mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Fly Ti stand over help

Hello all, long time lurker looking for some help.

I was planing to buy a fly ti but i'm unsure of the sizing for me. the issue that has me thrown is bikesdirect states to add .75 in to stand over when sizing.

i'm 6'2', 185lbs with 33.5 (little under) inseam.

my last mtb was a 21.5in 1996 speacialized s-works. i figured i'd get a 22in fly ti. the stand over for the 22in is 33.5, and it states measured at the min height (which i don't know what that means). then they state to add .75in, this all has me a bit wary.

with the stand over issue alone i was thinking a 20in to be safe, but of course they are gone so i thought i would ask here to make sure i'm under standing the sizing right.

any help?

thanks in advance

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Theres a few things that might help.

First they say to add the 0.75 to the standover because the geometry measurements were done on the 2008 using an 80mm fork. The 2009 bike has a 100mm fork which makes it sit higher, that is why they have you add the 0.75.

Minimum height means they measure the standover at the lowest point on the top tube, which would be right where it meets the seat tube. Most manufacturers do not measure here because you can't actually stand there anyways because the saddle would poking you in the back.

With a 33.5" inseam you should stay away from the 22", the standover would be higher than your inseam and you would be in trouble! You should get the 20" and if the top tube is too short for you (the Fly Ti has a short top tube for its size) you could get a longer stem. I think the Fly Ti is a really nice bike, but I think the geometry is a little screwy, mainly the short top tube. I also wonder if they adjusted the head angle of the frame to compensate for the 100mm fork, since the bike was originally designed with an 80mm fork. If they did not adjust it, then the head angle will be slacker than what they list in the geometry.

Never buy a bike that doesn't fit right just because the price is right. If the 20" is sold out, do not get another size just because it happens to be in stock. A cheap bike that fits will be better than the best bike that doesn't.
    2012 On One Whippet 650b
    2012 Santa Cruz TRc 650b
    2014 On One Dirty Disco
    2010 Soma Groove
    1987 Haro RS1

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hershal
    Hello all, long time lurker looking for some help.

I was planing to buy a fly ti but i'm unsure of the sizing for me. the issue that has me thrown is bikesdirect states to add .75 in to stand over when sizing.

i'm 6'2', 185lbs with 33.5 (little under) inseam.

my last mtb was a 21.5in 1996 speacialized s-works. i figured i'd get a 22in fly ti. the stand over for the 22in is 33.5, and it states measured at the min height (which i don't know what that means). then they state to add .75in, this all has me a bit wary.

with the stand over issue alone i was thinking a 20in to be safe, but of course they are gone so i thought i would ask here to make sure i'm under standing the sizing right.

any help?

thanks in advance
    Top tube length is by far the most important measurement. Did you measure standover in shoes?

As far as making it fit - AFAIK you can convert SID to 80mm travel. You can also swap the FSA headset to a Crank Brothers - that will drop another 5mm (lower stack height). It will steepen the head angle by more then 1 degree though, but it is not too steep to start with.