Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Which Gravity?

mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Upset Which Gravity?

I have been lurking for a bit now. Read every thread that I could find that was relevent. I still cannot get a handle on what I should do.

Beginner, 6'3", 230lbs, 37. Havenít ridden any type of bike for > 10 years. Except twice in the last two weeks with a borrowed 26er. Looking to get into MB'ing for recreation and health.

My budget is limiting me to bikesdirect: gravity 1, 2, or 3. I am at a loss to what I should get. Donít want to settle on the 1 because everyone says I'll end up upgrading. So go to a point 2 and then I get the "Dart 3 fork sucks". Its mushy and will flex especially for someone over 180-200lbs.

Then looking at the point3. Except its description says you may get this fork or may may get that fork. You may get elixer 1 or Juicy 3, FSA or SRAM crank, sram or SHIMANO DEORE. That seems kind of lame. I hate buying something that is a grab bag. Plus reviews says the Juicy3 are hard to maintain. And over my budget.

So then I go back to buy the point1 or 2 and then I have $300 or $100 in upgrades that I will learn are important. But there is no stock.

Will I kick myself getting the point1? Will I hate the Dart3? Should I get the point3?
    Last edited by bigboy_29; 04-19-2012 at 07:13 PM.

Newb
    Apr 2012
    Dart 3 is better then a Sr suntour.

mtbr member
    I would tell you to wait a while to see if new stock comes in soon. Instead of a Point 2, for $50 more the Fantom 29, has a better list IMO or the Fantom 29 X-5 is in the same range. Either way I'd tell you to wait a little longer and sign up for the online newsletter, which will tell you when new bikes comes in. Then if nothing new comes in a month or two then pull the trigger on something. That's better than buying something now and always wondering, plus waiting a little longer gives you a chance to save a little more cash.
    The ridiculousness of cycling clothes increase exponentially in relation to the distance from your bicycle.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    There basically is no stock on anything except a point3. Even the Fantoms are out.

On the point3, are all the substitutions basically equivalent? So it really doesnt matter?

The Fantom29 Elite looks nice, but thats 899.

On than equipment list, any reason on the Fantom over the Gravity? They look pretty much the same but bikesdirect said the gravity is a slacked frame and more stable on hills.

Oh, and I am on the mailing list, twitter and facebook.

mtbr member
    The Gravity is a little more slack but just look at the geometry numbers yourself, they're all listed. I don't think that they're all that different so I don't believe there will be huge differences in behavior. I would tend to focus on the parts list, mainly the fork. Yes a Dart 3 is better than the Suntour, but the Tora is better than the Dart. I know a lot of the bikes are sold out at the moment but that's why I suggest waiting. Take that extra time to research components and be sure of what you're gettting, since you're working from a budget (believe me I understand), an extra week might let you get a better deal.
    Also take a look at BikeIsland.com. They sell the slightly scratched bikes either from the factory or returns, and can have some very good deals, although their selection is hit or miss
    The ridiculousness of cycling clothes increase exponentially in relation to the distance from your bicycle.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I would email BD and see if they can tell you what you will end up getting with the .3. I got a 29.3 about 2 months ago. It came with the xc32 fork, elixir 1 brakes, sram x7 all around and fsa crank. I am pretty pleased with it for the most part. The paint job sucks and the saddle is garbage but they have to cut corners somewhere to get that price. I would definitely recommend it if you know what fit and geo you are looking for in a mtb.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I did email them. Their response was that there was a production shortage and substituitons were made. They are all boxed and there are no markings/details as to what is in the box.

I looked at the geo comparison between the gravity and moto. I see slight differences but have no real experience to know what those differences mean. I can't imagine a big difference.

It seems like the best bet is to go cheap and then have some money left over to upgrade the items that I will find out to be important to me. I wont be able to stomach buying outside of my range and then being forced to buy this or that because it is crap (saddle, handlebars, pedals, ....).

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I definitely wouldn't overspend on your first bike. You really can't even know what kind of riding you want to do. Don't stress too much about the components. At 230 pounds and being a beginning rider you are going to break stuff. Get a good all around trail bike like the gravity or fantom and ride the crap out of it In a year or two you will know what components are important to you and can replace or upgrade as you need.

If you are going to do any serious amount of riding, you have to expect to replace stuff throughout the season.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Well they finally restocked a little and I ended up ordering the point2. Should be here next week.

The biggest factor in my decison might sound kind of lame and it goes to show I don't know what I am doing. But I didnt want hydraulic brakes. My reasoning was that I didnt want to have to think about the brakes. If I didn't ride for 2 months, I didnt want to think about leaks/seals/bleeding. I want to be able to jump on it and ride down the hill. So that ruled out everything above the point2.

Also, I got to thinking why I was getting so hung up on the fork. Maybe the Dart3 sucks, but I doubt I'll notice becasue I am just riding trails casually. I am not going to turn into a racer. And I didn't feel like spending $900 to get the recon fork.

If anyone is interested, I'll followup after I get it and assemble it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I marginally prefer cable brakes over hydraulics because of the simple maintenance with cables. Hydraulics have a lot better stopping power. I have somewhat lowend Elixir 3s and they've been fine. I don't know about long term. I'm merely speculating, but I'd assume cables brakes would last longer than hydraulic brakes.

