mtbr member
    Nov 2012

which FS Motobecane to go for? (under $2,000)

Hi Guys, which FS Motobecane to go for with a budget not exceeding the $2,100?
    Weight is not a big concern... I need a quality bike !

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Nakkoush View Post
    Hi Guys, which FS Motobecane to go for with a budget not exceeding the $2,100?
    Weight is not a big concern... I need a quality bike !
    The Fantom 29 FS XTR 30 Speed is on sale right now for $1,995. You can't get much better components than that setup.

I can't post a link to the "secret sale" because I don't have enough post on here yet.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by hidperf View Post
    The Fantom 29 FS XTR 30 Speed is on sale right now for $1,995. You can't get much better components than that setup.

I can't post a link to the "secret sale" because I don't have enough post on here yet.
    that's not fair could you send it through PM?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    that's not fair could you send it through PM?
    Nope

But if you add "_secret" before the htm on the regular link, it should come up.

I'm really loving the specs on this bike BTW. I've talked myself out of buying it at least a dozen times since the sale came out. I'm in the market for a MTB and I've had great luck with my Motobecane road bike I bought in March. But I'm really wanting to take one for a spin on the trails before I drop the cash.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Nope

But if you add "_secret" before the htm on the regular link, it should come up.

I'm really loving the specs on this bike BTW. I've talked myself out of buying it at least a dozen times since the sale came out. I'm in the market for a MTB and I've had great luck with my Motobecane road bike I bought in March. But I'm really wanting to take one for a spin on the trails before I drop the cash.
    Tried the _secret before the htm and didn't work it directs me to there main page...
    I hope the deal is not over!!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Tried the _secret before the htm and didn't work it directs me to there main page...
    I hope the deal is not over!!!
    w
    w
    w
    bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/fantom_29_4x4_xtr30_secret
    .htm

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    w
    w
    w
    bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/fantom_29_4x4_xtr30_secret
    .htm
    much appreciated

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Is the fantom 29 xtr 30 speed the top notch FS bike (best available FS bike) at BD?
    Is there any carbon fiber 29er FS XTR bike from BD?

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    another question: is it possible to lock (disable) the rear suspension in a FS bike specially for the above mentioned bike...? thx

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Is the fantom 29 xtr 30 speed the top notch FS bike (best available FS bike) at BD?
    Is there any carbon fiber 29er FS XTR bike from BD?
    As far as I know, this is the top dog of the FS Motobecane line. I haven't seen any carbon FS bikes, only hard tails.

another question: is it possible to lock (disable) the rear suspension in a FS bike specially for the above mentioned bike...? thx
    This bike uses the Rock Shox Monarch RT3 rear shock, which has 3 position adjustment for shock response. I don't think you can completely "lock it out" but it does have some awesome features that help prevent the bobbing effect.

Also, since I can't reply to PM's yet, if you want to sign up for the bikes direct deals, you have to join their yahoo group. I just signed up recently so I can't say how often or what kind of deals they usually offer.
    Last edited by hidperf; 12-01-2012 at 07:48 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    My budget isn't as high as the OP.

Anyone have thoughts on the Motobecane 2013 Fantom Comp DS??

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by rchan View Post
    My budget isn't as high as the OP.

Anyone have thoughts on the Motobecane 2013 Fantom Comp DS??
    Mine has just arrived and it seems to be a nice bargain. The rear shock is a Monarch RL instead of the advertised Aria. I will probably swop the wheels for the Cross rides that I have on my other bike, oh and the jury is still out on the Avid brakes although an upgrade if these are rubbish is not too much.

Regards

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by howie.dean View Post
    Mine has just arrived and it seems to be a nice bargain. The rear shock is a Monarch RL instead of the advertised Aria. I will probably swop the wheels for the Cross rides that I have on my other bike, oh and the jury is still out on the Avid brakes although an upgrade if these are rubbish is not too much.

Regards
    Have you had much ride time on yours yet? What's your thoughts on pedal bob, ride quality, handling, components, etc?

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    My question would be the quality of the frame since that is the questionable aspect of this brand.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Hi,
    I've had a few rides on the bike now and I'm really impressed with it to be honest.
    I like that the suspension can be locked out for climbing. The handling is not too bad and the components are fantastic for the price. Oh and I swopped the wheels for no other reason in that I like my Crossrides.

I'm happy with the frame, yes it is generic (the rear triangle has brake bosses) however for me it is a great deal. I needed a FS bike but didn't want to spend any more than $1100. If you don't care about branding then this is a great bike.

Regards,

H

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by mmccurdy View Post
    My question would be the quality of the frame since that is the questionable aspect of this brand.
    See my comment above. Other than the rear triangle brake bosses, the rest of the frame has nice welds on the joints and feels solid.

Howie

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Thanks for the info. I only wish I could ride one. I see that BikesDirect is here in my town of Dallas, but that likely means nothing.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Is the fantom 29 xtr 30 speed the top notch FS bike (best available FS bike) at BD? Is there any carbon fiber 29er FS XTR bike from BD?
    It looks like BD has added a line of Carbon 29ers

Shimano XTR DynaSYS 3x10 Speed Carbon 29er 2013 Windsor $1999

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by FlatSix911 View Post
    It looks like BD has added a line of Carbon 29ers

Shimano XTR DynaSYS 3x10 Speed Carbon 29er 2013 Windsor $1999
    They've had the carbon 29ers for a while, just no carbon full suspension 29ers.

But those Windsors come VERY well equipped. I still wish I knew someone in my area that had one I could test drive.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    They've had the carbon 29ers for a while, just no carbon full suspension 29ers.

But those Windsors come VERY well equipped. I still wish I knew someone in my area that had one I could test drive.
    Got it ... you are lookng for full suspension.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Re: which FS Motobecane to go for? (under $2,000)

The only difference between the low middle end parts and the high end parts is weight. So "good" is lighter. Exception to this is suspension. Money buys performance and weight hre

sent from one of my 4 gold leafed iphone4s's

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by bob13bob View Post
    sent from one of my 4 gold leafed iphone4s's
    WTF