Thread: Fantom Ti

mtbr member
    Oct 2007

Fantom Ti

What is up with the titanium Fantom? Why would you call it a "trail" bike and use a SID? I mean I already know the answer, as usual Motobecane is trying to make the bike light rather than funtional. But on what planet is the SID considered a trail fork? Even on Rock Shox updated website they now have a trail category, but the SID is not in it. I think they should have used a Reba or Revelation.
    2012 On One Whippet 650b
    2012 Santa Cruz TRc 650b
    2014 On One Dirty Disco
    2010 Soma Groove
    1987 Haro RS1

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    no XTR on this setup either.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Based on the bike's ultra light weight, I assumed this model was desinged for more cross country/ race applications than trail/ all mountain. I read that the complete build (minus pedals) will be coming in at around 21.5 pounds- that's just insane!
    Ever been to Mountain Bike Tales Digital Magazine? Now if only the print rags would catch on!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by SlimTwisted
    Based on the bike's ultra light weight, I assumed this model was desinged for more cross country/ race applications than trail/ all mountain. I read that the complete build (minus pedals) will be coming in at around 21.5 pounds- that's just insane!
    i think you are thinking of the fly and not the fantom.....

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I reread my literature, it was the Fantom Pro Ti that I was referring to.

Maybe the pre-production specs were a bit optimistic?
    Ever been to Mountain Bike Tales Digital Magazine? Now if only the print rags would catch on!

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I say a trail bike, and not a XC bike because that is what they call it. In the links on the top of the page, there is a link to a Titanium Trail bike, and if you click on it you get the Fantom Ti. I copied the links and pasted below. There is a Titanium Racing Hardtail which is the Fly, and a Titanium Trail Hardtail which is the Fantom. Additionally they have speced it with SLX components, which is Shimanos new Trail line of components.

Jump to a Bike Category>> 29er | Titanium XC Racing Hardtail | Titanium Trail Hardtail | XTR Hardtail | XTR Full Suspension | XT Hardtail | XT Full Suspension | LX Hardtail | LX Full Suspension | Deore Hardtail | Deore Full Suspension | Altus/Alivio | Cyclocross | Replacement Derailleur Hangers
    2012 On One Whippet 650b
    2012 Santa Cruz TRc 650b
    2014 On One Dirty Disco
    2010 Soma Groove
    1987 Haro RS1

Frt Range, CO
    What makes a fork "trail" and what makes the current offering bad? Please relate it to riding, I'm not a suspension expert.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by pursuiter
    What makes a fork "trail" and what makes the current offering bad? Please relate it to riding, I'm not a suspension expert.
    "Trail" riding is kind of a new definition, maybe aggressive cross country would make more sense to most people. But it would include rougher terrain than typical cross country riding. But it is easiest to point out that a SID is a XC race fork. This means it is built light, with stiffness and strength being secondary concerns. The SID has never been intended to take a lot of abuse and has had a reputation as being a rather flexy and weak fork. The new SID is larger, so it is presumably stiffer and stronger. But even Rockshox does not list this as a trail fork, a quick look at their website and you can confirm this. http://www.sram.com/en/rockshox/trail/index.php
    So as far as how it relates to riding, if you hammer this fork it will break! So they should either call the bike a XC bike, or put an actual trail fork on it. The rest of the build of the bike is great, but I just question the use of the SID which obviously was chosen just so they could claim a low weight. Would it really hurt sales that much if the bike were 0.5lbs heavier?

Its a basic case of marketing over function.
    2012 On One Whippet 650b
    2012 Santa Cruz TRc 650b
    2014 On One Dirty Disco
    2010 Soma Groove
    1987 Haro RS1

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Disregard, MTBR just published a review of this bike that explains it all:

http://reviews.mtbr.com/blog/motobec...-pro-titanium/

$1695- definitely sounds like a steal!