Zero Miles from Myself

Gravity Point5 or Elite - Give Me Some Size Suggestions

Ok so I have narrowed my choice down to a 2012 Gravity Point5 or the 2012 Fantom Elite. Both 29ers, but these are 2 very different frame sizes. The P5 will have a shorter ETT, Stays and Wheelbase.

So about me:
    - Height: 5' 8.5"
    - Inseam: Standing Barefoot with feet 8" apart: 33.17"
    - Saddle ride height: Center of BB to top of Saddle. 29" to 29.5"
    - Flexibility is not that great so I do not like long reach
    - Current 26" set up. Medium Intense Spider. 17.5 seat tube / 23" ETT
    - Riding Style: Florida XC and some Rock Gardens and drops etc. No Hucking or Jumping really to speak of.

If I go with the Gravity:
    - A 15.5 will mean a good bit of seat post out. I had to upgrade a Giant SM 15.5 that I had to a 400mm seat post to be able to get the right seat height
    - An ETT of 22.4 which is shorter than my present Mt Bike, Might be nice
    - The 17.5 has a longer 23.7 ETT so I could shorten the stem I guess

If The Elite
    - Same seat post issues on a 15.5, longer ETTs on both the 15.5 and the 17.5 size

Any recommendations on Size?

Thanks

Zero Miles from Myself
    Rode a Trek Cobria Today. EXACT SAME GEOMETRY as the Gravity EXCEPT the head angle is .2 degree different. The Cobria is more slack. Everything else is the same.

BD recommended me to a 15.5, but I rode a 17.5 and it seem to fit like a glove. Thing is, the Trek Cobria Costs $1159. To even start approaching the specs of the Point5 ... you have to step up to the Trek X-Caliber that costs $1539 ... and you still don't have the parts.

The only caveat of the Gravity may be the frame material. BD does not list it as butted or not so the frame may way a bit more than the Trek offerings ... but I had the shop weigh the Cobria ... it came in at 30.5. Guessing the Point5 would be less or just about the same. If the same, this pretty much tells you the frame is heavier since the Point5'a Reba weighs about 2 lbs less than Cobria's Recon fork.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I bought the Gravity point5 right before Christmas and so far am very happy. I'm 5'7" and went with the 17.5" frame, while I wouldn't want it to be any bigger I'm pretty sure the 15" frame would have been a little small. I replaced the bars with a wider set, put on some Ergon grips with the mini bar ends and got better seat. Even with replacing a few parts still a great deal.

I don't get the hate on BD's bikes, the frames are the same ones that manufacturers sell to the "name brands". They might not be this years design flavor but solid bikes nonetheless.

mtbr member

15.5 point5

I just ordered the 15.5 size of the Gravity 29point5. I am 5'8" and have been riding medium sized 26ers. Had I not paid close attention to the geometry, I probably would have bought the 17.5. By comparing the 29point5 and the Fantom29, I realized that the 15.5 29point5 has the exact same effective tt as my medium/18" '09 Giant Anthem X. I have found myself thinking that my Anthem X feels a little big. Had I gotten the 17.5 29point5, I would have added over an inch to the effective tt. It was a little bit of a mind f@&$ to buy a small bike for the first time without being able to ride it. I justified my decision by looking at what Niner recommends for their EMD 9, and by finding a few other discussions or FAQs that say that you should probably go a size smaller on a 29er vs. what you ride on a 26er. I'll repost once I get the bike and take it for a ride. I can tell pretty quick when the fit isn't right. I am probably going to move all the good parts onto an EMD 9 one day anyway. At least I'll have a better idea of what fits right before I spend the $ on that frame.

Did you get one yet?

Zero Miles from Myself
    Did not get one yet. Waiting on the new June Shipment of Matte Black.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    mrm1,
    Do you know when the Gravity 29point5 will be arriving in June. I'm just not sure if I should just go ahead and get the jet black, or should I just wait for the matte black.

I can't seem to be able to find pictures of the jet black frames.

Zero Miles from Myself
    BD told me the Matte Blacks will now be back in stock in July ... and NOT June. I was kinda tossed on the gloss black too. Might be nice, but I think I would have favored the matte.

BUT ... check Bike Island. as of last week they had some "scratch-n-dent" 29.5's for $100 off BDs price in the Mediums. Yup, that would be $999 and free shipping. Still would have full warranty. I asked them about the parts ... like the Reba fork, and they said any warranty issues would be handled thru them.

I asked about the color ... was it Matte or Gloss? ... and they wrote back "we have the matte Frame and fork combo". So I wrote back again saying ... just to clarify ... I was talking about the whole bike, not the Frame/Fork combo. Bike Island wrote back and said, "Yes" the whole bike is the Matte. BUT if I were pulling the trigger and really ordering ... I would call or send one more confirmation email to make sure on color.

That said ... I ended up becoming a Big Box Brand Name Ho this past weekend. When all was said and done, I bought used off Ebay. I just could not reconcile the wheelset ... and that a HT was going to weigh more than my current 26" FS race bike. So I got a Specy Stumpjumper all raced out with full XO / XT parts (see signature below). Hoping it is in as good a condition as the seller claims (and the pics looked). Basically the same size as I was going to buy in the 29.5, but with shorter chainstays, shorter wheelbase and steeper head angle. So ready to ride this Specy will be just over 24lbs ... more to my liking in the geo and weight department.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I looked at bike island. Only problem is that i need a 21.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by odie313 View Post
    mrm1,
    Do you know when the Gravity 29point5 will be arriving in June. I'm just not sure if I should just go ahead and get the jet black, or should I just wait for the matte black.

I can't seem to be able to find pictures of the jet black frames.
    brand new. cell phone pics of the gloss black

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    also worth mentioning: I picked the gravity over the motobecane for 2 reasons: the Trek/GF-esque geometry and the gravity has rack mounts if I ever use it for camping. The moto doesn't have rack mounts and has a bit steeper front end.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    cr4sht3st, thanks for posting pictures of the gloss black. Even with cell phone pics, the black doesn't look to shabby.

forgot to ask. How does it ride. Do you have any regrets.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I love it. I need some real pedals, but it's more than enough bike for me. The air fork was super easy to set up and stood up to logs and drops just fine so far. I rode a lot of $800-1000 bikes in local shops and nothing was close to the component spec. I did like the handling of the Specialized a bit more, but the shimano drivetrain was a bit of a let down. The X9 stuff is fantastic.

Here's a better photo

Zero Miles from Myself
    Yes that Jet Black is pretty slick looking. Also, it is amazing how small those wheels look on the big 21" frame. If you did not know better you'd think it was a 26" with a very small wheelbase. Guess that is why 26" wheels look odd on big bikes.

Good pic on the Jet Black. Nothing not to like on that bike.