Thread: Fantom Trail

Long Distance MTB

Fantom Trail

I got a Fantom Trail, so far, it looks good, but it sure seems like it weights more than the 26.5-28.5 pounds advertised. I will confirm that later.

These are big bicycles, I got a 16" and it looks like is 17" or maybe even 19".

We'll see how it handles later. If I can get a seat bag for the tools. I don't know why I was expecting a more browner color, not that the grey color is bad, in fact it was better than I was expecting.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I tried weighing mine with some tricky methods and a bathroom scale and it was around 30-32 I think. It doesn't feel heavy when I pick it up though, and feels even lighter tossing it around on the trails.

I love mine and you will too!

Long Distance MTB

31.3 lbs

Digital bathroom scale showed 31.3 pounds for the smallest Fantom Trail.
    Kind of disappointing for me, as the weight was what separated apart from other options.

Not a bad bike, but I will have some issues trusting bikesdirect again.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I was extremely disappointed to find out these bikes are significantly heavier than advertised. I would guess they are at least 5 pounds heavier than the advetised weight. It's a shame because it is an otherwise solid and beautiful bike. I have already ordered a Fly Pro, as the weight of the Fantom Trail is just too much for the riding I do. Hopefully BD will correct the claimed weight they have listed on their site.

Former Bike Wrench
    Looking at the spec's on the Fantom Trail...it doesn't surprise me that its over 30lbs. The fork alone is >5lbs. Those pedals are tanks too (fyi-bike weights are almost always w/o pedals).

That said, it would be nice if companies listed actual weights (with or without pedals). I will say though, my Windsor Cliff 29R Pro is listed (on the Fuji website your directed to from BD) at 30.30lbs and mine was 30lbs 3oz (30.19) stock in the large size with pedals...go figure

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I noticed that BD has removed from the description the weight they had listed for the Fantom Trail.

I never got the chance to check the weight of the pedals because there were no pedals in the box with the bike. I was going to contact BD about it, but have been busy and haven't had the chance.

mtbr member
    The pedals that come with the Fantom Trail (or at least the Fantom Trail DS that I got) are not worth worrying about. You're better off without them. They are heavy, and they are crappy platforms on one side, clipless connectors on the other.
    I guess I could weigh mine, since they are not on the bike, but what's the point?
    - Dan

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by maffud
    The pedals that come with the Fantom Trail (or at least the Fantom Trail DS that I got) are not worth worrying about. You're better off without them. They are heavy, and they are crappy platforms on one side, clipless connectors on the other.
    I guess I could weigh mine, since they are not on the bike, but what's the point?
    That's part of the reason why I haven't been real motivated to contact them about the pedals.