mtbr member
    Sep 2011

First Impression - Fantom 29 X7

so, i made my first ride on my new 2012 Fantom 29 X7, my first impression

up to now i had a 26er FS plus a roadbike, the last month i was riding an older 26er Rockhopper. the last 2 years i spend 350hrs/year on both bikes and ride everything from countryside to alps.

my first impression was: holy s**t, whatever surface and angle i through at it, it just kept climbing... the traction is just unbelievable. need a higher mountain!

.) it arrived after some days, less than one week.
    .) the cardbox looked horrible when it arrived, but cant really blame BD for it.
    .) no big problem with assembly, only thing, i had every tool beside the torx for the front brake disc (not that i like braking, but having a front brake makes me feel safer).
    .) derailer hanger was bent, judging how the box looked like when i received it, not sure whom to blame. but support promised to send me a replacement + a spare one immediately (i asked for the spare one, knowing how much of a PITA it is to have a broken hanger far away from the civilization)
    .) i think my saddle mount is bent, i have a very strange problem not to be able to move the saddle far enough to the back and the mount just looks very strange, support said they will include a new saddle.
    .) after assembling it i was positively surprised, front as well as rear derailer were properly adjusted, and havent found any other problems up to now.

so, first ride 50km/800hm, basically mountain road, sometimes smooth, sometimes big gravel, down a rocky single trail

positive bike specific:
    .) nothing squeaks, no clicking noise, nothing, just the sound of the tires.
    .) X7 - does its job wonderfully, i haven't noticed any big difference in shifting quality to the X9 i am used to on my fully
    .) i am missing the adjustable breaking point, but in terms of functionality/breaking power/dosement, i dont see a need to upgrade (for me)
    .) i dont have any real complaints after the first ride, so it seems it just does its job. get me from a back to a via b/c/d/e with whatever terrain there is.

"negative" bike specific:
    .) why in the name of god wouldn't you drill two more holes for a second bottle mount, yes its a bit cramped, but there is enough space on 17+. the picture on the homepage includes a 2nd bottle mount.
    .) the saddle, in the specs there is a WTB rocked 5 listed, but the picture and also my bike comes with a WTB speed 5. honestly it doesnt work for me. its not an "sit upright" bike (thats the gravity), so why would you mount a grandmother chair on a bike like that? especially in combination with the pretty narrow handlebar, either make a wide handlebar and a wide saddle, or make it a narrow more speed oriented setup, but the mixture doesnt work at all. need to replace the saddle
    .) same for the stem, need to get a 7degree one, cant even look at it, saddle is the same height as handlebar.

in summary i am happy with my purchase, i will upgrade saddle/saddleposts/stem and then i will ride it until i once again feel the need to get a sub 22lbs 29er.

http://i51.tinypic.com/2z40mk2.jpg
    http://i52.tinypic.com/2nbt5c7.jpg

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    thanks for the detailed review as i'm eyeballing that bike closely to get back into MTBing.

what size did you go with and what is your inseam? i'm in between the 17" and 19" and am thinking i'd rather it be a touch small.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by blackliner77 View Post
    what size did you go with and what is your inseam? i'm in between the 17" and 19" and am thinking i'd rather it be a touch small.
    5'10", 32in inseam without shoes and i took the 17"

should have bough the 19", i prefer a bit of a stretched riding position and the standover height would be still ok with the 19".

that said, the 17" is the better choice given my measurements.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by fifilein View Post
    5'10", 32in inseam without shoes and i took the 17"

should have bough the 19", i prefer a bit of a stretched riding position and the standover height would be still ok with the 19".

that said, the 17" is the better choice given my measurements.
    'preciate it!

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Congrats on the purchase.
    I just completed my first ride on the X5, and will post up my review soon.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Sorry, I need to have over 5 posts to create a new thread, so this is a place holder.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Thinking about getting one of these for the wife, how much assembly was there to do?

