Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Rollin 29s

FLY Ti 29er frame crack

I've had my bike since late '09, and it has been a great bike.

I noticed a creaking noise coming from my bike lately - which I thought was the seat post, but this morning found this.

I have not heard of any other failures of these frames.

The seat post is 4.5" - 5" into the frame. Anodizing is worn off because I used carbon paste to stop creaking and previously pushed the post down for long descents.

I weigh 210 lbs currently.

I contacted BD this morning so we will see how this goes.
    Whoever invented the bicycle deserves the thanks of humanity.
    - Lord Charles Beresford

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    That is a major bummer, that bike looks like a sweet rig.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Wow - I have the exact same frame - gonna have to keep an eye on it now! I wonder if you have any warranty options.

Rollin 29s
    Frame has lifetime warranty against defects. I'm sending BD more detailed photos of the seat post next to the seat tube to show how far it was inserted, and some more photos detailng the crack and of the whole bike.

They have been very responsive via email, and the crack just happened on this morning's ride.
    - Lord Charles Beresford

newfydog
    May 2009
    I had a prototype with a gusset at the head tube/downtube connection. The frame cracked at the edge of the gusset, and they replaced it with the production model, with an improved gussetless design.

They stripped a bike to send me the new frame.

I hope we don't see any more of those. My Moongoose Ti frame has been going for 15 years.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Is that full photo of the bike your regular seat height? That looks like an awful lot of seatpost extended out there.

Rollin 29s
    Yes, that is my regular seat height. It is a lot of extended post, but there is 4.5 to 5" of post in the frame (it goes to the center of the green/ yellow/ white Titanium sticker on the frame). There's a photo of the post held up in front of the seat tube below. The grey grease shows where it was inside the frame.

I'm 6'4" with longer legs than torso proportionally, so that is the best fit for me. However, I'm going to buy a longer Thomson post for the new frame. Aside from the extra length, Thomson makes a stronger, more rigid (thicker walled tubing) seat post than the stock Ritchey, and it will do a better job of supporting the seat tube.

Yes, they said that based on the photos they will warranty the frame! It's disassembled, boxed and ready to ship in the morning.

One thing to note for those of you who have this bike; I personally know someone who has stripped all of the Motobecane decals off of this bike because they liked the stealth Ti look, and I remember seeing quite a few people on MTBR in the past explaining how they did this. This will void the warranty. I never considered doing this - at least not very seriously, but now I am very glad I didn't.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails FLY Ti 29er frame crack-post-frame.jpg  

Last edited by isleblue65; 07-20-2012 at 12:00 AM. Reason: Adding photo
    - Lord Charles Beresford

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Yeah, a longer Thomson sounds like a good plan for the new frame. With that much exposed any extra in the seat post would be nice insurance.

Did they actually tell you they would not warranty the frame if the decals were removed? If so was it Matt from BD? I'm getting ready to remove mine and that sounds ridiculous. If that's the case I'm going to contact them before doing it and confirm this policy.

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jettore View Post
    Yeah, a longer Thomson sounds like a good plan for the new frame. With that much exposed any extra in the seat post would be nice insurance.

Did they actually tell you they would not warranty the frame if the decals were removed? If so was it Matt from BD? I'm getting ready to remove mine and that sounds ridiculous. If that's the case I'm going to contact them before doing it and confirm this policy.

It has been posted here before and it is not uncommon for a company to not warranty frames with decals or finishes removed.

Rollin 29s
    I am working with Matt, but he didn't tell me this. Someone here on the forum previously as AZ said was told this and reported it, or they were rejected for warranty because of it. I would call and confirm.
    - Lord Charles Beresford

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    What's the reasoning? Possible damage to metal from substance used to remove the decals? Or just being jerks for removing their brand name?

I'm sending them an email, will post the response.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Actually, just found the policy on the Motobecane website and it's true.

WARRANTY DETAILS

This warranty is void in its entirety by any modification of the frame, fork, components, removal of decals or any signs of bending/denting thereof. Bent or dented components, frame or fork would indicate abuse beyond the design of the bicycle

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jettore View Post
    What's the reasoning? Possible damage to metal from substance used to remove the decals? Or just being jerks for removing their brand name?

I'm sending them an email, will post the response.

One possible reason is that these are catalog frames, it could be difficult to confirm its origins without deals or other finishes.

Rollin 29s
    Mike somewhat addresses the "why" question in this thread:

Motobecane warranty policy?
    - Lord Charles Beresford

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    tube failure?

Rollin 29s
    Frame arrived on Tuesday and first ride will be tomorrow. Geometry is slightly different from 3 years ago model. Chainstay is wider where it comes out from the bottom bracket. My inside chain guide ring scraped on the new frame but easily cleared on the old one. Had to turn down nearly 1/4" off the outside of the guide to get it to clear. Also, cable guides are in slightly different spots. Not a big deal, just observations.

