Thread: Hello

mtbr member
    May 2008

Hello

I am new to the sport and after reading many reviews I went and picked up a 600 ht as my starter. My main question is about upgrades, one of the reason I purchased this bike was that many people were happy about this bikes ability to be upgraded.

Where do I start? I wont be riding anything too crazy, but my buddy wants to take me on a "locals favorite" Mr. Toad's Wild ride in a couple weeks.
    http://www.singletracks.com/php/trail.php?id=1203

Weight is a concern for me with the 3200' climb, so anything from handle bars to shocks, whats out there thats good, and where can I purchase it online?

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I got some sweet Easton EC70 Monkeylite Carbon Bars for my 600 DS off ebay for like $70 after shipping. Look for the Abaxo ebay store. (I'm not at all affiliated with them, I just love the bars and they shipped them out promptly)

That doesn't shave much weight though. You can go with lighter pedals and maybe a seatpost. That's the easy stuff. Other than that you can shave a good deal with a better wheelset.

It all depends on your budget and how and what you intend to ride. Get the best components you can afford. If you ever decide to upgrade your frame, you can switch many of the components to the new one.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Welcome to the site. It is always nice to have another Moto rider.

As far as upgrades I would not worry too much about them at this time. To really take enough weight off the bike to be meaningful you would need to spend lots of money. The places where weight matters the most is in the wheels, cranks, tires and tubes since they are reciprocating mass. The second best place to lose wieght is the fork, since a high end fork is usually close to 3 pounds lighter than a low end fork. Unfortunately aside from tires and tubes these are the most expensive parts to upgrade. You can get lighter bars, stem, seat post, seat, deraillers etc, but you are only going to save at most maybe 1 pound which won't really be noticeable.

To take 4 pounds off my wifes bike I replaced a Manitou Axel fork with a Rockshox SID, replaced the WTB SX24 wheels with WTB Speedisc wheels and put on lightweight tubes and tires. 4 pounds is definitely noticeable, but not cheap to acheive.

The best place to lose weight is in the rider. it is a lot easier to take 1 pound off your body than it is off of the bike. And typically the exercise and diet required to lose weight will result in more muscle and power.
    2012 On One Whippet 650b
    2012 Santa Cruz TRc 650b
    2014 On One Dirty Disco
    2010 Soma Groove
    1987 Haro RS1