Thread: Fantom Trail DS

mtbr member
    Apr 2010

Fantom Trail DS

Ive been looking at all the Motos lately and have narrowed it down to the Fantom Pro 29, Fantom trail HT and the 700HT. But id really like to have a full suspension. Ive been looking at the Fantom Trail DS and its in my price range. I know everybody says stay away from FS bikes under the $1000 mark and i totally understand what they are getting at but is this a workable platform for a guy that will rarely see any major abuse. I was thinking it could use a rear shock swap. What about the other components? are they up to snuff? Ive had alot of suggestions to go with the 29er.

http://www.motobecane.com/ds/ftds.html
    I am my brothers keeper.

Total Goober
    Sep 2009
    That looks like a decent bike for the price, but can you spend the extra $200 and get the CompDS? The improvement in parts is worth well over $200.

You would get a Tora fork (vs. Dart), Hydro brakes (vs. mechanical), and better components. The wheels appear to be the same.

If this is your only bike, I would get a full suspension. I have a FS 26er, and a HT 29er. The FS 26er is my main trail bike.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    the only reason I want a full suspension is to hopefully ease the wear and tear on my back. Ive had a few motorcycle accidents and am starting to feel the affects. I want something that will take me on some easy to intermediate trails, wont go too far over $700 and will still be a decent bike 5 years from now.
    I am my brothers keeper.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I have the Fantom Trail DS, and I love it. It performs well stock, and I have taken it on everything from road rides to deeply rutted 4x4 mud trails with zero issues. The Deore/SLX drive train components operate flawlessly, and the Avid mechanical disc brakes are powerful and easy to maintain. I am sure I will eventually upgrade the shocks, but not until they wear out.

I went with the Trail DS because I also use the bike as transportation, and while everyone was pushing me to go with a 29er, I really wanted the flexibility to cushion the jarring road ride due to the condition of the roads around here. But, when I want to or need to, I can reach down and lock out the rear suspension to have a hard tail like ride.

Take it for the opinion that it is, but I do not think you will regret going with the Fantom Trail DS.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I may go the next step up and get the compDS for this reason......when i upgrade the rear shock thats gonna set me back at least $200 so i might as well save up a few more weeks and spend $995 for the Tora forks, hydro breaks and better rear shock. But who knows ive changed my mind like 30 times in the last 2 weeks on what im gonna buy.
    I am my brothers keeper.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    the best decision,the ks shock on the trail ds is awful compared to the upgrade

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Another happy camper here w/ my Moto DS. She's my everything ride, all seasons from errand runs to mtb patrols tho, now that I've had her for over a year now, wish that I had spent an xtra 200 or so for a better equip. DS instead of goin for the upgrades.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    yeah,that 200 for the shock and fork woulda made all the difference

mtbr member
    If you can swing the extra $200, I think you'll be happier especially if you plan to upgrade anyways. As the man said, "Don't buy upgrades, RIDE upgrades.". When you're ready to upgrade, just sell this one and buy the Elite/Pro/Team DS!