I have a Recon. Air forks are really nice and I would say it's worth it over Dart3. Even if you're not a racer, it's still nice to make the ride as pleasurable as possible. However, if you're on a budget, you're on a budget. Nothing more to say and that's fine.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I think your head is in the right place on this. I've got a friend who is currently going through a katrina size hurricane of indecision on this exact same matter. He comes into my office every day, looks over my bike, and starts asking me the same questions he asked the day before (why did you switch out your fork/wheels/crank?, how much was all that?, would you rather have this or that? etc etc). Then he starts showing me craigslist posts, bikedirect websites, ebay and pointing at specific bikes asking me to tell him if it's "good" or not, basically wanting me to pull the trigger for him.

For reference I have a 2010 specialized rockhopper comp disc, I got it for 350.00 because I knew the LBS owner, and the guy who had purchased it had never picked it up (they needed the space blah blah blah). I rode it for 6 months completely stock, cruised beginner trails slow and easy. The only reason I started changing components was because my bike needed to grow with me (the dart turned into a pogo stick the minute my 260lb butt really started to rail).

You have come to the conclusion that I think he needs to find. If you can keep us posted, I will point him this direction, he really just needs to ride. I keep telling him the best bike to get is the one that gets you on the trail.

mtbr member
    I would definitely like to hear how you liked the bike. I know what it is like to be on a budget. If you don't already know how you should talk to your local bike shop about teaching you how to do maintenance on your bike. It will save you lots of money. If you have an REI near you they also teach classes for free.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    i would get the cheapest one if i hadn't ridden for ten years. they're all good bikes.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Swampy79 View Post
    I think your head is in the right place on this. I've got a friend who is currently going through a katrina size hurricane of indecision on this exact same matter. He comes into my office every day, looks over my bike, and starts asking me the same questions he asked the day before (why did you switch out your fork/wheels/crank?, how much was all that?, would you rather have this or that? etc etc). Then he starts showing me craigslist posts, bikedirect websites, ebay and pointing at specific bikes asking me to tell him if it's "good" or not, basically wanting me to pull the trigger for him.

For reference I have a 2010 specialized rockhopper comp disc, I got it for 350.00 because I knew the LBS owner, and the guy who had purchased it had never picked it up (they needed the space blah blah blah). I rode it for 6 months completely stock, cruised beginner trails slow and easy. The only reason I started changing components was because my bike needed to grow with me (the dart turned into a pogo stick the minute my 260lb butt really started to rail).

You have come to the conclusion that I think he needs to find. If you can keep us posted, I will point him this direction, he really just needs to ride. I keep telling him the best bike to get is the one that gets you on the trail.
    lol, i know whenever i can't pull the trigger, it's because deep inside i don't want to and i never will =)

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    So I received it and assembled it. Needed minor tweaks to the brakes and derailleurs. No biggie and was easily set right. And instead of the Dart3 the bike came with a XC/28/TK fork.

But I did notice a rubbing sound. I thought it was the front brake but even after backing off the tightness of the brake the sound was still there. I then saw that the front brake rotor was rubbing the fork. It is less now than it was only due to the fact that some metal is now gone on the fork. But when I turn or lean the bike it rubs. The hub quick release is really tight and I wouldnt want to go tighter. And I checked many times to make sure that the wheel is centered in the fork and not cock-eyed. I do notice that the wheel/rim moves left when I hit the front brakes hard. I guess that is just slop and weakness on the cheaper fork. What are your thoughts? Do you think bikesdirect should fix this issue and if so what do you think should be done? (See Attached pics)

That issue aside, I like the bike. It looks good being matte black and all. Feels lighter than my kids (age 8) bike. I have only ridden on trails with my kids, have not even gone off pavement yet.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Which Gravity?-photo.jpg  

Which Gravity?-photo1.jpg  

mtbr member
    Absolutely email BD. Send pictures and same description. They should definitely fix! That's not right at all.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    May 2012
    any update on this? I was about to pull the trigger on a point2 before i saw this.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Really try to squeeze in the $800. Gravity. Its reba x9, the fork is street priced at $380 ish.

To any newbs who might not know, better to buy as much bike upfront vs buying upgrade later.

sent from one of my 4 gold leafed iphone 4s's

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    BD and I went traded some emails trying different things. In the end they didnt know why I was having the problem. They said the same combo of wheel/hub/fork has been used before with no problems. They offered me a partial credit, and I took it.

At the end of the day, it works. The rubbing is getting less and less because there is a grove being etched into the fork. I dont see it leading to anything horrible. It should go away pretty soon.

Other than this issue, the bike works as expected. For me, 650 was alreadly out of my budget. So I couldn't justify going even higher.

Don't try this at home.
    My son rides the Basecamp 1. It has been a great bike for him (12yrs old) We just upgraded the fork, tires, and bars. Up until yesterday he rode it bone stock, and we only ride single track trails.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    thanks for info

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    i just ordered the point1. What size frame did you get, and how much does it weigqh? (th oint2) just curious.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Kinda digging this post up from the grave, sorry in advance.

Is it possible to upgrade the rear shock on a Gravity FSX 29 One?

I've been on the fence about buying a new mountain bike for the past 2 months or so, waiting for sales and whatnot since I couldn't justify much more than $400. I finally pulled the trigger on an excellent deal through bikeisland for a Gravity FSX 29 One, the 29er FS 9 speed with XCT 100mm up front. I realize that the rear suspension is going to be bad, but is it possible to upgrade? It looks like the shock is called the EXA Form 382RL and is the one listed on the bikeisland web site made by a company called kindshock

What information would I need, and what hardware and shock information would I need to upgrade this rear shock?

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Have the Gravity .1 and .2 changed in pricing? I see 450 and 650 now, hardly the 100$ difference as people see i.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    If you are referencing my post, I was referring to the Gravity 29 One, which is there 29er full suspension.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast