mtbr member

HAL6 Expert or HAL Boost COMP 27.5PLUS

I am still waiting on shipping for the HAL6 Expert, happening this first week of September according to BD.
    I been starting to like the idea of 27.5 plus. It just so happens that on the Expert with the Revelation RC 160 I can run max 2.8. On the back it would be less, like 2.4 or so.
    Overall the HAL Boost COMP 27.5PLUS would get me there now instead of making changes/upgrades later. Better fork and rear shock too. I also like the option of going to 29" wheels, just in case or for resale value/options. Of the rest of the components like hubs and rims, etc., I don't understand enough to know the differences.
    The geometry varies too and from reading I believe the HAL6 seems better??
    I feel that the 27.5+ tires would suit trails with rocky creek beds and such better and climb better too.
    So what do you guys think. Change to the 27.5+ now or look at possibly putting a 2.8 front and narrower tire on the back of the Expert later? Does the geometry make a difference here worth considering?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails HAL6 Expert or HAL Boost COMP 27.5PLUS-hal5-hal6-geo.jpg  

HAL6 Expert or HAL Boost COMP 27.5PLUS-hal-boost-geo.jpg  

mtbr member
    Taking a close look at the rear triangle it looks like they made room for the 27.5+ tire by welding a short piece into the rear fork to widen it. I guess that works. ?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails HAL6 Expert or HAL Boost COMP 27.5PLUS-hal6-exp-blkgry.jpg  

HAL6 Expert or HAL Boost COMP 27.5PLUS-hal-boost-comp-blk.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Imo I would go with the hal boost. I was deciding between the hal 6 and the hal boost 2 mounths ago and decided on the boost. I like the option of going 29er if I want to. I really enjoy the bigger tires.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Medboy View Post
    Imo I would go with the hal boost. I was deciding between the hal 6 and the hal boost 2 mounths ago and decided on the boost. I like the option of going 29er if I want to. I really enjoy the bigger tires.
    Thanks. I agree and in the future will go for a boost for those reasons. Meanwhile I bought a used Devinci Troy carbon. Upgraded to Zee brakes, pike etc. for a 1200 CAD less then the boost. Well, I learned a lot by researching bikes and reading forums. I like my "new" bike but I am already missing the boost that I never yet had.