mtbr member
    Nov 2009

Giant trance x3 vs. Fantom elite DS

I use to ride mountain bike back in late 80's "specialized"and haven't rode seriously in many years and things have change alot since then.My question is I'm trying to decide which bike the Giant trance x3 2009 or Fantom elite DS maybe Fantom team ds. If I was to buy Fantom elite DS or team which size? yesterday I rode giant trance x3 large and felt nice and medium felt cramped. I'm 5' 10" 30" insteam. The price between the two is difference of 100 dollars. I know this motobecane thread but I think most you have rode many bikes.

AZ
    banned
    Giant Maestro suspension IMHO is the clear winner , but I ride one so take it FWIW.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I haven't ridden the Giant before but have been completely happy with my Motobecane. My dual suspension frame was my second bike from them. The first one I bought, I was skeptical of quality due to the price but now I am 100% confident that they can handle what I dish out. FWIW, I had saved for a Fantom Team DS and then found a Fantom Pro DS on eBay. It was fine as stock except the tires would need changed to match the terrain and the foam grips weren't that great. Most of the other stuff I changed out was just because I had the cash to spend already and I didn't get a lot of performance gains on the dollar out of the upgrades. RIght now I have $1700 into it and don't plan on replacing anything else. Here is the breakdown:

bars - Ritchey WCS in gloss white to reduce weight and match better

stem - Thomson X4 90mm x10 degree rise to make the bike a bit quicker handling

cranks - Race Face Deus with X-type bb to reduce weight, increase stiffness, improve shifts

pedals - XTR M970 to keep weight down as compared to XT and keep with the XTR stuff

seat post - Crank Brothers Joplin adjustable with remote lever to make the bike more usable without interrupting riding for steep ascents or descents and without having to remove your hands from the bars

saddle - Selle Italia Max Flite Gel Flow to loose weight, increase comfort and match better

tires - Panaracer Fire XC Pro in 166 tpi with red side walls just cause I like them the best

grips - Lizard Skins Peaty lock on with red clamps for better feel, grip, and control

added a bottle cage and a computer.