mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Fantom Team out of stock next best deal?

So BD is out of stock on the Fantom Team DS. What is the next best deal in the market? Should I just wait until the 09's get here?

Is there anyone around central NC that has a Fantom I could look at and possibly ride for a min. To see how they fit me?
    Thanks,
    Guy

PS I did find an 08 Mongoos Canaan Elite for 1520.00 at a LBS. How does that compare?

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    The Canaan Elite is a nice bike. It is not as nice as the Fantom Team though. It is going to be a lot heavier also because it is an All Moutain bike whereas the Fantom is set up more like a XC bike. How much are you looking to spend, and what type of riding do you do?

Randall Scott has some nice Iron Horse bikes on sale. The DW link frames are pretty sweet.

Heres a XC bike http://www.rscycle.com/2008-Iron-Hor...7&category=531

So the Canaan Eilte would be a good choice for an all mountain bike, whereas the Ironhorse would be much better XC bike. The Fantom is nice though because it has an adjustable travel fork, and the rear travel can be adjusted so it can double as an all mountain and cross country bike. If you can be patient enough it might be better to wait for the 09s.
    2012 On One Whippet 650b
    2012 Santa Cruz TRc 650b
    2014 On One Dirty Disco
    2010 Soma Groove
    1987 Haro RS1

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I ride some paved trails but mostly off road. We ride single track with a lot of roots, turns and hills. No big jumps a few might get me 2-3 feet off the ground at the most. Fast down hill runs with rough roots. Would you be looking at a XC bike or an all Mountain bike for that type of ridding? What is the diff in the 2 styles?

The Fantom Team price (1900.00) is my high end price. I was actually looking to stay around 1500.00 but then looked at the Fantom and it just looks like such a great deal that I figured I could strech for that one.

Thank you for all the info!
    Guy

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    An all mountain bike is kind of a "jack-of all trades" bike. It is made so you can ride many different types of terrain. The problem is that while it is good at lots of things, it is not great at any of them. For example an all mountain bike has more travel and is heavier and more rugged than a XC bike, but it will be slower than a XC bike on XC terrain because it will bob more on hills and it weighs more.

The type of riding you are describing would be XC or trail (aggresive XC) but certainly not all mountain. You would be best off with a XC bike. Actually now that I look at the Canaan Elite is it a XC bike (100mm travel). I saw the Recon fork (which is usually used on AM bikes) and I mistook it for an AM bike. So the Canaan would probably be a great bike for you. Just keep in mind it is probaby close to 30lbs, so it is much heavier than the Fantom.
    2012 On One Whippet 650b
    2012 Santa Cruz TRc 650b
    2014 On One Dirty Disco
    2010 Soma Groove
    1987 Haro RS1

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Thank you again for all the help.
    Is there anything between the Canaan and the Fantom I should be looking at? I did demo a GF Hi Fi Plus and I really liked it but it's at 1800.00 and the Canaan has the same or better equipment for a few hundred less.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Have you checked out Ibex? The Asta series are pretty nice. This one is well speced. You could ask the guys over on the Ibex forum for more info if you are interested

http://ibexbikes.com/Bikes/ASTA-EXP-X9-Details.html

or for a little more

http://www.ibexbikes.com/Bikes/ASTA-PRO-Details.html
    2012 On One Whippet 650b
    2012 Santa Cruz TRc 650b
    2014 On One Dirty Disco
    2010 Soma Groove
    1987 Haro RS1

Former Bike Wrench
    Those Ibex bikes are a good suggestion except for the fact that the Asta-Pro is sold out and the Asta-Ex X-9 wont be shipping for a couple of months.

I would second the DW-Link Iron Horse Azure

If you happen to need a 19" frame, this Jamis Dakar XC Expert is a fantastic deal. I have personally purchased a bike from Bicycle Bananas and they were great.
    http://bicyclebananas.com/mm5/mercha..._Code=14-Jamis