mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Frame size Fantom 29 FS?

Been test riding bikes and a bit nervous about ordering a bike I can't first test ride.

Given that anyone have some guidance on these full suspension bikes on what size I should get? I am 5' 8.5" and have 31.5" inseam.

I really liked the geometry of the Giant Anthem X 29er, but not the price...

Any bike similar to the Motobecane Fantom anyone can recommend to test ride to compare it to? Mainly for geo and sizing testing for my body.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I have a similar concern, and I'm just a small bit larger (5' 9.75" and 32" inseam.) I'm prepared to have a bike with less clearance than I am used to, but before I hit the sell button I want to know that even the 17.5" (which is what I am planning) isn't going to be too big for me.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Same concern as well! 6 ft. and 30" inseam (I feel like a proportional freak compared to you two). Would appreciate any information anyone has to contribute.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Haha no worries Lambshank. Make sure you aren't "shy" when putting a book between your legs to measure your inseam. Don't use pant inseam sizing. Makes a difference even if a "tad" uncomfortable.

Nice fit calculator at Competitive Cyclist: Fit Calculator - Competitive Cyclist

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Thanks for your support Hiway. I will come out from the shadows now. I assume when you mention "uncomfortable" and "shy" that u mean I measure right up next to my "crotch" and "nether-regions" ?

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Like the bike fit calculator says. And yep jam it up there to the bone.

mtbr member
    FWIW...I am 5' 10.5". Around 31.5 inseam. I recently purchased 17.5 Gravity Pt 5 from BD. I feel like it is the perfect size. My buddy is 6', he purchased the 19 and fits well. He's not sure that 17.5 wouldn't have been fine.

diy-er
    May 2012

what's the answer?

Quote Originally Posted by Hiway View Post
    Been test riding bikes and a bit nervous about ordering a bike I can't first test ride.

Given that anyone have some guidance on these full suspension bikes on what size I should get? I am 5' 8.5" and have 31.5" inseam.

I really liked the geometry of the Giant Anthem X 29er, but not the price...

Any bike similar to the Motobecane Fantom anyone can recommend to test ride to compare it to? Mainly for geo and sizing testing for my body.
    Did you every get an answer to your question? I'm stuck between sizes also and I'm the same size as you. What are you going to go with? the 42cm or the 47cm?

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    No, figured the safer bet was with the Giant Anthem X and will just upgrade as parts break. Really happy with the Giant's geo and having fun with it.

diy-er
    May 2012
    No, figured the safer bet was with the Giant Anthem X and will just upgrade as parts break. Really happy with the Giant's geo and having fun with it.
    Yes, definitely safer. I'm constantly flip-flopping between ordering a Motobecane or going with the best fitting bike I can find around here. -tough decision since I'll be paying more for a bike with comparably lower (but good) end components. Also, I'm not impressed with the LBS's around here.

diy-er
    May 2012
    Oh, I forgot to add: congratulations on your purchase. I bet it's great having the purchasing decision behind you and to be on a ride you enjoy now.