aan
    mtbr member
    Jul 2011

New question here. Gravity 29ers from BD

I'm looking at the Gravity 29ers on BD right now (specifically the 29point2, fits my price range the best) and was wondering if anyone had any experience with this bike or any of the other Gravity bikes for that matter. I did a search, even extended it to google, and couldn't find a whole lot of info on these bikes.

Main questions are:

1) how's the frame feel on these bikes? they look a lot like the g2 from gary fisher bikes, I've seen this mentioned before on other threads as well. Also, I've read that many of the Motobecane frames are made by kinesis over in Taiwan/China - any idea if this extends to the Gravity bikes as well?

2) Are the rims not double walled? I just noticed this on the specs, I guess I assumed most bikes had double walled rims - BUT this is a budget friendly bike so I can understand that.

3) overall, the specs on the bike look pretty good to me, and, assuming the frame is decent, it seems like a good bike - any opinions?

Thanks for any input you guys can share

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I have the point 3 and i love it. The frame feels stiff and has very clean welds. I have heard the frames are made by kinisis, who makes frames for some of the name brands (Trek, Giant, Gary Fisher to name a few). Rims are the same as the point 3 which are double wall i believe. I love my point 3 the only thing i would do if i could buy again would be to go with a higher end bike like the point 4 or 5 to for a little bit lower weight and some better components. People hate on them online but on the trail everyone is super interested.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Just got a Gravity 29.4 about 2 weeks ago and so far everything has been great. No issues with BD, delivery or the condition of the bike when delivered. Just mount up the rear derailleur, brakes, and handlebar, and wheels, adjust brake calipers, and I was riding. I have swapped out the handlebar for a wider one, the stock bar just felt narrow. Been fine on the trail and I couldn't be happier. I looked at bikes at the LBS (Trek, Specialized, Redline) and for the pricepoint they all had lower spec's. I'm just getting into mtn biking, but this bike rocks so far.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I know it's been a while since OP first made this thread, but is OP still looking?

Anyhow, I have the Point 4, which came in a couple days ago, but I havenít ridden it. The derailleur hanger came really bent. BD quickly sent out a new one, so the customer service has been excellent.

The frame is nice and it came with a "Made in China" sticker, which isn't an issue to me because practically everything is made in China. I didnít notice anything wrong with the frame. The rear spacing is spec'd correctly (I read in another thread that it was off). The welds aren't cosmetically 100% perfect, but still fairly clean and nice. My only gripe is that I can do without the logo on the headtube and less logos overall. However, I think the minimal decals and solid color paint look a lot better than the major namebrand's multiple-colored frame themes.

My Point 4 came with a SLX front derailleur instead of the lower Deore version.

I have the WTB Speed Disc rims. I took out the tube and noticed two chambers of aluminum, so I'm assuming that is double walled?

IMO, I think you ought to save up for a Point 4 or higher spec'd bike. I bought a low-end road bike a year ago and ended up selling it recently because I outgrew it (in terms of performance). I regret not putting a lot of money initially because I ended paying for it through lost resale value. However, if you're just using it for commute, the Point2 will be fine.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I've had my 29.3 for a couple of months now, and love it. I ride it 2-3 times a weeks and it's a beast on the trails.

Welds are solid, paint job is ok but mine had minor flaking at the head tube area, components are fantastic. I would definitely recommend this bike to folks and the paint flaking is a mute point for me anyways since I bought the bike to ride... not to look at.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I just built a 29.4 and being new to mountain bikes I was wondering how much or what the big difference is between the .3, .4, and .5 frames.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    From the looks of it, the frames are exactly the same (aside from color). The price difference comes from the components. The .4 level specs are plenty for a newb.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by 29er noob View Post
    I just built a 29.4 and being new to mountain bikes I was wondering how much or what the big difference is between the .3, .4, and .5 frames.
    The frame are all the same structurally but I do believe the paint job varies slightly. Matt black vs gloss.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Could someone chime in on any differences to consider between the Gravity 29.5 and the Fantom 29 Pro. I want a bike for mixed street/trail use.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I would go with the Fantom 29 pro. (im assuming your talking about the pro not the pro sl) either way you get richey bars, stem, seat post, vs "Black Finish" on the gravity. Also you get Lazar disk rims with either of the Motos vs speed disk. I would say go with either of the Motos for the best deal. Currently Im riding a Gravity 29.3 for Michigan xc riding 3 times a week and its holding up great. I do wish the bike had a reba on it but the tora isnt terrible it just lacks adjustability. hopefully that helps your decision.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    i think he's referring to the pro sl because it's more closely spec'd to the point 5.

i've ridden both frames and i like my point 4 a lot. it feels comfortable. i'm not sure if the moto frame was too small or the cranks were short, but i felt cramped and my leg stroke was short. i feel a lot more powerful on the point 4. both frames that i tried were 15".

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I was referring to the Pro vs the Point5 as they are close in price. They seem to me (rank beginner) to be similar bikes in the same class. So for a beginner, choosing between the two can get a little confusing. Is it a Ford vs Chevy kind of thing?

I see the forks are different...both are Reba, however the Pro has remote lockout and the Point5 seems to lack this feature?

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    apparently, there's two pro versions. that was the confusion.

anyhow, the major difference between the two are the drivetrains. gravity has sram. moto has shimano. depends on which one you like. if you're new, both will be great at that level.

the moto has slightly better brakes (probably just lighter)

i dont think you'll be disappointed either way. i really enjoy my point 4.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Just ordered a .4 to replace a recently damaged 15yo bike carcass, largely due to your feedback (and the price). Thanks!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I have been looking for a new bike, since all I have now is a road bike. I want something that I can ride a lot on the road, but have fun and hit trails with when the opportunity arises. The guys at bikesdirect suggested the 29.3 to me, but I am not ready to spend that much. I really don't plan on riding "hard," I just need something that sits me upright and will be fun in the dirt. Any opinions on the Gravity 29 point 1? It doesn't seem bad at $449 with the suntour xct v3 fork on it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I'd buy a used one at that price point. You'll get better specs. The trails won't be fun if your bike is crappy.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Can anyone verify if the Gravity frame has rack braze-ons. From the site photos, the Gravity 2,3,4 &5 frames seem to have braze-ons near the seat post but don't seem to have any rack mounting holes near where the derailleur mounts.

The Specialized Crosstrail has them, I would like to find a similar bike from BD.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by blackcat54 View Post
    Can anyone verify if the Gravity frame has rack braze-ons. From the site photos, the Gravity 2,3,4 &5 frames seem to have braze-ons near the seat post but don't seem to have any rack mounting holes near where the derailleur mounts.

The Specialized Crosstrail has them, I would like to find a similar bike from BD.
    I'm not familiar with rack holes, but here's a pic of the derailiuer area. It's a pic from when I first built it up. Don't mind the "dent." It's for larger brake rotors.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Gravity 29ers from BD-imgp1641.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Are any of those holes threaded? It looks like the last one near the derailleur hanger might be threaded.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    You are correct. It's threaded on both sides of the frame. I think you'll have to buy a rack made for disc brakes.