mtbr member
    May 2008

Going ot make first MTB purchase. Help!!

After heavily reading fora couple of weeks, I have decided to go with Motobecane. I am looking at the Fantom Trail, or the Fantom 29er. I am 6'3 250lbs with a 33.5 inseam. I am mentioning this as I hope someone can help with size form experience.
    I guess I am mainly asking which bike to buy first. I will be driving on the raod 90+ % of the time, and do not want a road bike. I really want a good workout to lose burn some fat. Any reason to go with one or the other. Also, I know both models have a pro version that everyone seems to like, but given that I will not be a avid cyclist, will this matter to me? I hate to dish out the extra for the Pro, but I guess if I had to I can. Thanks in advance!!!

MTBR Asian Dude
    May 2008
    Between those two, i would DEFINITELY go for the Fantom 29er. The full suspension system on the Trail is really unneccesary if you're going to be on the road for 90% of the time. Also, you're a big guy, and the 29's larger wheels and generally taller standover height and support will benefit you greatly.

GO FOR THE FANTOM 29!!! it's a nice bike by the way

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Thanks for the information. I am really stuck on the 29er vs the standard. Also, the Fantom Trail is only front suspension. Not sure if this changes your opinion at all or not, but Figured I'd mention it. I definitely do not want full suspension, and kind of ruled that our earlier since I will be mostly road riding. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    The Fantom 29 is definitely the better bike for you for the follwoing reasons.

1. 29 inch wheels are better for road use because you can acheive a higher top speed. Additionally it would be easy to put on 700c disc road wheels with slicks if you want some real speed.

2. 29er bikes fit big guys better.

3. The lockout is perfect for road riding.

Do you need the Pro? Probably not. You get slightly better components with the Pro, and it probably is a little lighter. But the Fantom 29 has a great set of components so I don't think you would be unhappy with it at all.
    2012 On One Whippet 650b
    2012 Santa Cruz TRc 650b
    2014 On One Dirty Disco
    2010 Soma Groove
    1987 Haro RS1

mpg
    mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I would recommed the Fantom 29. I have one and am documenting my experience in a blog at: http://motobecanefantom29.blogspot.com/

My inseam is 33.75" and I am 6'0" 175 lbs. I have the 17" frame and it fits well.

For riding roads the Fantom 29er would be good with appropriate tires. I think the Fantom 29er vs the Pro is all you would need.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    So do you think I would take the 19" frame?

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by desant89
    So do you think I would take the 19" frame?
    You said your inseam was 33.5", and the standover height of the 19" is 32.8" so that would give you less than an inch of standover. Its a matter of preference, but I would want to have more standover clearance than that.
    2012 On One Whippet 650b
    2012 Santa Cruz TRc 650b
    2014 On One Dirty Disco
    2010 Soma Groove
    1987 Haro RS1

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Sorry, I was going by the inseam of my pants. I am now reading further, and found the method of putting the book between your legs, and measuring from the floor up to the top of the book. Using that, I am right at 35. Does that mean the 19 is good now? Again, sorry for my ignorance, but I am really new to this. Thanks again.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Get the Fantom 29. I just got 29pro a few weeks ago and its great. Took a bit of time to set up (not really a handyman). But once i set it up, let me tell you, its a nice bike. 29" wheels are cool and its pretty fast.

MPG- i really like you're blog. You actually helped me decide which bike to get.

hippymtnbkr
    Nov 2006
    After heavily reading fora couple of weeks, I have decided to go with Motobecane. I am looking at the Fantom Trail, or the Fantom 29er. I am 6'3 250lbs with a 33.5 inseam. I am mentioning this as I hope someone can help with size form experience.
    I guess I am mainly asking which bike to buy first. I will be driving on the raod 90+ % of the time, and do not want a road bike. I really want a good workout to lose burn some fat. Any reason to go with one or the other. Also, I know both models have a pro version that everyone seems to like, but given that I will not be a avid cyclist, will this matter to me? I hate to dish out the extra for the Pro, but I guess if I had to I can. Thanks in advance!!!
    The Moto I had, had a very short top tube. Which made it very uncomfertable to ride. I'm 6'3" 240, I would shop around a little. Some of the lower end Treks have nice size frames for big guys. Also Gary Fisher Genesis frames have a very roomy cockpit for us fuller figure guys. If your a bigger guy, the 29r are not that good of an option. In making a 29 frame ,all the dementions have to be larger also. Which translate into more weight for a larger frame. I think the 29/26 models are a good choice. Ireally don't like Motobecane, and think there are better deals and service at your local shop. But if you feel the need to buy one. go to a shop and ride some bikes(moto does not let you do this). When you find one that is comfertable, take notes of the geometry. Then compare with the Moto. Don't be swayed away by the highend componants. Deore and Deore LX will get you through. I was looking at the Trek 6000 series. There are some great big guy frames at decent prices. The 6000 sports a full SRAM x-5 Drivetrain, which is better then fair. I've seen these on sale for around $700. Good luck
    Spelling and grammatical errors are beyond my control, it's the way I'm wired.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Sorry, I was going by the inseam of my pants. I am now reading further, and found the method of putting the book between your legs, and measuring from the floor up to the top of the book. Using that, I am right at 35. Does that mean the 19 is good now? Again, sorry for my ignorance, but I am really new to this. Thanks again.
    With an inseam of 35" that gives you a little over 2" of clearance. That sounds about right for a 29er. I disagree with Ty in his assesment that the top tubes are short. This may apply to the 26 inch bikes, but certainly not the 29ers. A 19" frame has a 24" top tube length which is pretty long for a 19" frame. But I think that test riding some bikes at your LBS to get an idea of what frame size feels good is a good idea. The problem is it is hard to find an LBS that has 29ers. And as far as shopping a Trek, about all your get is an overpriced bike that everyone and their brother rides.. I have owned three Treks so I know a a little about this!
    2012 On One Whippet 650b
    2012 Santa Cruz TRc 650b
    2014 On One Dirty Disco
    2010 Soma Groove
    1987 Haro RS1

