mtbr member
    Jun 2008

first issue...BB

I was on a ride yesterday when I noticed that I had some play in my crank arms. Got home and looked closer and realized that it was the bottom bracket. I have no experience working on bottom backets. Can anyone guide me to a good article or describe what I'll have to do to fix this? Any special tools I'll need or anything? BTW, I have a Fantom Comp. This is what I signed up for when I decided that to shop at the LBS, and it''s good to know how to do this stuff anyway. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Try parktool.com Also sheldonbrown.com

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    which style to I have exactly? External Bearing?

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    It's good that you want to learn & build bikes. I don't know your bike model , except i think bikesdirect.com sells your bike and they list the components. I have to go for now. Keep asking on the forum. Sometimes the number of responses you get are determined by the day or time of day etc. you ask.Keep on posting up till you get help. The guys can help you with your repairs and building.---zarr

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    What exactly is loose, the crank arm or the bottom bracket? You have an integrated bottom bracket, so to tighten the cups in the frame you need the following tool.

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...tegory_ID=4200

But it is not likely that the bearing cups are loose. It is more likely that your cranks are loose. In which case you just need an allen wrech to tighten them up.
    2012 On One Whippet 650b
    2012 Santa Cruz TRc 650b
    2014 On One Dirty Disco
    2010 Soma Groove
    1987 Haro RS1

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I think its the bottom bracket, it looks like it's able to move around. I'll try tightening the crank arms, but the play is in both sides.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I took the bike to a lbs today for its first tune up and mentioned the play in the bottom bracket. The guy said that if there is play that the bb will most likely need to be replaced. When i first noticed the play I had put less than 5 miles on the bike. I'll know whats up tomorrow... with any luck it's something that can be fixed. Should i contact Bikes Direct over this?
    thanks

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Before contacting Bikesdirect, find out what the problem was. If it was a loose bottom bracket then you should contact them. If your LBS replaces is I would not expect BD to re-imburse you. But you should at least try.
    2012 On One Whippet 650b
    2012 Santa Cruz TRc 650b
    2014 On One Dirty Disco
    2010 Soma Groove
    1987 Haro RS1

Bushwacker
    I suggest you have the LBS wirte out a detailed estimate to include a summary of their findings and why they thought the part failed or repair is needed. Email a copy of the repair estimate with your narrative of the problem and what you expect bikesdirect to do about it to BD. Hold off on the repair till BD advises you further. Whatever happens, post the outcome with replies from BD on this forum for all to see so the Moto community knows how you were treated and BD knows we all are aware it as well. Good luck.
    When I'm not windsurfing, I'm mountain biking

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Well, it got a clean bill of health. Its funny how things like that seem to work. He said he didnt notice anything, and after a quick ride still no play. He said things like that can happen with a new bike, so I guess thats all it was. I also got it tuned up for the first time since putting it together, so now I'll really get to see what it's made of (and it was awesome before). Anyway, thanks to everyone who responded over the past few weeks on my issue, this board makes owning a motobecane that much better.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    My bottom bracket is messed up. For real this time. over the last couple rides the same clicking that I experienced months ago has made a turn for the louder/worse. I'm going to have to have a new one installed. Besides that problem and oil leaking around the rebound adjustment, all it's good. I'm thinking i'll just replace it with the same instead of upgrading.

Gringo
    No worries my friend! I would advise against riding when you think the BB is very loose because it can damage threads and that can cause long term frame issues.

All this banging your head against the wall really isn't necessary... stress kills, man!

On the lighter side, follow the advice earlier in the thread and you'll be the master of bottom brackets in no-time. Perhaps you can buy the BB tool from your LBS, and get them to show you how to use it on your bike. Seems you've got a good relationship with them, and this will provide you peace of mind... and get you back on the trails ASAP.

If you do replace, do your best to really clean out the threads, regrease, and be very careful not to cross-thread the new BB. Be patient, and stop if you feel uncomfortable resistance.

G.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Trek223
    I was on a ride yesterday when I noticed that I had some play in my crank arms. Got home and looked closer and realized that it was the bottom bracket. I have no experience working on bottom backets. Can anyone guide me to a good article or describe what I'll have to do to fix this? Any special tools I'll need or anything? BTW, I have a Fantom Comp. This is what I signed up for when I decided that to shop at the LBS, and it''s good to know how to do this stuff anyway. Thanks.

For some FSA cranks - check that the wave washer is in place on the left side. FSA even had a special tech bulletin about that: Wave washer bulletin