensive at first.
    Bikesdirect was extremely easy to deal with.
    I in fact had ordered the Fantom 29 initially and it was in transit when I changed my mind that I wanted the Pro instead. I quickly realized that I was going to want to upgrade the crankset and the fork and saw that I'd easily spend $450-$500 more doing so.
    That in itself could have screwed things up really bad. It didn't. I called Karla at bikesdirect and told her I wanted the Pro instead. She instructed me to not accept delivery on the Fantom29 from UPS so I wouldn't have to incur the cost in sending it back. Also that way, she could still track that it was going back to her at bikesdirect.
    The next day I refused delivery and the UPS tracking showed that the bike was going back to BD. I called her up and she verified it. It was at that moment I paid her an extra $200 dollars. Three days later I received my new toy. Done deal.
    Point is... It could have been a complicated mess but she made it a very easy deal. I would not be afraid to order from bikesdirect again and I will be doing it again for my son's bike.