mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Fantom Trail coming tomorrow

I've already got Cane Creek Zonos SS wheels for it, along with a WTB Rocket Pro saddle & Sette APX carbon seatpost. I've been riding an old Trek 6000, and am looking forward to putting some miles on the new bike. I'll post up some pics once it's all together.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Cool. I have the fantom hard tail here. I love the bike, and I"m sure you will love yours.

One thing that is a must is to change out the KMC 9000 chain. It's total crap as many who ride moto's find out quickly. Also the handle bars are kind of heavy. I switched mine out to easton monkey lite carbon bars and am loving them.

Have fun with your purchase!

aka übermensch
    Have fun on your Moto. I definitely agree with nickolassc...that junk chain should be your first upgrade. And as soon as possible, lest you get stranded somewhere because it breaks.
    08 Ibis Mojo SL
    09 Ibis Tranny SingleSpeed

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by nickolassc
    Cool. I have the fantom hard tail here. I love the bike, and I"m sure you will love yours.

One thing that is a must is to change out the KMC 9000 chain. It's total crap as many who ride moto's find out quickly. Also the handle bars are kind of heavy. I switched mine out to easton monkey lite carbon bars and am loving them.

Have fun with your purchase!
    Yeah, I saw that the handlebars are real heavy. I was looking at the Easton EC90 mtb handlebars(99 grams). I might still pull the trigger on them. I'll have to look into replacement chains also.

edit: I just placed an order for a Dura Ace XTR chain and the Easton EC90 bar.
    Last edited by Benzguy; 08-19-2008 at 08:34 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    In finally got a chance to put most of the bike together today. I swapped out the wheels/tires/seatpost/saddle/handlebars. Unfortunately there were no pedals in the box. I was planning to use my clipless pedals, but it would have been nice to have a back up set. I'll have to contact them and see if they send me a set. I wasn't able to get the cassette swapped because whoever put that on really cranked down the lock ring. I'll get that taken care of tomorrow. I was disappointed to see that even after putting all of the lighter components on the bike, it still weighed in at 28 pounds.(20 inch) Obviously bikes direct was just a bit too optimistic in the weight they claimed. Anyways, here is the bike 99% complete:

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I've had a chance to do a couple of challenging rides now with the new bike. It rides nice, and isn't too bad on the climbs. That being said, I'm going a different route. I'm planning to do some racing next season, and this just won't work for me. So, I ordered the new Fly Pro model that's coming out next month. I am going to keep the Cane Creek wheels, seat post/saddle, and Easton handlebars and put them on the Fly Pro.