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by tydydownthehighway
    The Moto I had, had a very short top tube. Which made it very uncomfertable to ride. I'm 6'3" 240, I would shop around a little. Some of the lower end Treks have nice size frames for big guys. Also Gary Fisher Genesis frames have a very roomy cockpit for us fuller figure guys. If your a bigger guy, the 29r are not that good of an option. In making a 29 frame ,all the dementions have to be larger also. Which translate into more weight for a larger frame. I think the 29/26 models are a good choice. Ireally don't like Motobecane, and think there are better deals and service at your local shop. But if you feel the need to buy one. go to a shop and ride some bikes(moto does not let you do this). When you find one that is comfertable, take notes of the geometry. Then compare with the Moto. Don't be swayed away by the highend componants. Deore and Deore LX will get you through. I was looking at the Trek 6000 series. There are some great big guy frames at decent prices. The 6000 sports a full SRAM x-5 Drivetrain, which is better then fair. I've seen these on sale for around $700. Good luck
    This is where it gets extremely tough to be a newbie to the MTB world. From what I have been reading, better parts is one of the main reasons to buy any bike. I have been comparing many of them, and it is true that it would take almost 1500 to buy a bike with comparable parts to the Pro 29er. Now of course I really do not know much about these parts or anything, but it kind of makes sense to me. So you can buy a frame (a good one), and then everything else is just parts it seems. Also most people end up replacing a lot from what I read when the origianl parts are those of a cheaper variety. I have nothing against any brand at all to be honest, and was looking for a Trek to begin with. Why, that is the only name that I always hear. That and Cannondale. So being someone that was never into it, those are the only bikes you hear about. I am wide open to any suggestions whatsoever, and will look at the Trek 6000 series right now. I would love someone to chime in on behalf of the Motobecane side. I know Trek has a big name, but there are several people on this forum who have/had Treks, that also have (or only have) a Motobecane now. If I am spending 700- 800, what is the bike to buy that I will never think of replacing anything? My riding will not change, extremely occasional trail riding (2x a year max!), and mostly road riding for excercise. Road bikes are out for me. Thanks again!

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    When I bought my Fantom 29er Pro, I weighed 240. I'm 6'4", with a 36" inseam on my pants.

I'm down to 215 now, and dropping... so cycling does help in that regard. I also use my (road) bike to run errands and visit friends/family. Saves on the wallet these days...

I got the 21" IIRC, and that is a good size for me - the standover height is fine. I'm sure it would be too large for you.

I love my Fantom Pro and I believe the 29er is great for us tall guys. For road use, it is pretty heavy though. If you haven't done so already, visit your LBS and test ride some roadies. For the money you are considering on the Moto 29er, you could get a road rocket. For example, my C'dale Synapse has a relaxed geometry that doesn't make me feel like I'm doing yoga - yet is very fast down the road. I still get a great workout, I just go further doing it. Just a point to ponder...

I absolutely love both bikes - in their element they work great for me. I'm very fortunate to have trails and decent road riding right where I live, along with plenty of storage space for the growing herd.

Best of luck with your purchase.

Fullmetal

"Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience" Unknown

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Fullmetal, what does 21" IIRC mean? Is that the roda bike, or is that the size you got on the Fantom 29er? You think I need a 19"?

Quote Originally Posted by fullmetal
    When I bought my Fantom 29er Pro, I weighed 240. I'm 6'4", with a 36" inseam on my pants.

