mtbr member

Fly Al vs Fly Ti ?

So my current hardtail is a 2004 Fly Al 9357, although the shifters/dérailleurs are the only thing left on there from the stock components. It has been a good frame, very light, very fast and actually pretty comfortable for anything under 1.5 hours. The original components were ok, but 4 years of racing/riding does take its toll.

I am thinking about the Fly Ti as a replacement for the Fly Al in the coming year (looks like BD is going to make/order another batch). Can anyone out there tell me if they can really tell the difference between the Fly Al ride and the Fly Ti ride? I know the Ti looks cool and will probably last longer than me, just wondering if the ride quality is significantly different than the Fly Al.

Thanks

d00d
    I have never ridden an aluminum mountain bike, but I can tell you from my road bike experience that while aluminum frames are a good value for how light they are, aluminum is my least favorite material to ride because it offers the least amount of dampening. On one hand, that is good because it translates into the least amount of energy loss; however, it can be a pain to ride for the same reason. Front end impacts are not quite as jarring on mountain bikes for myriad reasons, but it is still something to consider. Maintenance on the frame is obviously about the same as other materials, but repairs are almost impossible.

I've never ridden a Ti bike, but I had titanium bars on my motocross bike and they met with a untimely end after a hard crash - I guess titanium doesn't bend. The bars just snapped.

I know none of this is terribly helpful, but that's my two cents.

mtbr member

I know what you mean

Quote Originally Posted by illuminati
    I have never ridden an aluminum mountain bike, but I can tell you from my road bike experience that while aluminum frames are a good value for how light they are, aluminum is my least favorite material to ride because it offers the least amount of dampening. On one hand, that is good because it translates into the least amount of energy loss; however, it can be a pain to ride for the same reason. Front end impacts are not quite as jarring on mountain bikes for myriad reasons, but it is still something to consider. Maintenance on the frame is obviously about the same as other materials, but repairs are almost impossible.

I've never ridden a Ti bike, but I had titanium bars on my motocross bike and they met with a untimely end after a hard crash - I guess titanium doesn't bend. The bars just snapped.

I know none of this is terribly helpful, but that's my two cents.
    Thanks, I have never ridden Ti at all, so I have no basis for any comparison. I was hoping to find someone who had ridden both the fly Al and the fly Ti to give a comparison, but I appreciate your comments.

I was at an endurance mtb race yesterday trying to do the 6 hour solo. The trails had some pretty tough technical sections, but there was this guy there riding the event on on a Ti Moots cross bike with a rigid front! And he passed me...So I know the engine is more important than the bike, but the whole ridiculous circumstance got me thinking even more about the Ti thing for a hardtail mtb.

thecentralscrutinizer
    You won't be disappointed in a Ti bike. It will ride better than your AL bike, but probably be a bit heavier too. Ti is a good investment if you are planning on keeping the bike for a considerable time.
    2015 Kona JTS
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5
    2013 DeVinci Leo SL
    2009 SE Racing SoCal Flyer
    2008 SE lil Ripper
    2003 TiSport Gman

paco87
    Apr 2007
    I have had both Al and Ti bikes and I just can say this: If you can pay for Ti, go for it. There is no way you will regret it. I'm not saying that Al bikes are a bad thing or anything like that. If you don't want to pay a lot of money or can't get a good deal but still want to have a light, dependable frame, go with Al. Ti, on the other hand, is usually way more expensive but definitely worth it. Pretty much as light as Al, absolutely much more durable but the real difference is the ride. And, if can throw in a Ti seatpost, you will be riding on a hardtail piece of heaven. If you can, try it.