Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by isleblue65 View Post
    Mine is holding up fine. The creaking is driving me crazy from the seatpost and the cranks, but after 4 years of fighting with it and trying every solution under the sun, I'm convinced that this is an artifact of Titanium with dissimilar metal component interaction. I've fought it since the beginning with my first Fly Ti frame back in 2009 (the one that cracked), and it continues with this new frame. The best solution is carbon paste on the seat post, and this is good for about 3 rides before the creaking begins again.

This is the last Ti bike I will own mainly because of the creaking and frame flex (another contributor to creaking, especially in the bottom bracket and cranks).

I am 6'4" and own the largest size Fly Ti 29 frame that Bikes Direct sells. That seat position is the one that is natural for me, and allows me to fully extend my legs. My Thompson post is in past where the top tube is welded into the seat tube. I don't know what else I can do.
    I used to have a Thomson post in my Fly Ti 29er, as well as a Cane Creek Thudbuster (both Aluminum posts) and they both slipped and made a bunch of noise no matter what I did. I bought a J&L titanium seatpost off eBay and a Woodman Death Grip clamp. The post NEVER makes a noise and it NEVER slips. I just put a very, very light layer of grease on the inside of the frame tube and I made a mark with a sharpie to monitor the height of the post. In god knows how many months, it hasn't moved even a MM. It's a $120 seatpost, but it looks really nice on the bike and if you have more post than me exposed, you might even notice a little better ride. Mine is a little more flexy than the Thomson, but not a huge difference. Just FYI.

Rollin 29s
    Quote Originally Posted by allthatisman View Post
    I used to have a Thomson post in my Fly Ti 29er, as well as a Cane Creek Thudbuster (both Aluminum posts) and they both slipped and made a bunch of noise no matter what I did. I bought a J&L titanium seatpost off eBay and a Woodman Death Grip clamp. The post NEVER makes a noise and it NEVER slips. I just put a very, very light layer of grease on the inside of the frame tube and I made a mark with a sharpie to monitor the height of the post. In god knows how many months, it hasn't moved even a MM. It's a $120 seatpost, but it looks really nice on the bike and if you have more post than me exposed, you might even notice a little better ride. Mine is a little more flexy than the Thomson, but not a huge difference. Just FYI.
    Thanks! I'll check this out. I've only tried 2 seat posts: the original Ritchey and this Thomson. What do you weigh? This would be my only concern with an Ebay Ti post, because I'm 220lbs.
    Whoever invented the bicycle deserves the thanks of humanity.
    - Lord Charles Beresford

mtbr member
    Thanks! I'll check this out. I've only tried 2 seat posts: the original Ritchey and this Thomson. What do you weigh? This would be my only concern with an Ebay Ti post, because I'm 220lbs.
    I've had the post for about 8 months now I think... Maybe longer... I weigh anywhere from 180-190 without gear (depending on my beer consumption...) the post hasn't given me any pause as to the quality. It doesn't have much bling factor aside from the fact that its titanium... Unbranded and plain, but I kind of prefer that since I removed all but the motobecane decal on the bike. The only real detractor is the price... But it's still far cheaper than a lynsky or eriksen... Although they do look nice... But it's a freaking seat post, lol.

Rollin 29s
    I've had the post for about 8 months now I think... Maybe longer... I weigh anywhere from 180-190 without gear (depending on my beer consumption...) the post hasn't given me any pause as to the quality. It doesn't have much bling factor aside from the fact that its titanium... Unbranded and plain, but I kind of prefer that since I removed all but the motobecane decal on the bike. The only real detractor is the price... But it's still far cheaper than a lynsky or eriksen... Although they do look nice... But it's a freaking seat post, lol.
    I ordered one today (Amazon was a bit cheaper, faster shipping and still free shipping). Since it has a 1-year warranty, I feel pretty good about it. My Thomson post is 330mm long, and I ordered the 400mm Ti post. The Thomson is also only about 1/2" from the minimum insertion line, while the new post will go in 2" & change deeper. If it gets rid of my creaking noises, I'll send you a beer!
    - Lord Charles Beresford

mtbr member
    I ordered one today (Amazon was a bit cheaper, faster shipping and still free shipping). Since it has a 1-year warranty, I feel pretty good about it. My Thomson post is 330mm long, and I ordered the 400mm Ti post. The Thomson is also only about 1/2" from the minimum insertion line, while the new post will go in 2" & change deeper. If it gets rid of my creaking noises, I'll send you a beer!
    Regional IPAs only ;-)

mtbr member
    Jun 2010

Amazon link?

Can you post the link on Amazon for the seatpost?

Cheers!

Rollin 29s
    Quote Originally Posted by cac313 View Post
    Can you post the link on Amazon for the seatpost?

Cheers!
    Sorry for the delay. This is the link to the post I bought and seller:

Amazon.com: New Titanium Bicycle Seatpost Road MTB Moutain Bike Seat Post 31.6 X 350mm / 400mm: Sports & Outdoors
    - Lord Charles Beresford

mtbr member
    FWIW, that's not the post that I have, although I'm sure it's good as well. This is mine: J L Titanium TI Seatpost 31 6mm 27 2mm for Road Mountain MTB XC DH Fr Bike Zero | eBay

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Thanks guys!

mtbr member
    "You get what you pay for"
    He got what would go normally go for triple at a bike shop, had an issue, and is covered 100% due to the great warranty.

I expect it must be a sense of relief in your search to come across somebody among the hundreds if not thousands who finally had an issue. Everybody in here paid less for a bike similar to which you own that you paid triple for because yours has a sticker on it you can show off. Coming into the Motobecane forum and being jealous due to poor financial decisions is pretty sad.

Rollin 29s
    FWIW, that's not the post that I have, although I'm sure it's good as well. This is mine: J L Titanium TI Seatpost 31 6mm 27 2mm for Road Mountain MTB XC DH Fr Bike Zero | eBay
    My seat post is amazingly FLEXY! Very scary actually. The tip of the saddle tilts up and the rear tilts down by 1/2" to 3/4" when I apply my full weight to it, and the seat post visibly flexes toward the rear tire.

If this was a natural feature of this Ti post designed to add a little suspension to my ride, I could maybe live with it, but I can't help but think this thing is going to eventually snap either at the saddle rail clamp or seat post clamp.

Sure, it is light as hell, but I'm 220 lbs geared up.

I'm curious how your post feels? It looks a little more substantial than mine.
    - Lord Charles Beresford

mtbr member
    Did you buy the same one I linked to (the $120 one)? I only have like 7-8 inches of post showing and I can't really say I can feel it flex much at all, which was why I kind of bought it. I've actually been thinking of picking up a Syntace P6 Hiflex for more comfort, but I'm not sure if it'll make any difference.

I'm 190 geared and I ride an XL.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2