mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Fly Team 29er Titanium - Need help with sizing!

I plan on buying one of these when they get restocked. But, unfortunately, at 6'2, I'm right between the recommended sizing for the 19" (fits up to 6'1) and the 21" (fits 6'3 and taller). So, I'm looking for a little help from those that have experience with this particular frame.

As stated, I'm 6'2, 190lb. Pretty normal leg/torso length for my height. But, my arms are a little longer than average.

My intended use for the bike is racing. Both XTERRA Triathlon and XC mountain biking. So, it will be set up fairly aggressively. (I will be doing longer training rides on it in the off-season, though. So, comfort won't be completely thrown out the window.)

I live in the midwest (Missouri). So, terrain is typical for the region. Not mountainous by any means, but pretty hilly with lots of tight, twisty singletrack. Plenty of roots and rocks. Not much sand or boulders. We do tend to have loose rock on a lot of climbs.

And, if it matters, this will be my first mountain bike. (That's why I need help on deciding wether to go with the smaller frame or the larger frame.)

So, what do you say? Go with the smaller frame (19") to keep it light and maneuverable for racing - OR- with the larger frame for better stability for this newbie?

Thanks.

Steve

AZ
    banned
    FWIW , I am about your size and would be on a 21 inch frame . I have a 32.5 inch cycling inseam . Hope that helps . Good luck .

mtbr member
    I'm 6'2" and long limbed (34" inseam). Very happy on the XL and a 90mm stem. I could probably ride a large with a 110 or 120mm stem, but I'd rather not. Bike is plenty quick as-is, I've raced it XC and in an XTerra and it did just fine.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Thanks, guys. 21" it is.

Steve

U sayin' Bolt ?
    I am 6'2 with long arms and torso and I am torn between the 17 and the 19 , leaning towards the 17 ,, I guess everyone has their preferances though and I like to be out of the saddle