Former Bike Wrench

Fork travel for the Windsor 29ers

OK, so the Windsor Cliff 29ers are basically Fuji Tahoe 29ers and are designed around a 80mm travel fork. However, mine came with the Tora in the 100mm setting and I've heard from a few others that their Windsors have also come this way. So I've been riding the bike with the fork in the 100mm setting and have been very pleased. But, being new to 29er geometry, I really can only compare to 26ers. I measured out the headtube angle and found it to be 70.5 (with 25mm sag) in the 100mm setting. However, looking at the geometry of most other 29ers, it appears that a steeper headtube angle is desirable. So I decided to set my Tora to the 80mm setting (the needed spacer was included) which only took about 10 minutes and some minor disassembly of the fork.

I took a nice long three hour ride this morning on my normal trails and the 80mm setting is the way to go. The bike climbed better due to a slightly steeper headtube angle (less front wheel wander). But it seemed to really shine in the tight singletrack as low speed wheel flop was greatly reduced. I did not feel like there was less travel and descending still was great without feeling like bike was "twitchy" in any way.

One note, I needed to run about 15 extra PSI in the fork to get the desired 25% sag in the 80mm setting.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    How do you tell which setting it's in, and how do you change it?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    While not a guaranteed way, it seems for this fork, you can measure the exposed stanchion with the fork topped out. There's about an extra 15mm addded to the travel: 80mm should measure about 95mm, and 100mm is about 115mm. I was going to change my Fantom 29 Pro to 100, but 80 feels better for a 29r. On the Tora 318, you have to do some minor disassembly to the left leg and add/remove a spacer.

P