mtbr member
    Jan 2009

fly team ti availability

anybody selling a 14" frame fly team ti? missed my chance while it was still in stock. couldn't get myself to buy the Fantom Pro ti.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Never mind, I ended up buying a Trek Top Fuel SL. I know I paid more but since it was a closeout Item, my 07 Trek Top Fuel SL was 1000 more than the fly team ti. and is a sub 22 lb. full suspension bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by milo8172
    Never mind, I ended up buying a Trek Top Fuel SL. I know I paid more but since it was a closeout Item, my 07 Trek Top Fuel SL was 1000 more than the fly team ti. and is a sub 22 lb. full suspension bike.
    V-brakes?

You sure will have fun, and there is nothing wrong with Trek, but for $3200 you could have assembled a much better one from parts off internet.

$550 new SID
    $800 Iron horse Azure 08 on closeout (far superior suspension to 07 trek) (headset and collar included AFAIK)
    $450 - WTB/Stan's wheelset
    $110 - Thomson masterpiece seat post
    $90 - X4 stem
    $100 - your favorite flat bar
    $100 - Raven tires for use with Stan's
    $100 - some saddle
    $350 XTR crankset (this and following looking at delivered price on chain reaction)
    $130 XTR shifters
    $130 XTR cassette
    $120 XTR derailler
    $250 XTR front and rear disk brakes with 6-bolt rotors

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Curmy The only difference is that this is a Carbon Fiber frame. otherwise you are right. I might still get the hardtail ti when it comes out after selling my other full suspension.

mtbr member
    Curmy The only difference is that this is a Carbon Fiber frame.
    Personally, I do consider that a drawback, not an advantage, but I know that many people feel otherwise. I am not sure what are the actual benefits of composite materials on a full suspension - so far they are not lighter, nor stronger, nor more reliable.

For hard tails, titanium and steel works just great. Under around grand you can find a custom made steel frame for you (such as Curtlo for example).

By making some minor compromises on parts I have listed you could have fitted a $1099 closeout on X-small 08 Turner Flux (from Competitive Cyclist) into your budget.

Or a budget Sette Ace frame for around $400 would actually perform not too far from Trek.

(I have missed front derailleur and housing and grips from the list.. but you can find new 32mm SID fork for under $550 to compensate.. $460 for the Race trim for example)

Just thinking aloud, not knocking on your choice, which is a good deal and a fine bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Curmy
    By making some minor compromises on parts I have listed you could have fitted a $1099 closeout on X-small 08 Turner Flux (from Competitive Cyclist) into your budget.
    Heck, you could have bought remaining 22" Fly Team Ti, $1100 Turner Flux frame, $75 Thomson seatpost, transfer all the parts, and sell WCS seatpost and the nice new 22" Ti frame, for probably around $550 (I would think - Mosso Ti frames that are worse then Fly go for $800+ on EBay, seatpost should fetch $50). That would give you a probably lighter bike then the Trek, from a better maker, with better key components, for $450+ cheaper.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    here is something funny, my new bike has a durace 12-27t. cassette. now i need to work hard to keep from buying the 11-34t. Honestly, my real budget was only for the fly team Ti at 2100 but I charged the rest, must need to pay in period of one year though so no interest is charged. now that I have my superlight bike, I will probably just go ahead and get the Fantom Pro ti. Thanks for the info, I might build that too.

mtbr member
    here is something funny, my new bike has a durace 12-27t. cassette. now i need to work hard to keep from buying the 11-34t.
    Do not. You will add at least 50g and gain two low ratios that you will never use.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Curmy, thanks for all the info you have given me. I ended up returning my Trek Fuel superlight because the front end with only 80mm of travel was too low and ridiculously light. I got scared of wiping out. I ended up buying a slightly heavier and longer travel front fork Trek Fuel EX 9.5. Once I sell my other bike, I am still looking to get a Fly team ti but based on owning an XC racer like the Fuel SL, I might just go with the heavier Fantom Pro ti.