sth
    mtbr member
    Nov 2009

Fantom Trail DS - all mountain?

I noticed that in the mtbr review section of full suspension bikes, all the moto fantom ds bikes are listed under " cross country" dual suspension except for the fantom trail ds, it is listed under dual suspension "all mountain". Is there something different about this bike that classifies it as "all mountain"? I thought all the fantom ds bikes were the same frame with different components

mtbr member
    Funny, Motobecane site lists every Fantom DS as all-mountain except the Team DS. Do any of them come set up for 5" of travel right out of the box?
    >>"Every chance I get!"

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    The Fantom Trail DS is set up with 5" travel. However to be honest, 5" of travel has not been considered "all mountain" for quite a few years. 5" of travel falls under the newer classification of "trail" bike. All mountain is usually at least 6" of travel.
    2012 On One Whippet 650b
    2012 Santa Cruz TRc 650b
    2014 On One Dirty Disco
    2010 Soma Groove
    1987 Haro RS1

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ljsmith
    The Fantom Trail DS is set up with 5" travel. However to be honest, 5" of travel has not been considered "all mountain" for quite a few years. 5" of travel falls under the newer classification of "trail" bike. All mountain is usually at least 6" of travel.
    Thanks, but even as a trail bike they show the Trail DS equipped with a 120mm Dart. Only the Elite & Comp come equipped with forks that can reach 130mm (approx. 5"). For $200 more, I rather get the Comp and have 5" travel front and rear right out of the box if I'm planning to ride something more challenging than XC trails..
    >>"Every chance I get!"