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Thanks for the info. I'm new to the sport and am trying to decide between a X7 and a Trek Mamba. Any thoughts?

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by cac313 View Post
    Thinking about getting one of these for the wife, how much assembly was there to do?
    I bought one, this is the 4th bikesdirect bike I've dealt with (2 Cross bikes, 1 FS 26" and now the X7 29er). The 29er required the most assembly. The rear derailleur is taped to the frame, the cables are connected though. The front end is completely disconnected, you'll ahve to do stem, bars, shifters, brakes etc. The front brake cable and caliper are connected but you'll have to put those on.

None of it is hard really. Mine had a bent derailleur hanger which slowed me down but I've got everything together and a buddy is headed this way as I type this to help me finalize the tuning. I think the rear derailleur will require quite a bit but the front looks pretty ok. We'll see

Pictures to follow once it's done

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by gamb View Post
    Pictures to follow once it's done
    Looking forward to that. I just ordered one (17.5") for the wife so I should have some photos of my own soon too. Going to order a better stem and bar setup though. The one that's on there is hard to look at.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Ok. together and a couple of rides in. I like it. First mountain bike so not much to compare it to. Seems to climb really well. I've got a road/tri background and fitness on a bike but mtn is certainly different. I've kept up with my friends climbing but they descend better than I do right now. Getting used to the braking/turned etc

I replaced the stem and handlebars already with race face stem and bars from price point. Didn't want to invest too much as it was a cosmetic thing. Looks much better IMO. The seat and seat post will be replaced soon enough and I threw on some SPD pedals that I had.

I've got some pictures of the stem and bars that I need to upload

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Awesome! It looks great! I was looking at the same bar and stem, what mm length did you go with? And what size frame again?

My wife has no idea about the bike, she's going to love this compared to the beginner boat anchor bike she's had. Those are wallpaper quality pics. Very nice!

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    it's the 19" Frame. I'm between 6' and 6'1. 90mm stem. I went with the inexpensive Race Face Evolve XC and these Race Face carbon bars. Need to shop for the seat post and seat now

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I love the color. The saddle is quite a shame though, wide saddles just get in the way.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    What is the difference between the Motobecane Fantom29 X7 and the Elite? They are both $899 on bikesdirect.com

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by rperez07 View Post
    What is the difference between the Motobecane Fantom29 X7 and the Elite? They are both $899 on bikesdirect.com
    The X7 is a SRAM drivetrain with a Tora fork and the Elite is a Shimano SLX/XT drivetrain and a Recon fork.

Do you like Shimano or SRAM better?

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Actually, they both have Rockshox Recon's according to their descriptions ...

Regarding to Shimano vs SRAM, i'm relatively new to MTB so I don't know better to tell the difference, part of the reason why I posted my question.

I did like the looks of the Elite better, it has a more aggressive looking stem!

Did not like the fact that the cabling goes through the upper part of the tube as opposed thru the bottom part.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by rperez07 View Post
    Actually, they both have Rockshox Recon's according to their descriptions ...

Regarding to Shimano vs SRAM, i'm relatively new to MTB so I don't know better to tell the difference, part of the reason why I posted my question.

I did like the looks of the Elite better, it has a more aggressive looking stem!

Did not like the fact that the cabling goes through the upper part of the tube as opposed thru the bottom part.
    You are right, in the long description they have the Recon listed for the SRAM X7 version...but under the picture they have it listed as :

SRAM X7 30 Speed
    Motobecane Fantom29 X7
    List $1995
    SALE $899 Click Here to Save Up To 60%
    30 Speed/ Avid Hydraulic/ SRAM X7/ Rockshox Tora Fork

odd.

In the detailed pictures they do have the Recon fitted.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    just picked up 2, one for me, one for my lady. i got 15" and she has 13" so far we love them based on our very minimal ride sessions. will post more when we have more ride time

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Do you guys like the sram or the shimano components better for the 899 price point?