Thread: Help-please????

mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Smile Help-please????

Hi,

I'm new to all this. I've tried and i like both types of bikes 26inch 29inch type wheels so for me there's no true preference. My question is which of these two bikes is the better deal and also which of these bikes is more upgradable in the future with still retaining a decent bike??? I'm 240-lbs 5"11-height my riding will mostly consist of cross country with small two foot jumps and inner city riding.

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...tom_comp08.htm

Or this bike?

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...om29pro_08.htm

Thank you for any help or opinions that you may have.

Frt Range, CO
    You need to measure your inseam and then choose the correct size based on that. you're overall height isn't really the correct measurement to go by.

The frames are fine. At 5-11 you could go with either the 26 or the 29. In the end, you pay a little more for the 29er, it's newer trend and gets a premium.

Both sizes will be fine, most important is to order the bike so you can start riding

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Both of these bikes a good deals and both are equally upgradeable. It really comes down to what you prefer 26 or 29 inch wheels. I will list some of the benefits of each (hopefully without getting anyone too worked up over my generalizations)

26- Shorter wheelbase and smaller wheels mean you can take tight turns faster.
    Smaller wheels mean less rotating weight for quicker acceleration.
    Usually more standover height.
    Lower gearing to help climbing steep hills.

29- Large wheels and tires "roll over" obstacles much better
    Larger wheels and tires give more traction, especially noticeable when climbing
    Larger wheels allow higher speeds, especially useful if you ride a lot on the road
    The larger wheels provide a lot more resistance to brake enduced endos
    Bike is more proportional to larger riders
    2012 On One Whippet 650b
    2012 Santa Cruz TRc 650b
    2014 On One Dirty Disco
    2010 Soma Groove
    1987 Haro RS1