mtbr member
    Jul 2012

Help me Decide Moto 500HT or Cliff 4700

Ok, been riding a 12 year old Diamondback Response Sport that I got in great shape of CL for $100. Was a huge step up from my Mongoose. I am hooked. Graduated from greenways to easy and now intermediate trails here in TN. I have lost 40 pounds, and I am ready to get a new bike and let my 12 year old have my Diamondback for now.

The Motobecane 500HT and Windsor Cliff 4700 are the absolute most bike I can afford (and this will be the case for quite a while). With 3 kids, mortgage, braces, etc... there just isn't any real saving up much more than this for now.

So give me some input. There are no 6 foot jumps or hard core trails in my future, I just cannot risk it to my 43 year old body (though after 25 years of judo & jiu jitsu I am quite accomplished at taking falls). So it will easy and moderate trail riding in the Knoxville area. In time, with practice, I may attempt a few marked moderate/difficult.

I am on an 18" frame now, which feels great for the most part. I know the 500HT comes in an 18" frame as well, while the 4700 I would have to go to 17" or 19". So not sure which way to go on that. I have room in the stand over on the 18", but the seat is extended moderately. So going down to a 17" could max out seat extension, while the 19" might be a tad big, but not too much.

Anxious to hear some advice. Hope to order sometime in the next week.

Anti-elitist
    Sep 2012
    Don't know why you're considering the cliff. Its a) more expensive b) yellow (though this may be a good thing to some.) c) a narrowly geared bike (12-28t rather than 11-32) d) at the same component level as the 500. My $0.02. Is there something better about the windsor?

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    That is exactly why I asked for input. I am still relatively new. So I was wanting to know, is the price difference worth it between the cliff and moto. So thanks for the input. This is what I am looking for.

Also curious if the price difference between the 400/450HT Moto and the 500HT worth it? I think at this point I am leaning toward the 500HT, but was not sure if the cliff 4700 was any better in any way.

Anti-elitist
    Sep 2012
    The 400HT is actually not a bad deal. It comes with all the same components. The fork, surprisingly, is listed as the 2012 version of the xct. The 500 has '11. The 500 has acera/deore and the 400 has acera/alivio. Both have 8 speed drivetrains. The 500 has wider tires @ 2.1 vs 1.95. Those are the only differences I could spot.

If you want to be able to upgrade to a 9 speed more easily, want wider tires, and like gray more than black or yellow, get the 500ht. I have a bike with acera/alivio and it holds up fine. I don't know if the deore rd is worth it unless you are really gonna be riding seriously. Oh yeah don't get the 450. I've heard bad stuff about low end SRAM stuff.(cheaper materials)

mtbr member
    I disagree, I bought the 450HT these are all entry level so basically the same, my budget didn't let me go far either but I'm very happy with my 450 - I bent a break lever but that's because I took a mean fall but other than that, it has handle very well in beginner as well as intermediate trails. Just my .02c from one noob to another ! Good luck - keep us posted please!

IF on a budge $320.00 delivered, pretty good price and MUCH better than Walmart!
    2013 Cannondale Trail SL 3

"You will never ride alone"

Anti-elitist
    Sep 2012
    @jcd46 Sorry if I offended you. So can you vouch for the SRAM gruppo?

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Thanks again for the input. SO the only thing I gain between the 400HT and 500HT is wider tires and upgraded rear derailleur.

Much appreciated.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jcd46 View Post
    I disagree, I bought the 450HT these are all entry level so basically the same, my budget didn't let me go far either but I'm very happy with my 450 - I bent a break lever but that's because I took a mean fall but other than that, it has handle very well in beginner as well as intermediate trails. Just my .02c from one noob to another ! Good luck - keep us posted please!

IF on a budge $320.00 delivered, pretty good price and MUCH better than Walmart!
    I can't complain about my new 450HT. Haven't taken it out yet, but looks like it will be great!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sauprankul View Post
    @jcd46 Sorry if I offended you. So can you vouch for the SRAM gruppo?
    Not at all sauprankul - keep in mind I'm very new at this sport, but with some of the advice I've gotten from this forum, these entry level bikes are perfect just for that "starting point" into the sport, my bike has handle well even with a couple of nasty falls.

As far as the SRAM they are the "lower" end component but so far so good I do have a glitch with the front gear change but I'm sure is a FD issue, she needs to go to the LBS to replace a break lever and get an adjustment so I'll keep you posted if it has improved.

But for a noob learning the ropes, these bikes beat any Wallymart you can buy. The best advice I've gotten so far is wear the heck out of this one by then you know exactly what trails you will take on, what kind of riding you prefer and of course a better bike that suits one's needs. AND learn more about using a wrench on a bike!

ps. dang I need to work that spell check a bit better LOL
    2013 Cannondale Trail SL 3

"You will never ride alone"

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I bought the Cliff 4700. The one thing I found very disappointing was the Suntour xct fork. It was total garbage. I knew it would not be a best fork but it was like a poorly made pogo stick. I swapped it out for a RockShox xc28 which I picked up tor $80. I also put some decent rubber on it and upgraded the stem and bars. Now it's a decent bike.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by ttheroux View Post
    I bought the Cliff 4700. The one thing I found very disappointing was the Suntour xct fork. It was total garbage. I knew it would not be a best fork but it was like a poorly made pogo stick. I swapped it out for a RockShox xc28 which I picked up tor $80. I also put some decent rubber on it and upgraded the stem and bars. Now it's a decent bike.
    +1. the suntour xct fork is totally garbage.. My 9 year old GT mtn bike from dick's sporting goods has a better fork. The XCT clunks as you pull up on the handle bar. Even with a slight pull, it clunks.