mtbr member

Fly Ti 29er Sizing

I'm torn between a 2013 Specialized Stumpy 29er and the Fly Ti 29er. I used to have a 2010 Stumpy, which frame wise, is exactly the same as the 2013. I'm between 6'1" and 6'2" 175 lbs and I git PERFECTLY on my old XL (21") Stumpy... but while reading reviews on this board and elsewhere about the Fly Ti, it seems a lot of people claim that these frames have a long reach and run a bit large. I've review the geometry between the two bikes, and it seems that the Fly has a slightly longer (by 3mm) horizontal TT length, and 21mm longer wheelbase. Standover height is actually quite a bit shorter on the Fly by roughly 50mm.

My question is, given that I was completely satisfied with the fit of the Stumpy, but would rather have a Ti bike, is it safe to assume that I'd be just fine on a 21" Fly?

mtbr member
    Eh, nevermind... I ended up buying the 21".

mtbr member
    It is a little long. I too had an XL Stumpjumper at one point.

For the next time this comes up, the Fly is a ringer for the Trek Superfly's geometry ;-)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TXNavy View Post
    It is a little long. I too had an XL Stumpjumper at one point.

For the next time this comes up, the Fly is a ringer for the Trek Superfly's geometry ;-)
    Good to know. I'll report back when I get it on Wednesday.

mtbr member
    I'm pretty confident you'll love it. My SJ was still my other bike when I got mine and as good as a 5" 26er can be, and I instantly felt more at home on the Fly. Even on sketchy terrain.

FWIW I am about your size at 6'2", 180 lbs and a 34" inseam and I swapped to a shorter stem...like 70 or 90mm, but with wide bars. Made up for the long TT and slack HT quite a bit.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    I just got it all assembled. Swapped my Thomson post on (still waiting for the clamp I ordered to show up) and put on my 90mm Thomson X4. As it sits now, I fit pretty close to how I fit on the Stumpjumper. I'd say this bike is a hair bigger, but it's hard to tell much of a difference in the fit. The bars are actually 660mm as opposed to the listed 600mm on Ritchey's site. For me, I don't need much wider with the fit I have.