Everything looks good, and Bikes Direct gave me great service!
    - Lord Charles Beresford

mtbr member
    Jan 2011

Bonking ... not feelin' well I just cracked my 2011 Ti motobecane frame in the idential location.

I am 6'-3" 210 lbs. I am amazed that it is the same failure point. I have approximately 10K miles 90% off road on this frame. I didn't notice it until I was adjusting my seat position and looked down.

I have contacted both BD and Motobecane. Only BD has so far responded. I am trying to locate my receipt.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails FLY Ti 29er frame crack-non-drive-side-crack.jpg  

FLY Ti 29er frame crack-bottom-view-crack.jpg  

FLY Ti 29er frame crack-drive-side-crack.jpg  

FLY Ti 29er frame crack-full-right-side-up.jpg  

FLY Ti 29er frame crack-loaded-seat-post-length-view.jpg  

Rollin 29s
    Quote Originally Posted by forrestmiller View Post
    I am 6'-3" 210 lbs. I am amazed that it is the same failure point. I have approximately 10K miles 90% off road on this frame. I didn't notice it until I was adjusting my seat position and looked down.

I have contacted both BD and Motobecane. Only BD has so far responded. I am trying to locate my receipt.
    That's a bummer! I think you will be OK as long as your seat post was inserted at or deeper than the minimum insertion point, and I can see that you still have the decals on the bike, etc. FYI, Bikes Direct is the company that owns the Motobecane brand - so they are one and the same. Be prepared to take photos of the seat post and several of the frame (location of the crack as well as the whole frame). They will likely ask you to strip down the bike to the frame, ship back the frame and then they will inspect it and send you a replacement.

My replacement frame is still good, but I've only put a few thousand miles on it. It looks like an identical design to the old frame, so I would not be surprised at all if it eventually cracks as my old frame did.

One thing I did to reinforce the frame is to replace the Ritchey post with a Thomson that is longer. Thomson tubing is thicker on the sides so that it resists flexing; therefore supporting the seat tube where it goes in. It feels much stiffer while riding than the Ritchey post. I also installed a beefier seat post clamp which grabs more of the seat tube above the top tube.

My view of this bike now with my frame crack experience, and now yours is less positive than it was when I initially purchased it, and I would probably not purchase another one unless design changes were made. The bike is also extremely creaky, clicky and squeaky, which no amount of lubrication, tightening of parts or carbon paste on the seat post fixes. The old frame had the same issues. I have learned to live with it, but it is annoying.
    - Lord Charles Beresford

mtbr member
    May 2007
    You get what you pay for

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    nice!

Rollin 29s
    Quote Originally Posted by forrestmiller View Post
    nice!
    Did you get any resolution with BD on your frame crack?
    - Lord Charles Beresford

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Lickety Split View Post
    You get what you pay for
    Because no one has cracked a $4k+ brand name frame before, right?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ducatisteve View Post
    Because no one has cracked a $4k+ brand name frame before, right?
    And he found the only info by what I can see on the Interwebz for a ti Moto frame failure. Not that there aren't loads of other posts by owners saying how pleased they are with their bikes, even years after purchase.

My Brain Hurts!
    Curious on the status of the two bikes with cracked frames..how they are holding up etc...

Also, I have to comment that that is a lot of exposed seat post! Lots of force being exuded against the frame. Along with the thicker and longer seat posts, how about a larger frame? Larger size frame should mean less exposed seat post and = less torque on the frame
    Remember when we were kids and our Mom's said we could not play in the mud? I'm making up for it now!!

Rollin 29s
    Quote Originally Posted by ProfGumby View Post
    Curious on the status of the two bikes with cracked frames..how they are holding up etc...

Also, I have to comment that that is a lot of exposed seat post! Lots of force being exuded against the frame. Along with the thicker and longer seat posts, how about a larger frame? Larger size frame should mean less exposed seat post and = less torque on the frame
    Mine is holding up fine. The creaking is driving me crazy from the seatpost and the cranks, but after 4 years of fighting with it and trying every solution under the sun, I'm convinced that this is an artifact of Titanium with dissimilar metal component interaction. I've fought it since the beginning with my first Fly Ti frame back in 2009 (the one that cracked), and it continues with this new frame. The best solution is carbon paste on the seat post, and this is good for about 3 rides before the creaking begins again.

This is the last Ti bike I will own mainly because of the creaking and frame flex (another contributor to creaking, especially in the bottom bracket and cranks).

I am 6'4" and own the largest size Fly Ti 29 frame that Bikes Direct sells. That seat position is the one that is natural for me, and allows me to fully extend my legs. My Thompson post is in past where the top tube is welded into the seat tube. I don't know what else I can do.
    - Lord Charles Beresford

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast