spizwhiz
    Apr 2016

Help Me Price My Used Motobecane Fantom FS 29er

Hi Guys,

I am looking to move to a longer travel bike, so I will probably sell my 2012 Fantom FS 29er, and I am wondering what a fair price would be. Since these bikes are more rare than other name brands it has been tougher to find comparable bikes on used bike websites. When I purchased the bike, I got the XT build for $1,600, and have done the following part replacement/upgrades:

Item Price
    Original Bike 1600
    Stan's Arch EX Wheel 350
    Stan's Arch Wheel 300
    RaceFace Ride Crankset 70
    Jagwire Cable and Housing 25
    Shimano XT Brakes 200
    DT Swiss 240s Rear Hub 360
    Seat 40
    SLX Rotors 50
    Nobby Nic 80
    Maxxis Ardent 80

I will post pics of the bike soon, but it is in good condition and has been well maintained, but ridden fairly regularly. Fork and shock were recently serviced.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Don't even bother trying to price it as comparable to a new bike. It's difficult enough to price used bikesdirect bikes when they don't have any mods. Once you start changing parts, almost impossible. Price it out by components that it currently has, and assume the frame has minimal value.

Ignore what you paid for the parts, because you'll never get it back, especially if you try to justify a $350 stans ex wheel plus an additional $360 for a DT swiss rear hub. It's not going to add up.
    "a hundred travel books isn't worth one real trip"

spizwhiz
    Apr 2016
    The numbers I posted here were only given as a frame of reference for what parts are on the bike so that folks wouldn't have to go look them up themselves. I am aware that I should not expect to recoup amounts close to purchase price on either the frame or any of the components. Anyone want to throw a number out? I was thinking in the $800-1000 range.

mtbr member
    Your thinking seems sound to me. I would list the upgrades and ask $850 expecting to sell it for $750 to $800. If I didn't get that I would consider keeping it as a backup if your situation allows.

Eric

mtbr member
    As someone who has bought and sold countless bikes over the last 30 years, I would agree keeping it as a second bike if you can. Generally, if your selling and buying, you'll do better never putting money out on a new bike btw. Of course, you could always just go with a new BD bike and start your fun all over again.
    The member formerly known as Redtires....

I am the Tin Man!
    If you are in a position to buy first and sell later I would switch the custom parts out for stock on the new bike, wouldnt affect resale price much at all but would save a ton on eventual upgrades.
    Flyin the TallBoy...Clyde style.

SOMEBODY I LOVE NEEDS A HEART!

I AM AN ORGAN DONOR, ARE YOU?

mtbr member
    I wouldn't let those nice parts go with that frame.. you will lose a lot of money... buy a nice frame and build it up with those parts.. .and sell the motobecane frame...

I would think you would get $900 to $1100 for your bike (even with all the upgrades) selling used.

Motobecanes have horrible re-sale value.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Flucod View Post
    Why is that, they are made in the same place as Trek and Specialized, they are the same quality. Says so right on their website.
    not a question for me... ask those dudes who insist on removing the stickers off of motobecane bikes..

Help Me Price My Used Motobecane Fantom FS 29er-dumbasses-dumbasses-everywhere-ckupu2.jpg

Frt Range, CO
    Around here you'd be lucky to get more than $600 for that bike, esp since there's no dropper post.