Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

FantomPro29er review with pixs

1K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  pursuiter 
#1 · (Edited)
Needed to replace my Ross Mt. Whitney I purchased in ~1982, my oldest son took it to college and I really wanted a MTB. Build up a Giant 860 frame with a Trek component set from a bent 970 frame a friend abandoned at my house for 8 years. Beat the crap out of my old body, so it was time to drop some cash on a new bike. After looking around, getting abused by all the LBS (sorry, but I know crap when I hear it) it was time for a MO bike, started researching and it was clear a 29er was for me. After much hand wringing I arrived at the FantomPro29.

Bike arrived UPS as per web based tracking. I immediately stripped the bike down to the frame and repainted it. I hate having the same old look everyone else has. I have always like Shimano products so I changed the cranks, not really needed, stock cranks are very nice. Gave the stock seat to my son and changed to a fatboy gel seat.

Pluses:
Nice frame, clean welds, nice ride.
Decent component selection, esp the derailleurs/shifts/fork.

Minuses:
- I didn’t really like the wheels. The spokes aren’t loaded correctly, the rims don’t have eyelets and 32* rims don’t give this 240lbs Clyde confidence. I rebuilt them correctly and turned them into my commuter wheels.
- Seatpost, stem and handlebars are throw away.
- Juicy 3 aren’t really my idea of good brakes. I upgraded them to BB7s.

So here it is:
- Tora 318 Solo Air (stock)
- Shimano LX cranks
- Shimano 520 pedals
- Shimano XT derailleurs (stock)
- Shimano LX shifter (stock)
- Ritchey seatpost
- Easton Monkey Lite CB low risers 25.4mm bars
- Forte 100mm stem
- Chris King Dreadset (not needed, I just like his products)
- BB7 180mm rear/203 front with Avid levers
- Street wheels: Stock WTB rims, rebuilt with correct spoke loading, Michelin City 47mm tires with stock 11-32 cassette.
- Off road wheels: XT 756 hubs (36 hole), DT 2.0mm spokes, Mavic 317 rims with stock WTB Raptor tires, LX 11-34 cassette.

Pix are with my commuter wheels and rear view mirror, sorry, it’s deadly in the NW ‘burbs.

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
zarr said:
...Go to blueskycycling.com & key in item# 99202 concerning yor wheelset.:thumbsup:
I saw wheels like those all over the net at similar prices. I wouldn't buy those wheels at any price for the following reasons:

Rim: WTB Dual Duty FR 29er
no eyelets, small intial savings, life of wheel is severaly compromised. The Mavic 317 with double eyelets is a much better choice for this reason. Also much easier to build, or rebuilt as the case may be, these wheels need to be rebuilt to fix the spoke loading....

Hub: Shimano Deore Disc M525
The 525 hubs get very bad marks on the equipment reviews, for an extra $50 I went with the 756, they get much better marks. The extra $$ goes to a freehub that doesn't break in the first few months.

Spoke Count: 32 front and rear
I prefer 36 hole for the extra strength for a very small weight penalty. Also, the wheels in the picture have the spokes loaded incorrectly.

Overall, this wheelset's life is compromised by incorrect assembly and poor choices to save a few $$.

It cost me an extra $80 to get my off-road wheels just right for me, well worth it for my peace of mind.

#7 ·
Very nice!

Nice bike. I like your upgrades. Did you build those wheels yourself? I'm thinking new wheels for my first upgrade, to be done at a later date.

I'm not a big fan of the Juicy 3's either, but once adjusted they work fine for me. It's just a hassle to dial them in after pulling a wheel off and putting it back on. The 7's on my wife's fly pro are really nice though (from my newbie mechanic's point of view). I rode her bike only long enough to break in the brakes a bit, since they don't stop worth a damn when brand new. What little experience I had with them from a user standpoint was positive. I have no experience with BB7's.

I agree with your assessment on the throw away's also. I'm staying with stock for now due to recent spending on the wife's steed. I don't mind the weight (too much). I do mind the clunky look of that stem though. It'll make a great doorstop some day.

I am happy with the bike as stock, but I look forward to giving it some bling!

Fullmetal

#8 ·
fullmetal said:
...I agree with your assessment on the throw away's also...I am happy with the bike as stock, but I look forward to giving it some bling!
I am a freak, I like everthing just right. I agree the stock stuff is all good. The "throw aways" will work, the hydro brakes are fine (I'm going to Jamacia and don't want the hassles of fluid). Maybe the seatpost is the only real issue, it's too short for this frame design (29er wheels/sloping top tube means lots of seatpost, 3" more than a 26er). The wheels are better than I give them credit for, I've got ~60 miles of crummy spring roads/bikepaths/sidewalk commuting since I rebuilt 'em and they are holding up fine. I have always have two sets of wheels for my MTB, since 1983. Street tires get most of my miles, I have always lived in an urban setting. Off-roading is maybe 1/20 of my miles, but when i go, I want the right tires.

edit: yes, I do my own wheel building. Years ago I worked in a high end bike shop and built most of the wheels we sold. After building a couple hundred wheels a year for 6 years, I learned a few things....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.