I'm down to 215 now, and dropping... so cycling does help in that regard. I also use my (road) bike to run errands and visit friends/family. Saves on the wallet these days...

I got the 21" IIRC, and that is a good size for me - the standover height is fine. I'm sure it would be too large for you.

I love my Fantom Pro and I believe the 29er is great for us tall guys. For road use, it is pretty heavy though. If you haven't done so already, visit your LBS and test ride some roadies. For the money you are considering on the Moto 29er, you could get a road rocket. For example, my C'dale Synapse has a relaxed geometry that doesn't make me feel like I'm doing yoga - yet is very fast down the road. I still get a great workout, I just go further doing it. Just a point to ponder...

I absolutely love both bikes - in their element they work great for me. I'm very fortunate to have trails and decent road riding right where I live, along with plenty of storage space for the growing herd.

Best of luck with your purchase.

Fullmetal

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Well, looks like the Fantom 29, and 29 pro are sold out nationwide...I spoke to omeone at a Bike's direct store. He was telling me that the Windsor Cliff is basically the same thing, but uses equal quality SRAM parts instead of Shimano. Did anyone compare the Fantom Pro 29, and the Windsor Cliff Pro 29? Is the Windsor out of the question? This might force me back to a regualr 26". Not saying that is a bad thing, I honestly have no clue. Very frustrating trying to buy a MTB that has a good deal.....

mpg
    mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I compared the Fantom 29 and the Windsor Comp in my blog. See :
    http://motobecanefantom29.blogspot.c...sor-cliff.html

They are comparable. So I would suspect the two Pro's are comparable.

mpg
    mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I am glad you found my blog useful.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I am trying to break down the pro models myself now. I do see how close they were, but I want to compare the Pro's now. Might have a larger or smaller gap....

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Fullmetal, what does 21" IIRC mean? Is that the roda bike, or is that the size you got on the Fantom 29er? You think I need a 19"?
    Sorry, I'm lazy.

IIRC = shorthand for "If I remember correctly"

I imagine a 19" is close, but you should check your standover height using the book between your legs trick. You should have a couple of inches between the top tube and your "boys".

Best of luck
    Fullmetal
    "Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience" Unknown

Frt Range, CO
    ...I am 6'3 250lbs with a 33.5 inseam. I am mentioning this as I hope someone can help with size form experience. .. I hate to dish out the extra for the Pro, but I guess if I had to I can. Thanks in advance!!!
    I purchased the 19" version, I am about the same size as you. I went the Pro for the Tora Solo Air fork. At 250lbs, there's not any mechanical spring fork that works for me. Even when I drop to 220lbs I'll still need to air shock. Mechanical spring shocks seem to peter out over 200lbs. Tora 318 Solo Air is a $380 fork, if you ride at all, you'll need to buy it. It's the cheapest fork I can find for my fat a$$.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Well, I actually spoke to Pursuiter last night. Great guy. After talking to him I ordered my Fantom Pro 29er last night. We have about the same dimensions so the 19" that DB does have in stock should be ok. Also, it appears as though only the seat neck is 2" taller with the 21" frame. I guess I will know once I get on it. Thanks again to everyone! I will follow up once it arrives....

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Well, I actually spoke to Pursuiter last night. Great guy. After talking to him I ordered my Fantom Pro 29er last night. We have about the same dimensions so the 19" that DB does have in stock should be ok. Also, it appears as though only the seat neck is 2" taller with the 21" frame. I guess I will know once I get on it. Thanks again to everyone! I will follow up once it arrives....
    Congrats on your new ride-to-be!
    For what it's worth, the top tube is also 1.1" longer on the 21". However, after looking back over your msg's, it looks like you bought the right size. There is also a lot of adjustment that can be made with the seatpost and seat. Also, you can move the handlebar stem up and down on the neck using the spacers provided. Should it be necessary, a setback seatpost and/or a different stem can provide quite a bit of adjustment. I have two spacers above my stem to get the handlebars down where I like them.

Here's a decent site for adjusting the bike to fit you. I'm a novice and it worked for me:
    http://www.jimlangley.net/crank/bikefit.html

Don't underestimate the necessity of getting the fit right. I quickly feel knee pain if my seat is not set right...

I had to buy a 350mm seatpost to replace to 250mm (wookie!), but I got a decent one at the LBS for $20.

After you get your new steed assembled and shifting smoothly, you may want to get a helper to assist you in dialing in the fit.

Enjoy the ride,
    Fullmetal

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Thanks Fullmetal. That looks like a great place for me to go whern I get it. I am extrmely new to this. Nice to see all of the available adjustment options also as I really wanted this bike, and they were out of the 21" version. I will get it together when it comes (looks like possibly Wednesday), and then post my initial thoughts. Just getting on any bike to begin with is going to be weird at first....Thanks again everyone for posting!