mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Fanton Pro Ti Arrived Early!

Well this is one happy early adopter. Placed the order a few weeks back and bike arrived Monday 9/29 ahead of schedule.

First let me say I was very skeptical about how the thing would arrive, (UPS in the city and all), box had slight damage, but bike inside was unharmed (packing was less that desirable. I ordered a mail order bike from Colorado Cyclist last year and the thing was packed rock solid, this one -- well I consider myself lucky).

1 hr to put it together, yeah... actually I did it in about 35mins, BUT (and here's the kicker), many things to follow up on -- here's the action list:

1) Stretch derailleur cables and readjust derailleurs (both)
    2) Grease threads on ALL bolts (they were completely dry) bars, stem, bottle cage mounts, ..etc. Dry threads, wet climate lead to frozen bolts and stripped sock heads or broken bolts.
    3) Readjust disc calipers (front need to be installed, but rear was misaligned also)
    4) Wheels could use a little retrue, but I think it's really more the tires are 2.35 and if they're not centered exactly on the rim, they wobble a little.
    5) Get rid of the hokie head tube badge (hey loose 2 1/2 grams too!!)
    6) Get rid of the Wal-Mart Motobecane logo (just cause I bought a deal don't need everyone else to know it)

And "wa'la" she screams. Had it out on some single track today and it's nice. Very light (whether it's the stated weight or not I can't say, but 18" just as it comes feels very light. I would guess with my goofy wellgo pedals, the meaty 2.35 tires and such -- no more than 24lbs.)

Now the question remains, how will it handle my 210 lb ass. Will it last, the wheels are really light. When taking them out of the box I almost crapped a brick. Will they last?

I'll post updates to this thread so there's a record. All and all, I'm really happy at this moment. BikesDirect is exactly as what you think it is. It's a discount seller of Asian frames with the same components you'd get at your LBS. If you hate putting together IKEA furniture, or have never wrenched your own bike, then be ready to take it in to a local shop when you get it. Otherwise, same bike for half the price.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    nice rig

congrats

mtbr member
    Get the stickers off the wheels. Fugly.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    mine came in yesterday. Going to hit the trails this weekend.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Dude -- loose the wheel reflectors, and did you get it to a bike shop where they can weigh it?

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Sup guys, nice bikes. Mine was shipped Monday and will be here Wednesday. Can't wait to get on it. Anything you guys don't like about it? Any plans to change/upgrade any of the parts?

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    OK, been riding it for a couple of weeks now, and although Iím still getting used to it - these are the first impressions.

Feels very light on hard pack and street. Actually kept up with a group of roadies for a little while, something I never could have done on the old FS I had (or at least not for more than Ĺ mile).

Bars are not my favorite. I wonít say they suck, but definite room for improvement with risers. Iíll invest in some carbon MonkeyLites soon. Also I was surprised to check out the weight on the Ritchey Comp bars and stem, I thought they were much lighter than they are (again room for improvement).

On the trail, bike is a pretty nimble nice handling ride. One thing that Iíve noticed and I wonít say itís a bad thing is the geometry is somewhat slack. If you check youíll see the wheelbase is a little longer than usual, and the chain stay is 16.7 again little longer than usual for a ďrace worthyĒ trail HT as advertised. So climbing would be better with a shorter chain stay, but with the longer wheelbase the bike is really pretty stable at speed and down the rocky. So is it a bad thing, Iím not worried about it. The bike is a very light HT, so how Fíin bad can climbing be! And well the extra stability is really a nice to have for me, so Iím kind of liking it!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    6) Get rid of the Wal-Mart Motobecane logo (just cause I bought a deal don't need everyone else to know it)

Now you just have to slap a Giant sticker on it and be the coolest guy on the trails

mtbr member
    Picked mine up a week ago. It shipped early as well and unfortunately I was still out of town. UPS made 3 attempts and good thing it wasn't sent back before I got back in town.

Only put 24 trail miles so far. First impression: This bike rides like a dream. Fast acceleration, great climber, very responsive and those beefy tires make tackling roots, rocks and stream crossing fairly comfortable. Shifting the front & rear derailleurs were spot-on. No adjustments needed at this point. One thing I did was to reposition the brake line to the rear caliper as it was not using the very last clip. No biggie but it bugged me that the last clip was not used.

mtbhowie - love that stickerless, stealth look.

Some pics before the first ride...
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Took mine out last weekend and loved every minute of it. It's actually lighter than my commuter / road bike (Tricross sport) of course it has a rack on it. I don't have anything to compare it to since this is my first MTB but it was a great ride as i tried to bomb around one of the local MTB race circuit's.

mtbr member
    Simple way to weigh your bike...get digital human scale from bathroom, weigh yourself, then weigh yourself holding up the bike. Subtract the bike and you from just you, and you will have the weight within a pound. Unless your scale does halfs or tenths, then your golden!
    Last edited by Dr Saw; 10-15-2008 at 05:48 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    My 18" weighs 25# with pedals.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    No need, brought the bad boy into the shop last weekend and popped it on the scale. 18" out of the box with Ritchey clone pedals weighed in @ 24lbs. even. Rather happy with that.

swap the Ritchey comp parts for some carbon bars and lighter stem and post and you could definitely get the bike down in weight.

mtbr member
    Nice bikes. I am going Moto this Christmas. Maybe one for the girl.

gmarte12
    Feb 2008

maybe

so jealous. yeah. anybody want to donate?

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Ok, can't believe it's been 2 years -- still liking it a lot. -- wheels have held up really well also. I'm a big boy so I've mangled my fair share -- they're still pretty straight.

Was getting a little bored, so went single speed. Light and fast!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fanton Pro Ti Arrived Early!-single_speed_1.jpg  

Fanton Pro Ti Arrived Early!-single_speed_2.jpg  

mtbr member
    After jumping on the 29er bandwagon a year ago with a Sette Razzo, the Fantom Ti was relegated to be the spare bike and was hardly ridden for most of this year until a month ago when I converted it to a single speed. Then it was fun all over again. It has over 1,800 dirt miles on it right now.