mtbr member
    Jun 2012

Fantom29s: why are the cables routed on top of the top tube?

Don't most the brand name manufacturers route cables under the top tube? Looks cheap to me. :shrug:

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Cheap? Okay?

Mountain bikes have cables routed on the top because it's easier to shoulder.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Lots of bikes run cables on the bottom of bike. Looks better but inferior design and use. Cables get dirty and crap shift. In order to combat, run full length housing which cost 50g. Cables on top best place.

sent from one of my 4 gold leafed iphone4s's

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Which name-brand bikes have the cables on the top in 2012?

SoCal Rider
    Apr 2008
    True, most bikes in recent years have been switching to under-the-top tube cable routing. Not sure why the Fantom29s have done the opposite (under on last year's model, to top routing on the current), as the only benefit I see is the shouldering, which was already mentioned. I'm always on the bike and never shoulder it, so can't say I like it.

I hated the look at first, but it really doesn't bother me after owning the bike for 2 months now. Just ride and enjoy it!

JIE
    mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Maybe its because BD's frames are factory seconds, perhaps a run of a few hundred frames had mistakenly got the fittings on top?
    I just ordered from BD and I am itching to get it, I'm new to the forums, and to biking in general, I had picked up a cheap department store bike and it just wasn't cutting it, gears, rims, brakes, you name it. I went to a few LBS as they are called to see what they offered and had settled into a price range of around 700- 1000 max, I was visiting at my parents and my brother stopped by on his bike, he had a Motobecane 300HT -he says he won't spend much on a bike anymore as they get stolen too much-, but he said it was great and hadn't had any problems with it other than maintenance, I checked out the site and was hooked and settled on the Fantom29 Trail pre order, now its a waiting game. The components and geometry on the bike were superior to anything the local shops had near that price, tourney and crap shifters. Anyways nice to see such a large community and information. Thanks,

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    These are not factory seconds. Motobecane may have older styles but many of the aluminum and titanium frames are made in Taiwan which is considered superior by many, I do, compared to china metal frames made by lbs companies.

I have a Marin and a motobecane, and compared I think the motobecsne is uglier but way superior

sent from one of my 4 gold leafed iphone4s's

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    [QUOTE=JIE;9506101]Maybe itís because BD's frames are factory seconds, perhaps a run of a few hundred frames had mistakenly got the fittings on top?
    QUOTE]

Not in anyway remotely the case. They order in outsourced runs the same as every other MFG. Used to be the same mfg. as Fuji and KHS I believe, but don't quote me. I don't know who does it now with the new hydro formed tubes.

Quote Originally Posted by Things and Stuff View Post
    Don't most the brand name manufacturers route cables under the top tube? Looks cheap to me. :shrug:
    There are advantages and disadvantages to each.
    On top of the top tube. They make a bunch of racket on the top tube and corrode due to sweat falling on them. They are out of the way of dirt though and ride on a top tube rack better. Shouldering is better. It is a design that was favored in yesteryear. Any old school bike will have them on the top of the top tube which was probally carryover from roadbikes at the time.

Bottom of the top tube makes most car racks bike paint eaters but are quieter than the top of the top tube. Shouldering a bike is not as good but @ sub 30 lbs.....? Is it really an issue?

Bottom of the down tube mounted cabling provides some rock and debris protection for the thin hydro formed tubes as the front tire throws debris. On hydro formed frames that metal on the down tube is super thin, as it is a low stress point on a bike. Most good manufactures use housing here because of the amount of dirt that is thrown up will make shifting go to pot pretty quickly otherwise. There may be some full suspension reasoning/advantages to this mounting point but I am unsure so won't comment on that. I like this position best because it is most out of the way.

All that said......At the end of the day, I wouldn't worry about it too much.